Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Portfolio Critique (non-arch background)--any feedback appreciated

sasazuka

I decided to apply to architecture school at the last minute and so submitted a portfolio without having shown it to anyone. Critiques on other Archinect posts were helpful and so I am hoping that I can get a little feedback during this long waiting period. I am from an non-art, non-architecture background, but I did work for a year and a half in two arch firms but have no creative from those experiences (mostly office stuff and woodworking/fabrication). I was torn as to whether I should have tried to include those experiences in some way, or else go with the scattered projects that I ultimately settled on. Anyway, any opinions would be very helpful...I am curious how admissions/architecture people will view this.

http://issuu.com/sasazuka/docs/portfolio_issuu_2_11

thanks!

Feb 13, 11 9:46 am
Justin Ather Maud

The drawings are quite good, have any more?

Feb 13, 11 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Wow, from what you described in the post I was expecting very little, but that was excellent. I don't have enough experience to comment on the design work (although it looked great), but as for the drawings, they are all quite good except for the last one on the bottom right. I'd take that one out as it looks rushed and unresolved/unfinished. In the same vein, the ones immediately left and above it need to be enlarged; they are very emotional and haunting, which I think would be appreciated in the admission process. Many people can draw lifelike portraits and studies, but not everyone can convey that type of emotion.

Good luck with the admissions!

Feb 13, 11 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Very good, keep that bottom right photo though - it is a nice soft watercolor.
Perhaps you could have included work experience photos. Did you make models? I imagine every bit helps you as a non-architecture entry.

Anyways, you have skill and craft. Best of luck with offers.

Feb 13, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

dude! nice work.

where are you applying? i guess not japan since there is not portfolio requirement here. pity. would be nice if the talent would stay here for a change.

as far as the work goes, the drawings are nice but too careful to my mind, so i like the less controlled watercolors...

which proves that you should never listen to anyone here too carefully.

anyway, you needn't worry. the work is quite good and shows a degree of thoughtfulness that is not common for most in your position.

good luck.

Feb 13, 11 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

i'm also a non-art/non-arch applicant this year. your portfolio looks superb! best of luck!

would like to know where you are applying to as well!

Feb 13, 11 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

looks great! both the work and the layout/design are very nice

Feb 13, 11 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
sasazuka

JUMP~thanks for the feedback. Are you an architect in Japan? I am actually attending art school in Tokyo at present (just started) but have been pretty appalled by the lack of theory and academic rigor in general, and so am tentatively planning (if I get in somewhere) to quit this free government program and get myself some serious debt in the US. It would be great if there were a way to make things work in Tokyo, but because I am in a different department it has proved near impossible to even audit classes in architecture.

Feb 13, 11 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

yes saszuka, i am based in tokyo. small office hoping to be bigger. i did phd at u of tokyo and now also teach/research at keio.

the process is kind of difficult at japanese universities i agree. on the positive side, yusuke obuchi is now at u of tokyo doing interesting things there. you can see what is going on through here and here.

yusuke was one of the director's of the AADRL lab at the AA school in London. He came to Todai recently along with Kengo Kuma and now is teaching in English there. Based on the work going on it seems like he has really brought the AA to Tokyo, which is amazing. I loved my time at Todai but it was never this cutting edge.

Yusuke is pretty approachable. If you can find a way to speak to him he may have advice about the program that is not obvious from the regular architecture path...or he may not ;-)

as far as theory goes you are right. japanese archi-school is very pragmatic. if you want to do theory you will probably have to work that part out for yourself. I kind of liked that side of things when I was in school here but I had the advantage of a theory heavy M.Arch in Canada so it was like getting to see the other side of the coin.

Feb 14, 11 1:31 am  · 
 · 
sasazuka

thanks everyone for the quick feedback! I am really curious about what kind of portfolio has been successful for non-archs in the past. I have spoken to quite a few admission people and they assured me that they don't need to see specific arch stuff from non arch backgrounds, but looking at other portfolios I was surprised how many people have projects from summer intensive programs and I feel like mine lacks focus because it does not. The summer programs look great--unfortunately I have never had a summer that I don't have to work and have a pocketful of cash to burn!! Any tips would be great (any non-archs who got in where they wanted to?) as I see myself repeating this process in about 6 months and want to prepare myself...

Thanks again!

Feb 14, 11 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

Very nice drawings, and your other projects suggest great potential for you in architecture. Most first-professional master's programs are looking for visual literacy and the capacity to think three-dimensionally, and your portfolio showcases these abilities well.

You might want to attempt some more complex 3d work (digital or physical), but I appreciate your restraint in not making your portfolio a zillion pages long. Quality in this case is infinitely more important than quantity.

My only other suggestion is that you alter your text so that the projects are discussed in the third person. Saying 'I did/wanted to do this' or 'my idea was that' is often frowned upon in architecture school; the project should be about the design, not the person who designed it. A small distinction, but it can go a long way in terms of who will be seeing your work.

Nice job.

Feb 14, 11 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
sasazuka

Thanks again for the responses. I expected to be torn apart...I hope nobody was holding back! As for schools, I applied to:

UC Berkeley
California College of the Arts
University of Washington
City College (NY)

I am interested in design/build and attaining practical skills in general, so Yale would have been the best choice for me but I figured my portfolio was not of the caliber necessary to even bother. As it is, I think I should have applied to a program or two that it is easier to get in to. UCB (my alma mater, and cheap for a CA resident) was my top choice but my statement was unclear and my portfolio even less polished than now, so I am planning on doing this again next year and applying to ALL the schools that interest me.

Interesting that more than one person mentioned my drawings because I almost didn't include them--I figured that everyone has figure drawings and that, like photos, they are generally seen as filler.

Thanks again, and good luck to anyone who is waiting for school replies.

Feb 15, 11 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

I really like the letterpress flyer. I think your ideas on that project come through very well in the final product. I really like your portfolio as a whole too. I feel I am in the same boat as you as far as applications are concerned. I'm not very confident. Here is my shortened portfolio. It's very minimalistic.

Why do you feel your current version is lacking? My biggest complaint would be that, outside of the design work, you show a lot of technical skill but not as much creativity overall. I like your figure drawings, but they are a tease at the same time. I'd like to see you applying that skill in a more unique fashion, taking it a bit further somehow. It could be in a number of ways really. But it also might not be necessary.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think you might be surprised. Would you be able to afford CCA's tuition? I applied there. I visited and was plenty happy with the school, but I really don't want to go into that kind of debt. I think that I'm definitely in need of Berkeley's in-state. It's a bad circumstance to be in.

Feb 16, 11 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
sasazuka

Persimmons: Thanks for taking a look. I agree that I haven't included enough creativity--I have a lot of trouble coming up with my own projects and so ended up putting things in my portfolio that were created within a narrow set of (client) guidelines. When I try to do things myself I end up with massive-scale projects that I could never complete by myself. Part of the reason I am drawn to architecture school is that I never learned art/design and their processes in an academic setting and so feel like I have some technical skills but lack a sound approach. Some of my favorite designers studied architecture and then applied the thought process to product design and furniture design; working at smaller scales but applying broader processes.

Your portfolio looks good--did you do the Embarcadero project of your own volition or was it a school project? The sculptures are also great--did you make those with a group or by yourself?

I DO NOT have the money to pay for CCA, or even UCB, but I feel (kind of) prepared to take on some debt if I am pretty sure the program would be a good fit. Right now I have a full scholarship to study at an art school in Tokyo but there are no classes, no reading, and no guidance, so it's perfect for someone who has already had that and completely confusing for someone who has not.

Where did you apply? Did you talk to professors beforehand?

Feb 17, 11 2:49 am  · 
 · 
dionysus

Nice portfolio...it's really well laid out and the drawings are really well done (I like the little books...tight graphics!). Like above, maybe a little more 3D work would help it out a little, i think.

I just wanted to say good luck on cca! I applied there, too..and am dreading the potential debt as well...

Feb 17, 11 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
sasazuka

@arri

Thanks for the links. Kansas sounds really interesting but I would be a little worried about the distance (in every sense) from major job/cultural centers. Do you know much about the program? I would be happy to study outside of the big cities if there were a good connection to the cities for internships and employment...

Feb 17, 11 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
mkell

sasazuka, if you have any specific questions about Kansas, feel free to email me. I'm there now and would be happy to help.

Feb 17, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

sasazuka: if i have a m.arch, how do i get into a japanese art school w/ full scholarship?

Feb 18, 11 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

@persimmons and sasazuka

I am a M Arch student in CCA now. My school gave substantial needed-base scholarship to people who applied federal financial aid. Between scholarships, we didn't pay that much more than UCB in-state tuition.

As far as I know, we all are pretty happy in our school.

If you have more questions, you can email me.

Feb 18, 11 11:55 am  · 
 · 
sasazuka

@architectum:

The program I am on is administered through the Consulate General of Japan--You can find the nearest one to you on the Japanese Embassy website. The program accepts students from all over the world and from all fields, although art students are relatively rare. It's fully funded, which is amazing in this era, but keep in mind that the application process is very, very long!

Feb 18, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

@sasazuka

I did the summer program at Berkeley last year. My design projects originated there, but I changed them quite a bit after the fact. I think the summer programs are good for helping build a portfolio, but they are better for establishing connections and helping you assess if you really do want to pursue the program. I know what you mean about self imposed projects. After putting my applications together, I feel capable of doing so much more in that regard.

My sculptures are kind of well constructed larks. Unfortunately my documentation of everything is terrible because they are huge, and I complete them very shortly before the commissions are due.

I applied to UCB, CCA, Oregon, Texas at Austin, and Pratt.

@KTLRPP

That's great to hear. I knew CCA had a reputation for giving a lot, but I didn't realize it could compensate as much as that. I'm glad to know that it is a stronger possibility.

Feb 18, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
arri

Sasaka,
Sorry I don't know much about those programs. I wish I would have done more research into a arch program that developed "real world" experience.
A project on paper is not the same as a project that was built when looking for a job.

If you are interested give them a call send them an email. Make sure you know what you are getting in return from any architectural program.

Feb 18, 11 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
arri

Sasazuka
One other thing I want to mention. If design/build is a point of interest then look into universities that are involved in the Solar Decathlon

http://www.solardecathlon.gov/teams.html

Feb 18, 11 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: