Rufus Kerr

Rufus Kerr



Car Garage

The premise of this project was to create elements that protected the car from its environment, and then transfer those elements to an architectural form. During our first day of class we were asked to purchase a plastic model car of a certain size, and then spray paint it flat black. There were no parameters given when choosing the aesthetic of the car and I ended up choosing a 1940 Ford Model-T. After completing the first step we were given the task of simply designing a mask that covered the car, similar to a mask on a human face. The only parameter was that it needed to pop-off the car model easily. I ended up covering every inch of my car in chipboard and highlighting key elements of the car: its roof, headlights, and hood. Soon after, I was asked to edit down the design because it felt too heavy. I solved the problem by breaking up parts of the mask and using lighter materials, but still maintaining its original form. The next prompt was to create a device that would
attach to the car and shade it from the sun. I made the shading device to hinge on the windshield and slowly fold over the windows to protect it from the sun. Our last prompt was to make a wind device that protected it from the wind. For this task I used a folding canvas that attached to the roof of the car.


After fitting the cars with their masks and devices we were tasked with translating those elements into a garage design. The only parameter we had was that we couldn’t manipulate the shape of the rectangular garage. All we could do was introduce windows. The site was also open for interpretation, and was not site specific. I chose to put it on a hill for more of a dramatic effect. When approaching the design I began looking towards the mechanics of the car, as well as the mask and devices for inspiration. I wanted the garage to feel similar to a Tom Kundig design where the rustic guts are exposed. Initially I included a system of weights and pulleys to open the garage, as well as sun shading devices that also acted as solar panels. The aesthetic of these two systems I felt spoke to the true nature of the car. The two major features of the mask and devices that I wanted to highlight were the headlights and grate of the hood. The grate on the left side of the hood had these rigid L-shaped straps that I wanted to incorporate into the design. You can see them in the final model as the 4 upside-down L-shaped pieces. As for the headlights I chose to represent them by a repetitive circle pattern that would be attached to the side of the building. In this period we were asked to paint an abstract interpretation of our design. After the initial study model and painting I took advice to edit the design down a bit, which was most likely good advice. Unfortunately by editing it, I took away the manual rustic aesthetic, which I regret. In hindsight I wish that the design did not look so tacked on, but I guess that was the nature of the project. 

Read more

Status: School Project