Archinect
anchor

Mechanical Room Rating Requirement

aadesign

Good afternoon all,

I've been studying since several code sections trying to find out whether a mechanical room needs to be rated or not. Here the facts:

its a 2 story F-4 in NYC (or A-2 as per 2008) fully sprinklered space. prep in cellar, eating an drinking on first floor . Construction Class is IIB.

There is a 30 tonne unit on cellar level, feeding both floors. No combustion. 

As far as I know all penetrating ducts have dampers.

My question is if i need a rating on the mechanical room demising walls and door.

It would be great to get some feedback or if someone could direct me to a code section that will answer my question.

Thank you very much!

Jun 9, 14 2:18 pm
gruen
Depends on size of the unit and size of the room. Read the building code, mechanical code and appropriate NFPA codes.
Jun 9, 14 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Palowe

Have you checked BC 508? If you say all penetrations have dampers that implies you have a fire rated wall, whether is 1hr or 2hr.

Jun 10, 14 9:59 am  · 
 · 
gruen
There might be a floor rating w/o any wall rating reqmt. OP needs to give us more info about the equipment and room size
Jun 10, 14 10:57 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Check fire code too
Jun 10, 14 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: