Archinect
anchor

What GIS/mapping tools do you use?

I recently started a mapping software company after 10 years in the construction/civil engineering industries as a consultant. I do not have as good of grasp on the urban planning/architecture industries and am doing market research on what tools architects currently use. Any feedback on the tools or features currently in use would be really helpful.

Jul 16, 14 5:59 pm
BulgarBlogger

Architectural mapping is more along the lines of graphic design in the sense that it is more infographical than anything else. Check out this image done by a current professor at the University of Michigan- his name is Perry Kulper... http://archimorph.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/pk_davids_island.jpg

Believe it or not- all of his work was done by hand and on mylar... 

Other than that- software that spits out "analytic" information is more encountered in BIM and parametric programs such as Grasshopper for Rhino. 

I think that engineering mapping is much more dry in the sense that it just shows numbers, whereas architectural mapping strives to extract a meaning beyond what is already there; it doesn't just show a pattern or logic. 

Jul 18, 14 9:14 am  · 
 · 
gruen
What would be useful for me is an online GIS mapping program that would be a single portal to ALL available GIS data without having to load it myself. This tool would be able to download a map as DWG and REVIT format.
Jul 18, 14 9:36 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I learned ArcMap in school for during an interdisciplinary studio (arch/landscape/urban) but after schooling I looked for an open source alternative and found QGIS.  I really like using QGIS, I’d say it’s one of the few open source alternatives that actually looks and feels just as good as the paid-a-fortune software (I've just not found an 3D ArcScene alternative yet).  I probably don't use it to the extreme (but I'd like to develop my skills, hopefully in grad school) so there might be some other things that might be done better in ArcMap. The biggest issue with GIS is finding the .shp files.  Some places have fantastic intuitive libraries (DC) most not so much (rural Illinois).  

Jul 18, 14 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: