Archinect
anchor

What can i do to make a computer generated vector drawing appear hand drawn?

mark lower

i really like the look of mixed media drawings that has been done originally by hand

but i don't have the time to draw it by hand and then scan it and so on...

so please if you know a way to have a computer generated drawing look hand drawn... i would really appreciate it if you would share it here

thanks

Sep 26, 10 1:16 pm
achensch

as you're exporting (to .pdf, .jpg or whatever), shake or hit your computer really hard.

Sep 26, 10 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

check out his videos, they are great and if you skim through, they go into using PS & IA

http://brentchamberlain3d.blogspot.com/

Sep 26, 10 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
druf

1. Plot it as a PDF (or I guess you could scan it too)

2. Put it in Photoshop and save it as a JPEG

3. Take the JPEG and apply a Filter to it. Fliter -> Distort -> Glass. You can play around with the settings to make it more or less squiggly to your taste.

4. Save it as a PDF (or print)

Sep 26, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

There is an AutoCAD plugin that will turn all lines into shaky handrawnings. I assume most apps have something like that.

Here's a random app that does that.

The results (that I've seen) have all been universally comic and cheesy. Your mileage may vary.

Sep 26, 10 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Export to .eps.
Duplicate drawing 3 times. Click styles -> Pencil & Ink or whatever.

Put a different pen/pencil style on each of the three copies. Play with line size to make sure none of them look tooo comical. Weld lines together if necessary.

Transparency -> Multiply each layer with darkest layer ontop. Play with color and transparency.

Nudge each layer with the arrow keys til each layer is a few pixes off from one another.

????

profit.

Sep 26, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
nathanoj

...reconsider

Sep 26, 10 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

print/trace/scan.... snap the lines also.... not that hard...

Sep 26, 10 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

I prefer nathanoj's suggestion. Otherwise you're in the land of skeuomorphs, where no architect should tarry.

Sep 26, 10 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

where's the like button... for nathanoj and Donna

Sep 26, 10 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Use autodesk impression, it's fairly easy to use.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=9246650&siteID=123112

Sep 27, 10 1:49 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

i think that technique is used best on foam Corinthian capitals, crown molding and EIFS details...

Sep 27, 10 8:53 am  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

noone here has ever used "Squiggle"?

while i agree with those who dislike the idea of turning something into a hand-drawn image instead of just drawing the damn thing...i think you could just import that .dwg into sketchup, tweak the style and voila!!!, another masterpiece.

Sep 27, 10 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

1. Photoshop filters like watercolor filter etc. if you are talking about a rendered image...

2. If you are talking about a vector linework drawing, print to PDF, open it in illustrator and select your lines, and change your lifestyle to a pencil or other hand drawn line... Also, in illustrator you can adjust lineweights, and, to get the most rough look, tweak sone of your lines to be imperfect in cad before you bring it into illustrator, end of lines a little bit longer and a tiny bit "off"...

Actually if it is a rendered view for really nice effects and results combine 1 and 2 above: layer a Photoshop filtered image with a vector overlay of a hidden line view of the render that you have brought into illustrator and applied a pencil line style to the linework... You can also slightly offset the pencil linework to make it look less perfect and also adjust certain lines you want to emphasize to be heavier handed while in illustrator...

Make sense?

Sep 27, 10 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Actually in Photoshop, there is also a function that let's you isolate the edges as lines... I forget what it is called, but if you run that, and make that it's own layer overlay, maybe you can skip the illustrator step... You can Aldo apply a filte to that photshop linework layer...

Sep 27, 10 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

a few rendering packages, like Final Render, have good pen-like modes. Otherwise, Photoshop transforms work well.

Sep 28, 10 10:33 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

There is a command called 'napkin sketch' starting in Arch Desktop 04, I believe. You definitely want to do a save as, because I'm pretty sure it turns your drawing into a new block with wavy, sketchy lines.

I agree with everyone else, just bring the acad drawing into SketchUp, Photoshop, or Illustrator.

Sep 28, 10 11:01 am  · 
 · 
jcr

ArchiCAD will produce any rendering in a variety of line weights, pencil types, pen types, etc. simply by using the Sketch Rendering option. It will look hand-drawn. It works good for presenting drawings that don't appear too "finalized" for your clients.

Sep 28, 10 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

why not print the drawing; place a beautiful sheet of double matte mylar over it; then trace it with your own hand...........beautiful!!!!!!!

Sep 29, 10 8:54 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I hate this question,ugh! To me, it's like saying "how can I make Styrofoam look like stone?"

Sep 29, 10 9:51 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

While I can appreciate where most are coming from when they say that this idea makes their stomach turn, there are, in fact, some times when making a cad drawing appear less rigid is a plus.

I do a lot of residential and small commercial addition projects. After going out and doing a field survey of the existing conditions, I will typically come back to the office and place everything in cad. It's easy and efficient to quickly layout everything. However, when it comes time to present a couple of options, it's nice to have a way of communicating a schematic idea to the client. Hard lines scare the client and make them think that nothing can be changed. They look too much like construction drawings.

When I have the time, I always prefer to throw some trace over the hardline drawing and do a quick 'fat pen' sketch. But sometimes, I don't have that time. Options mentioned above help in that regard.

Sep 29, 10 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: