Archinect
anchor

Buildings by Artist + Architect collaboration

BabbleBeautiful

I've gained a strong interest in buildings that are designed in collaboration between an Architect and Artist such as Ned Khan and Olafur Eliasson. It seems to give way for a building that has great internal spatial qualities and sensibility while having an amazing aesthetic exterior (usually possible with the creation of skin). The only architects I can think of that has been able to do both well is Herzog de Meuron and maybe Morphosis. I'm attempting to prepare for thesis year and wondering if anyone here can think of references that I can or should look up.

Jul 20, 10 11:37 am
LOOP!

This isn't really a collaboration, but this project in Australia by Ned Khan has an amazing aesthetic exterior and has been making the rounds lately:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1661917/shimmering-art-makes-a-parking-garage-disappear

Also, check out some of Frank Gehry's early work, when he was designing loft spaces for artists. The Chiat/Day Building (binocular building) in Venice Beach is a classic collaboration he did w/ Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.

Jul 20, 10 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

yep, the Brisbane parking structure is really something...

thanks!

Jul 20, 10 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

haha, shit, you brought that up in your initial post. My bad.

Have you heard of "Support Structure" by Celine Condorelli & Gavin Wade? Here's the website: http://www.supportstructure.org/

Jul 20, 10 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Meredith

Really cool parking garage!

Not sure if its what you are looking for, but the Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna and other architecture works by the artist.

Jul 20, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

This string, "(Un)Wall" on Boiteaoutils has a lot of interesting architectural interventions by artists and/or architects. I think you'll find a few projects here that could be useful for further research:

http://boiteaoutils.blogspot.com/search/label/thematic%20%28UN%29WALL

Jul 20, 10 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
anti

Vito Acconci + Steven Holl - hinged space in NY

Jul 21, 10 7:08 am  · 
 · 

Frank Gehry and Claus Oldenburg - Chiat Day Building in Venice, CA

Jul 21, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Have you heard of the Chiat Day Building in Venice Beach, CA? Also, check out the work of Ned Kahn.

Jul 21, 10 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Smiljan Radic and Marcela Correa, Extension to the charcoal-burner’s hut

Jul 22, 10 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Look at Gluckman Mayner. In addition to the large amount of experience they have with art gallery/museum design (which to some degree is a collaboration with art and architecture, albeit not directly), they also worked in conjunction with Jenny Holzer on the Helmet Lang stores in New York.

Jul 22, 10 2:09 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

excellent, thank you.

I should add the Chiat Building just in case anyone else might be interested in the future.

Jul 22, 10 9:13 am  · 
 · 
gresham

You mention Herzog and de Meuron in your original post, so you may already be looking at their collaboration with artist Ai Weiwei on the Beijing Olympic Stadium. Ai has done some other work with architects as well, so you might want to look into his work further.

Not sure if you are only looking at visual artists for your project, but Corb worked on the Philips Pavilion for the 1958 World's Fair in Brussels in collaboration with avant-garde composer Iannis Xenakis.

Jul 22, 10 11:08 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Just to add to the list:

Herzog & de Meuron
Laban Dance Centre

they collaborated with Michael Craig-Martin for the colors

Jul 22, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

For an accessible, US example check out Mary Miss and Adele Santos' work at Albright College Center for the Arts. The art work impacts the space of the building and its relationship to the campus, rather than the skin.

Jul 22, 10 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Gravitas

Gresham, a quick correction to your comment about the Phillips Pavilion, Xenakis was actually the project manager in Corbs office who ran the project, the composer who Corb collaborated with for the project was Edgard Varèse.

Jul 23, 10 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: