Sep '05 - Apr '07
One of the first things to do to the trailer was to strip it down to its structure so we could really start to work with it. We ended up cutting off all the strap bars on along the sides as well as ripping off the steel and wood decks.
these images are about 3 weeks old... sorry.
we had to score the steel on the top with a grinder, then pry it off with a breaker bar. it was ridiculously tough work, but very satisfying. this is Matt working on the first section.
we learned how to use the oxy/acetylene torch that day, here's Yuji firing it up.
the steel deck on top was about 3/16 thick welded continously along the perimiter of the frame. the wood deck was 2x12's bolted to the beams.
john went to town with the grinder
as the welds on the perimeter were cut, we shoved in CMU's and a jack to help rip the welds apart, then john would score a line acroos the bed which we would rip apart with the breaker bar. The huge sheets were then cut into smaller chucnks with the torch so that we could carry them.
we worked in sections to reveal the bare structure. Matt, Thomas, and Casey check it out.
we has to becareful to avoid cutting the wires
ed beats the crap out of the deck
ed works on ripping out the old wood deck. All the bolts holding the wood on were completely rsted so we had to tear/shred/rip/break most of the wood out. messy work.