Archinect
anchor

Volunteer Opportunities

Landmark West

LANDMARK WEST! is a non-profit community group working to preserve the best of the Upper West Side's architectural heritage from 59th to 110th Streets between Central Park West and Riverside Drive. We are looking to get some volunteers to help us with a survey project we've started.

There’s uncharted territory on the Upper West Side, and LANDMARK WEST needs your expertise to put it on the map!

96TH TO 110TH STREET SURVEY PROJECT
Beginning in 2007, LANDMARK WEST! launched a survey project to document the blocks between 96th and 110th Streets, Central Park West to Riverside Drive. There are very few landmarks between 96th and 110th Streets, but it’s not for lack of worth. We just don’t know what’s out there … until now.

VOLUNTEER EFFORTS TO DATE
Dozen of devoted volunteers, armed with survey forms and a how-to crash course in building documentation, have spent countless hours documenting and photographing these blocks. After bundling the descriptions and photos of the buildings for each block into a neat and concise packet, we are ready for the next step. This is where—we hope—you can assist us. LANDMARK WEST! is looking for a few good pairs of architecturally-trained eyes to verify and correct the forms completed by our on-the-street volunteers. Only then can our advocacy work truly begin!

HOW YOU CAN HELP
Volunteering time and energy can benefit both the UWS community and architects-in-training. Interns wishing to fulfill the NCARB requirements—specifically the D mandatory community service—are exactly the caliber of individuals the survey project needs! The NCARB lists efforts with historic preservation groups as a way to complete the core training hours. For their part, ARE interns would review documentation packets we’ve compiled that document the historic architectural character of each block and lot. From there, the ARE interns would modify or verify the architectural nuts and bolts (ie: materials, style, etc.)

If you are interested or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] It is extremely easy to get involved in this project. If interested, we will email you the block information, and you can email us your input. That way, you can do valuable volunteer work without commuting to our office.

Jul 14, 10 4:43 pm
Distant Unicorn

So, let me get this straight...

you want people to work oh a project that limits and even possibly prohibits the growth of the entire city to save a few facades?

You know, those very same facades that hides antiquated and dilapidated housing options behind them?

As someone who has spent an unnecessary amount of time looking for an okay hotel room in NYC over the past three weeks and as someone from one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world...

I can safely say in this case I'd rather see history be demolished for modern convenience.

I do not want to pay $160 a night to stay in what is essentially a converted SRO and share a tiny bathroom with 16 other guest rooms on the floor.

Call me selfish, call me a tourist, call me whatever. Just from temporary housing solutions alone, I've learned that there isn't a whole lot in New York City to save.

And your Upper West Side is a major offender of having the most backwards and inhospitable building designs I've ever seen.

And you could blame this on history or blame this "just being a reminder of the times," but the much, much older Lower East Side seems to have actual bathrooms.

Jul 14, 10 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

gotta love non-profits

Jul 14, 10 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: