Archinect
anchor

Olaf Design Challenge

olaf design ninja

Dear Archinectors,

I am George the Nurse as they call me here at the ward (located down south somewhere) and I do most of Olaf's posting here. We call him Olaf Design Ninja because usually mid sentence he may spew something out like "voronoi space frame painted black with Barrisol fabric LED back lit" followed with "thank you George the Nurse for the apple juice." Olaf and his insane mates have become quite the architect fanatics. My wife really likes this Barrisol stuff, she is thinkin' she may just get an HGTV show...

A new nurse we now call Petey, who checked himself in recently was a former architect with a masters degree from Columbia living with his parents again making ends meet working here. He used to read the guys architecture theory and poetry by this Hejduk guy. The guys really liked it, but as they are idiot savants they wanted a challenge, so Petey started reading Peter Eisenman. Olaf ate the stuff up, but Petey checked himself in.

So Olaf has requested the Archinectors to help him develop his Voronoi Office Tower. Olaf wants to learn real architecture he says.

Olaf can do 3D a building in no time. Another architect has been coming in and giving Olaf things to work on, Olaf does it for free. I think one of Olafs model's won a competition. I told the guy to pay Olaf, but Olaf said he wanted to be a real architect.

Anyway, Olaf wants to know how does he jusitfy the office conceptually? Then how would the floor plans look? Then detailing and engineering. As mentioned Olaf's a computer whiz and will fill in the blanks visually.

Thanks for your time

George the Nurse

Dec 14, 10 9:56 pm
*your name

Is the red thing microphone?

Dec 14, 10 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

tell olaf to become an architect by drawing something, not having an orgasm while using rhino

Dec 15, 10 12:57 am  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

(3ds max; not too many clicks)

I'll start: put in some floor plates.

Dec 15, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 
207moak

if only 3ds max worked in the 3rd person...

Dec 15, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

It would help if the building weren't turned upside down. It looks awfully silly this way.

Dec 15, 10 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

George here

Translating Olafs tourette like outburst regarding the mention of Rhino, his father was killed in south africa by a charging Rhino, he says he uses the 3ds Max program and with 3 clicks will have floorplates done.

He thought by turning a building upside down it would fight gravity better...he thanks mix master for the kind advise and wonders why the right way up makes sense?

Olaf says according to moment diagrams all beams should be upside down.

Dec 15, 10 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja
100 floors CAD plans

if you'd like to continue in this Satire, plans of the envelope skin of all 100 floors for the Vuuve tower at link above.

yes that's a microphone, buildings should be listened to.

Dec 21, 10 12:41 am  · 
 · 
syp

Kinds of disappointing...

Dec 23, 10 11:56 am  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

there's 2 min of my life I can't get back wasted opening that CAD file.

Dec 23, 10 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Olaf says his feelings are hurt.
After reading all those cool monographs by hip architects with a zillion versions of a plan representing the design process he thought he would get respect from you architects,
He wanted your empathy for recognizing he too has no talent and must produce 100 versions before getting it right.

I told olaf maybe graphic design isn't for him.

Dec 23, 10 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Olaf wants to know which floor is best for the modern American family? And does one still put restaurants top floor?

Dec 23, 10 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Olaf is a lot of fun I think. What's next?

Aug 19, 16 12:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Olaf often wonders if "there is a there there and its good to know others know there is no there there." or so he says.

Hey tinnt, this is Petey, the architect who checked himself in and now has checked himself out to help my fellow mates carry on designing in this mad house.

George called it a day recently after waiting weeks for checks in the mail which was part of some pyramid mailing scam - also known as the business of Architecture.

Olaf did finish the basic floor plans for this tower, shown here

Aug 19, 16 7:40 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Petey, here again, I asked Olaf what's next as you were wondering as written in your post.

Says he needs free interns and who can model with chipboard and foam a more PARAMETRIC version of his master piece.  How does one make mushrooms more parametric? and are Mushrooms parametric?

Aug 19, 16 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is that solar roofing I see there?

Aug 19, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: