Archinect
anchor

Selling architectural books

Paradox

I have quite a few architectural books (some of them are textbooks some of them are not) that I don't use anymore so I want to sell them but I don't know how.I tried selling them on Amazon but since I haven't sold anything over there I don't have a rating thus nobody buys from me.I paid hefty price for most of them so I don't want to donate them.Any suggestions?

Sep 16, 10 7:30 pm

put up a list here...

Sep 16, 10 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i don't think having a rating or not stops people from buying on amazon

i started selling stuff over there a couple of years ago (no ratings, people starting buying right away). i still have 70 or so items but since the good stuff is gone i haven't sold anything for months.

but yeah, put up the list let's see whatcha got !!

Sep 16, 10 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Ok I compiled a list for you.

Textbooks:
-Architecture from Prehistory to Postmodernity
-Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings
-Architecture and Landscape: The Design Experiment of the Great European Gardens and Landscapes
-The Poetics of Gardens
-The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice
-Site Planning and Design Handbook by Thomas H. Russ
-Architectural Graphics
-Building Construction Illustrated

Others:

-Towards a new architecture by Le Corbusier
-Architecture as Space by Bruno Zevi
-Oxford Dictionary of Architecture
-The Ten Books on Architecture
-Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture by Venturi

-Big Ideas Small Buildings
-Icons of Architecture the 20th century
-Architecture NOW vol.2
-Book of Houses by Evergreen

Sep 16, 10 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Seeker

Do you live near any Architecture School? If so, have you considered putting the books in a suitcase (with wheels) and going there to try to sell them to architecture students directly? I think that’s probably your best option.

Sep 17, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
jcr

I've been able to get a fair price for my old books from used bookstores like Pegasus. Try checking in with any of the used bookstores where you live. Ask if they buy books, take them in and let them make you an offer. It's a good way to supplement the rent!

Sep 17, 10 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

i'm a book junkie, but those titles are pretty common. i'm not sure you'll get much out of them. i mean, i've still got two copies of meeb around here somewhere that i've thought about just recycling....

Sep 18, 10 8:11 am  · 
 · 
andytee

I do great with this sort of stuff on Amazon. Post good descriptions, set fair prices, and expect sales at the beginning of semesters. Works for me.

Sep 20, 10 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

some of books are not worth listing on amazon

check pricing with amazon, and if lowest price is less than $5, you might as well burn them

Sep 21, 10 4:34 am  · 
 · 
jcr

Burn them??? No, donate them!!! Take them to a nearby high school. The titles might be "pretty common" but to a high school student interested in architecture they might provide needed inspiration.

Sep 21, 10 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Nearby high school is a stretch. They will sit in a box which will get kicked around for a few months before being thrown out. Take them to a thrift shop or your library. These places are scouted regularly by dealers; the good books will join the used book market and be available at a good price while the common worthless titles will gracefully disappear.

Sep 21, 10 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Thanks for all the responses.Do you think I should try ebay also?

Sep 21, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Uncle Pennybags

Selling your books?

I once had an incident when I mortgaged both Oriental and Vermont Avenues just to get a bushel of the finest Indochine madak.

Sep 21, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

which edition is your arch. handbook of pro. practice? mine is old and i could use another paper weight.

Sep 21, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

It is 13th edition DQ.

Sep 21, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

how much are you asking for it?

Sep 21, 10 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I sent you an email DQ.

Sep 21, 10 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

I've sold a few of the books on your list through half.com- the key is to try to have the lowest prices in the book's quality category...unless there are outrageously low-priced ones.

Sep 22, 10 11:31 am  · 
 · 
andytee

Parad0xx, you wanna just post a price list here? I could use a copy of the Ten Books. Maybe a few others.

Sep 22, 10 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

where are you Parad0xx86?

If you have Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings 10th edition, I'm definitely interested in buying it, assuming you have a convenient and low-cost way for getting that tome to NYC. How much do you want for it?

Sep 22, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Yes it is 10th edition Urbanist.I looked up the prices and lowered it slightly a little so I say 60$ is fair because the book hasn't been used much and looks like brand new.

I live kind of close to NYC to if you want I can give it in person thus no shipping costs would be necessary.

Sep 22, 10 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

$60 is fine ParadOxx86. No hurry.. just let me know when you're next in or near NYC.. or if you're in North Jersey, I go there a lot.

Sep 22, 10 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

-Architecture from Prehistory to Postmodernity 65$
-Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings 60$
-Architecture and Landscape: The Design Experiment of the Great European Gardens and Landscapes 100$ (Like new)
-The Poetics of Gardens 9$
-The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice Student Edition 50$
-Site Planning and Design Handbook by Thomas H. Russ 80$ (like new)
-Architectural Graphics 20$
-Building Construction Illustrated 3rd edition 15$

I figured the others wouldn't worth much money.Like the Ten books on Architecture..I think I'll just donate the non textbook ones.

Sep 23, 10 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
m.kelly

After being in a similar situation, with lots of extra architecture books, I would avoid Amazon Seller central at all costs. Amazon charged me £30/$45 to register as a seller then then they rejected my account, and will not refund the money after trying to contact customer service 10+ times.  Ebay works well, it is simple and easy to sell online. Please, avoid Amazon at all costs. 

Oct 22, 23 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: