Archinect
anchor

Is there a "hiring season" in architectural field?

paranoir

I've been looking for an entry level architect position for the last 2 months and got some feedback saying position filled. Some of my fellow classmates having pretty much same professional/ educational experience as myself but started job hunting from Jan. have already got offers from large firms like RTKL/Corgan/HGA....I'd consider my portfolio, if not better than, as least around the same level as theirs. So is it really because of timing? Is there really a "hiring season" ? Usually around what time? Any suggestions for a rookie starting job-hunting? 

BTW, since a lot of firms don't reply anything, how long would you wait until you think your might not be considered for the position?

May 24, 14 9:16 am
LITS4FormZ
Depending on where you are but ideally you plan in the winter and build in the spring, summer and fall. Hiring cycles can follow this same trend, as the previous year closes your client will start running their budgetary numbers for the next year, determining how much they will build.

As your client gets a better picture on their year they reach out to you to start mapping out their projects. This lets you and your firm figure how what additional staffing you may need for the year. I work in the same market as the firms you mentioned and their massive hiring spree was all related to this trend.

However, projects come and go at any time, people leave for various reasons so you never know when their is truly a need. But my firm operates as I mentioned above and any "hiring season" happens in the first half of the year and generally falls off in the summer.

...I didn't officially start my job until late August after graduating in May. Things are much better now and there are quite a few more job postings out there than previo
May 24, 14 10:37 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Previous years....stupid iPhone
May 24, 14 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Bench

It goes without saying, but their is a huge influx of applicants in the summer when students are looking for their 3-4 month internships. I've found its best to wait that out as firms seem to be pretty sick of even looking at resumes once thats over.

To set yourself apart from them, I found in the past that interjecting in the conversation at some point to bluntly state that you are NOT looking for a summer internship, but are in fact looking for a full-time position as you've already graduated, tends to help get you a lot further. It doesn't even need to be that subtle honestly - they'll appreciate the fact that you are looking for a more serious commitment and that you're up front about it.

May 24, 14 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
paranoir
@LITS4FormZ
So does it mean if I miss the "hunting" in earlier of the year I probably will have to wait for a year if before more openings pop up from those firms? I've heard from some friends there might be a off season hiring during late August, is that really so? Thanks!

@BenC
Thanks for the tip, but do you find it easier to find jobs during late August after most summer interns gone?
May 24, 14 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

paranoir: In my experience, there is little, to no, meaningful seasonality to the workload of most commercial or institutional firms. Such firms hire either a) when they obtain a new project that will require more attention than existing staff can provide, or b) when they need to replace an employee who is leaving the firm. Such events generally have little to do with the calendar.

May 24, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: