Archinect
anchor

Public and Private Space/No H&D Bashing!

ppuzzello

I just finished reading about Herzog & de Meuron's two new stunning condo developments in New York, 56 Leonard and 40 Bond. I am a big admirer of H&D but it got me thinking, these amazing works are so exclusive and out of the range of affordability to most of us. Do any of you have thoughts or project examples of architects and/or thinkers dealing with this subject? Good examples of designers and architects working the system of design parameters by public agencies? Subtopia? Interesting design of public space? Design renegades?

I am a firm believer in social justice and think its interesting to discuss this in the realm of architecture. I remember reading in Metropolis once a while ago about the declining accessibility of the public to the tops of tall buildings, to have great views of cities.

I would really like to see you guys take off on this one

Jul 2, 10 4:44 pm
Cherith Cutestory

You will likely find more examples of the work you are interested in by looking at smaller offices that do more local work as they tend to more vested in the community.

Jul 2, 10 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Snofia, i know of one group that is specifically taking on that issue, REBAR out of SF. They work with the city to establish spaces - and i believe the city also has a requirement that all new use construction have a public space accessible for public - inside new/existing buildings/lots. i attended a conference and one of the principals lecture on how to leverage public agencies.

Jul 3, 10 6:42 am  · 
 · 
o7o...

Good one b3! I have heard of them too! I also have been keeping track of the work of Spanish architect Santiago Cirugeda. S n o f i a, google him, his subversive urban projects are amazing. Challenging building codes and neglected and leftover public space. His projects are sweet.

http://www.trans-formers.org/artists_1/301_cirugenda_e.htm

Jul 5, 10 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
ppuzzello

subversive urban interventions!

Jul 5, 10 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
ppuzzello

Nice o7o! (love the name-glyph) is that a bike dude? b3 I googled rebar and found this organization. http://www.publicarchitecture.org/people.htm It seams they have a method for design implementation into the public realm. Not sure of specifics but I'm reading on, wonderful. Anyone feel free to post pics!

Jul 5, 10 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: