Archinect
anchor

Does Anybody Recognize this Architecture?

Kadath

Hello,

I have kind of a different question for anybody who has experience with European and/or Middle Eastern architecture. Attached is an image from the Nintendo 64 game Super Mario 64. I remember seeing this image when I was a kid, and it seems to be an edited photograph so I'm really curious to know where it was taken. I have read comments on video game forums saying that this could have been taken somewhere in Turkey, based on the temple at the top of the hill. That is what I am thinking too, but perhaps it is in a nearby or neighboring country instead. Does anybody have any idea where this image could have been taken originally?

May 31, 14 6:41 pm
accesskb

it looks like a photo that was copied and repeated 4 or 5 times throughout the image

May 31, 14 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
ashleymathews2003

Looks a bit like Shibam, Yemen.

Jun 1, 14 2:20 am  · 
2  · 
pokeheadroom

wow! it sure would've been nice if this popped in popularity as opposed to the casares claims from a few years ago

Feb 26, 21 7:50 am  · 
1  · 
charlycn

Too bad that this was not so well known, and it took almost 7 years for it to be better known.

Feb 26, 21 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Kadath

Wow, thanks! I'm really impressed with the knowledgeably of the people on this forum. Based on what I read after seeing the responses, it seems that the repeated buildings in the image are definitely from somewhere in Yemen, if not Shibam itself.

Does anybody have an idea of where the temple comes from?

Jun 2, 14 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
bLAyer

It's most definitely Atlantis, come on!

Jun 3, 14 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: