Archinect
anchor

Looking for a job? Go to Norway (via 75000$/year)

Anders

I recently accepted a job offer in Bergen, Norway, after being unemployed for about 10 months in my home country, Denmark.

The company I work for were looking for two new landscape architects. They got seven applications, had three at an interview, and hired two. This is the first job for both of us, we are fresh out of university with a MSc in Landscape Architecture, and they pay a standard 75,000$/year.

Nov 16, 10 9:31 am
vado retro

i have a friend who lives there. beautiful city.

Nov 16, 10 10:19 am  · 
 · 
farougi

but it rains so much!! :)

Nov 16, 10 11:48 am  · 
 · 
crave

i have a friend

he's taking a job in norway and moving his family over there. i don't know all the specifics but i think it's doing government work.

Nov 16, 10 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

what does 75K USD mean? that you must be compensated that much? does EU citizenship play into it?

Nov 16, 10 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Anders

@jplourde

It means that the 75K USD salary I get (and my co-worker from Croatia (non-EU), who was hired at the same time, gets) is a normal start salary for a newly graduated architect/landscape architect with no work experience in Norway.

Nov 16, 10 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
sterlingegwu

@Anders greetings. Please can you assist me with firms i could attach with in Norway. I have my degree in Architecture. Thank you. My e-mail is: stirlingegwu@gmail.com

Jun 3, 18 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Well, then we should all move to Norway, it seems! How do they feel about English speaking-American educated architects?

Nov 16, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Norway does top the yearly list of the #1 country in the world every single time.

The high pay is relative to high cost of living though. Which is still miles better than low pay and low cost of living. At least with former you can prioritize in life...

Norway does have a very insular society, so it would not be a great fit for all the loudmouths on archinect. Like me!

Nov 16, 10 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm American Norske....you think they would take me back. I looked at the Jobs....an well I don't think I want to be a security guard part time for the American Embassy.....or a privater Chef for some rich family. I didn't see one Architecture Add. Yes I did check every community just to be sure. Skoal! Oh ya beer is really expensive in Norway....so I don't think I could live on $75,000.00..

Nov 16, 10 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

I did not need another excuse to move to a place like Norway after school. but I do thank you for it.

Nov 16, 10 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
paulo.knocks

fyi 75,000 USD in Norway is quite a bit different than the same pay in your average american market. It doesn't go nearly as far...

congrats on the poster for landing a good job however.

Nov 17, 10 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

What's mildly funny is that Norway has a minimum wage for those working in the building industry of 16 Euros an hour (approximately $44,000 USD).

If you use this -- http://www.skatteetaten.no/Applikasjoner/Enkel2010_26032010.htm -- you can calculate what your rough net pay is. Although I have no idea what I'm actually doing, I put in the equivalent of $75,000 with a $5,000 car and $5,000 in the bank account.

Ended up with 336,000 NOK (around $55,000) after taxes.

Seems like a lot but then you have to figure in VAT on everything you spend (20% of what ever you buy). Rent in the city center seems to run about $1000.

Nov 17, 10 1:34 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Unicorn: Thanks for crunching the numbers. That still looks really good. It took me 9+ years to get to $70K here in Merica. After tax (NYC) that number was $49K. Sure, the VAT sucks, but $70K right out of the gate (if this is true) is kind of amazing.

Nov 17, 10 2:22 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

I remember going out for pizza and coke in Oslo, ending up in a rather shabby pizza-place - ending up with a bill of about 50$ for tasteless pizza and a small coke. Other than that, the entire stay was insanely expensive. Maybe 75.000$ over there is hardly enough to live off?

Nov 17, 10 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Anders

This was no joke post, and it is all true. I posted this as an idea for people who have the option to move around, and are tired of being unemployed. Of course there is not jobs for every single unemployed architect, but Norway is one of the countries with lowest unemployment rate ( http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=z9a8a3sje0h8ii_&met=unemployment_rate&idim=eu_country:NO&dl=no&hl=no&q=norge+arbeidsledighet ).

The 75K$ should of course be seen according to living cost. Yes, pizza and beer is expensive, but I can easily save up 2000$/month. Tax is around 28-36%.

Nov 17, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

They also get like 30 days of vacation time in Europa, 10 days sick leave and 15 days of personal leave or something like that, the hours are not as crazy as in Amerigo, its more about quality than quantity and speed. Also, free healthcare is there I think, so you don't need to worry about being unemployed without insurance, you get health care automatically if you live there.

Nov 18, 10 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Hi Anders, I am a fresh graduate from Denmark and I am very excited with you post. Maybe you can help me with something. Is there anyway, I can mail you?

Nov 29, 12 8:58 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

What a dump!

Nov 29, 12 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

from what I hear, upon graduating you are considered an architect....Norway must be a very dangerous place!

Nov 29, 12 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

Say what?  Are there Norwegian firms that are literally paying in American dollars?  Seems like the employees are getting scammed on some currency arbitrage with that shit.

Oh, and pictures of nordic countries during the summer are always misleading.  You've got to remember that it's lights out (and cold) up there for half the year.

Yo!

Nov 29, 12 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
ashkan

Hi Anders,

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

I am a L.A with a master degree and some years experiences. I'm really interested to work in Norway. Do you think there are any chances for me? May I ask you for some help on this matter? Thank you.

My email: ashkan_nochian@hotmail.com

Sep 20, 14 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

dollar conversion

Sep 21, 14 10:10 am  · 
 · 
fizashaikh

Hi Anders,

Thanks for the information. Can you email me please: fizashaikh@gmail.com? It sounds super interesting!

Sep 22, 14 5:10 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

You guys know that this is an almost 4 years old thread, right?

Sep 22, 14 7:29 am  · 
 · 
arkitekt i norge

I hate this post..it's so misleading..I have been living in Norway for almost an year and I still haven't found a job here..Unless you know Norwegian SERIOUSLY consider coming here at your own risk!! The European market is down..and this is a developed country with a minuscule population and ridiculously expensive hence not much of exciting construction happening here to be honest.Also the firms rarely reply to you if your resume is not in "Norsk".Mind you people speak good English here..but they still need the language for some reason..also learning language here in 3500 NOK per month!!!Convert it..you'll know!! So basically no job because no Norwegian ~ And learning Norwegian fucking expensive ~ Life is tuff!!  A well known firm is keeping me as an option and giving me false hopes from last two months that they will give me a position..but in reality are waiting for their Norsk speaking architect to come along!! I know far too many stories of people desperate to find a job here..some from top ranking colleges with killer credentials but not Norsk!!  Don't come here unless you have a lot of money to survive between jobs. However people in general are nice and welcoming also beautiful country..but they will give you a job if "Du kan snakke norsk".

Apr 18, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
raseelabdo

Hello Anders,

I am a landscape architect with around 2 years experience. I am actually very interested in working abroad and Norway seems like a good choice! If you can please send me more info of the possible jobs available or just help me out in where to look as all i am finding is in narogian making it diffecult to find a job. This is my email raseel.abdo@gmail.com i would appreciate the help.

Regards,

Raseel Abdo

Jun 5, 16 3:16 am  · 
 · 
mohamedwasim

Hi,I am an architectural student at india and i wish to do my intern program at norway....is that possible?i hv choosen that place because my father is an uk citizenship holder and now he is working there..so i thought of accomodate  with him.so can i get a job?guide me pls

thank u

Sep 2, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The last three posts are hilarious.

Oct 11, 16 5:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't know, maybe we're all job hunting the wrong way.

Oct 11, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Norway is expensive, but it seemed to be a bit less expensive to me this time around than last time. When I went in 2011 it was about 5 kroner to a dollar, and now it is over 8. Lunch is still around $20, dinners $30 (with just water to drink). Plus gas is crazy expensive. You might be getting a higher wage over there, but you're paying a lot more too.

Oct 11, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Bench

I actually found the wages in Norway to be totally in line with the cost of living. My offer there was way more than I was expecting to get (and that was as a student), and completely made up for the high prices. Compared to wages vs. cost-of-living ratios in major cities (London, Sydney, Vancouver, Hong Kong, New York) I found it to be really good...

These thread replies though... are you kidding me? If I was hiring and you tried to get at me through a forum via messaging I'd definately be black-listing you.

Oct 11, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

You all realize this a 2010 zombie thread that keeps getting bumped right?

Oct 11, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

.....You do realize.....

Oct 12, 16 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oct 12, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Oct 12, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^this is not how you look for jobs.

Oct 29, 16 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
mohammedthawfick

Hello Anders,

I am Architect from India nationality with 10yrs experience currently working in Qatar country I am willing to work in Norway.

My email I'd is architectmohammed@gmail.com

Jan 3, 18 8:11 am  · 
 · 
randomised

This is so going to work...

Jan 3, 18 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mo, cost of application is $1200 USD. Please forward the fee to me and I'll make sure your name is first on the list.

Jan 3, 18 8:51 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

kan du norsk?

Jan 3, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I am a Canadian licensed architect and willing to move to Norway for $70,000. Please contact me. 

Jan 3, 18 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

$70000 is not going to get you very far though, going out for a simple beer sets you back a whopping $10 per pint.

Jan 4, 18 1:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

One, you should be making $70K CAD as a licensed architect already...

Jan 4, 18 8:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

But you do need some proper qualifications if you want to join their "AIA", and without such membership it is very hard landing clients, you'll always be someone else's employee with a glass ceiling way below that of qualified/real architects...

Jun 4, 18 4:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No average Joe client from Norway will hire a foreign architect not living in Norway to do average Joe architecture. You're not going to be competitive, don't know local customs, materials, climate , builders, language, advisers, regulations, where to find additional staff, etc. times infinity, not to mention the metric system...so you don't need a license to practise there, try getting into the country and get a working visa first.

Jun 4, 18 5:26 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ever been to Norway Rick?

Jun 4, 18 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Since I'm getting pinged by this necropost, ricky, for the record, you would not last 2min trying to get work done in canada... and we're just a teeny-tiney bit away from you. I can't imagine the difficulty getting something done in Norway. Maybe we can suggest this to the next "help me do my thesis please" post.

Jun 4, 18 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, you can't just walk into British Columbia and offer building design services... even if you can weasel into the excluded building types, the AHJ can (and will) request a architect or p.eng stamp if they feel it appropriate regardless of the AIBC link.

Jun 4, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Rick, you are talking about working abroad, yet never left the States(is what I distill from the passport talk)maybe focus on your local market first before you are even considering expanding your one man show abroad :)

Jun 4, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Actually Ricky, the local AHJ and municipalities can impose their own restrictions. Regardless of how much you argue, it’s just not something you can walk in on especially with your excessive lack of knowledge.

Jun 4, 18 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

"British Canada"? You've built a time machine?

Jun 4, 18 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, have you ever stopped to consider that some of us might know a thing or two about this? Trying hard here to educate you that not everything is black and white with an easy balkins clause.

Jun 4, 18 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, are you happy with posting long comments (that are usually factually incorrect) constantly as your life's work?

Jun 5, 18 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’m probably getting more entertainment than is healthy out of this new Balkins hole. Ricky, the first code is the NBC (where part 3 and 9 originated from) which was modified to the BC code. Each municipality has its modification and supplemental conditions, both code wise and architect reqs + AHJ. It get more complicated than that, obviously, but that’s clearly above your pay level. Point is, you’ve generalized and assumed on a subject you have no practical experience in... and failed gloriously at Learning something. For the record, exempt buildings in my province still require a registered professional C/w exams and local training. So take a step back and trust that we know a thing or two more than you.

Jun 5, 18 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, regarding British Columbia, several municipalities clearly state in their building permit departments that the property owner must provide sealed drawings at the request of the AHJ even if the project itself typically falls within your precious exempt category. I won't read the rest of your rant.

Jun 5, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This is hilarious. Watching an unqualified somebody who's never been to a country, "educating" those of us who live and work there as licensed professionals.

Jun 5, 18 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, if some random wanker came in for a permit submission and gave the plans examiner a work-around legal weaseling show like you're doing here, they would immediately reject the application on the basis that the designer/applicant is unqualified. And before you rant-off, I've seen it happen numerous times. Take your own advice here and actually do real research if you want to play in this field.

Jun 5, 18 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Rick imagine how much you could have learned over the course of this decade, if even 10% of the time you spent here had been spent asking questions.

Jun 5, 18 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Imagine how much he could have learned over the course of the last 12hrs just on this one reply thread. 

Ricky, the BC codes are a known clusterfuck. There is no way an un-experienced foreigner can successfully complete design docs in a quality way that would compete with local junior college level staff.

Jun 5, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

which would get you no-where. How hard is it for you to understand this?  It's like you've never done this before.

Jun 5, 18 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes I am, and I am correct with that. Live with it.

It protects the public from weasels like yourself.

Jun 5, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

A lot has happened since 12:15 too. I sent a bid set to the printers, had two web meetings w/consultants, and picked up my car from the shop. What have you done Rick? (and yes I know there's a 3-hour time difference, so don't give me "it's only 12:21".  What have you done with the last 3 hours besides post here?)

Jun 5, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're really trying hard to keep your delusions alive here Ricky. If the Plans Examiner, or even the building inspector deems it necessary, they can request any additional documentation including seals at their discretion if it impacts building code or building performance (seismic & thermal). You would know this if you had even completed one project here, but you have not. Count yourself lucky BC still has a small avenue for unlicensed folks to wiggle around. Where I practice (Ontario), you can't even offer an opinion on the building code unless you have a stamp or BCIN registration. BC will catch up soon enough.

Jun 5, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

JB, I replied to one of Ricky's posts while waiting in my bank's lobby. In less time than he's taken to reply with his nonsense, I made a significant contribution to my son's education investment fund.

Jun 5, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, a plans examiner is within their right to request anything be stamped if it falls too far outside of the typical realm... exempt building or not. In many instances, say with the dumb folks buying stock plans online, this will likely involve plans and elevations at a minimum. It is also very likely that if the documents appear to be produced professionally (vs by a homeowner or hired highschool student), the plans examiner will request the identification of the draftsman or source. This is because when dealing with exempt projects (in BC or elsewhere in canada), the final responsibility falls on the building owner as they complete the job ie. If it looks like the docs were outsourced to a 3rd party, the city will want to know who and may seek that party to take responsibility in addition to the owner. Again, I'm speaking from experience, while you're rambling off misinformed assumptions and generic legalspeak. It's far more complicated than you think it is.

Jun 5, 18 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

"This isn't a Banana republic/dictatorship that we are talking about. "

I dunno, Ontario is about to possibly elect a populist businessman who doesn't appear to understand what a budget is, may have embezzled millions from his only profitable company (which he inherited), and was possibly a drug dealer in high school.

Sounds like the start of a banana republic to me!

Jun 5, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ Certainly makes your cosy NY digs sound better.... we'll see what happens on thursday. eugh.

Jun 5, 18 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Why are you summarizing laws of a place where you don't work, don't live, and is not the subject of the thread?  Who is it supposed to be useful to?

Jun 5, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

On the flip side, I am reminded who the supreme leader is on this side every time I run through Central Park and get visually assaulted by his name-emblazoned hotel. Sigh.

Jun 5, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

"Because I can read laws and understand them better than ALL of you combined even if you all lived to be a billion years old, each."   Really?  Got any evidence?  I mean, we're the ones getting the projects built, and...

Jun 5, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Something about pots and kettles?

Jun 5, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, you have not demonstrated that you understand the law better than anyone here. Case in point, everything everyone has written in response.  

We've actually stopped chasing some projects in BC because of the difficulties with the arch association. Can't imagine how someone with zero experience can do better simply because they can google.

Jun 5, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, advertising regicide are we now?

Jun 5, 18 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Balkins, this licensing issue is completely beside the point. Whether you're a licensed architect or an unlicensed designer, without a work permit from Canada you can't visit Canada for any length of time for the purpose of work if you're being paid by someone in Canada. You can only visit Canada as a "work visitor" without a permit if the work you're doing is both primarily conducted from outside of Canada AND your pay comes from outside of Canada.

Jun 5, 18 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, with your last (and edited) post, it's clear you don't know much about the architect's role either.

Jun 5, 18 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Spontaneous, you know he's furiously googling away and is going to come back with his superior interpretation as to why you're wrong. You could link him right to the statute on a government site and he's still going to come back with something "more correct" from Wikipedia.

Jun 5, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This whole thread is amazing. I've gone from thinking that Balkins is a well-intended autistic 14 year old, to actually feeling sad for him because he's so clearly uninformed.

I say this with hesitation because I'm genuinely scared that Rick might be the sort to take up arms and start shooting motherfuckers out of frustration. I'm not joking. 

Jun 5, 18 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

As someone who has actually lived and worked in both countries - just because you say you have the correct documentation, doesn't mean squat. Any boarder guard can (and will) deny you entry if they have any whim that you may be looking for work in the other country.They do not need tangible proof, just probable cause - which includes their intuition.

Read: they can deny you entry based on a hunch. Considering you've noted here that you've never actually had a paying client, ever, it would be hard to prove that your US-based business was "real" in any sense of the term.

Jun 5, 18 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

...and that you weren't making money while inside the country. Basically the legislation that Rick references above, refers to couriers picking up goods in Canada for sale in the US, more or less. It has NOTHING to do with performing work as we're discussing. It scares me that he doesn't know the difference. Holy fuck.

Jun 5, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

... even if someone is going across the boarder for meetings on a regular basis (in a totally legitimate, B-visa manner) - I personally know people who have been denied entry after doing it too many times in a compressed timeframe, just because it looked odd. They ended up having to get TN visas to continue the work.

Jun 5, 18 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I would have thought, with all your superior legal interpretation skills, that you would have noticed the placement of the comma. It's not that your primary source of income needs to be outside of Canada. It's that you cannot be coming into the country and earning any income within Canada without a work permit. It doesn't make any difference if you're an employee or an independent contractor - you can't be a "business visitor" if your activity earns any income from a Canadian source. There's no minimum number of days for that. But hey, don't believe me - go do it, and see what happens. Oh wait, what am I saying. You never go and DO anything - you just pontificate about it.

Jun 5, 18 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Exactly. The actual regulation states that the primary source of remuneration for the business activities must be outside Canada. If you enter Canada to meet about or work on a building design project for a Canadian client then the primary source of remuneration for that business is within Canada - hence you need a work permit.  Again:  just do it.  We're all better off with you detained in Canada.

Jun 5, 18 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just leave all your guns at home before attempting to cross.

Jun 5, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

He stated in another thread that he locks up his guns when he's angry. Doesn't that make everybody feel safer?

Jun 5, 18 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

"You're not going to be competitive, don't know local customs, materials, climate , builders, language, advisers, regulations, where to find additional staff, etc" 

Translation: You don't have "Norwegian Experience"

Jun 4, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry Rick, it seems you have been in Norway :)

Jun 5, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier
Hey Rick, can you do the Truffle Shuffle?
Jun 6, 18 2:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: