Archinect
anchor

Stupid Scale Question..Quick help, please.

Larchinect

So, I think I'm overthinking this. I need to make a plan larger than 100 scale its currently at...any scale like 120,140,160,180 would read fine, correct? 150 scale for example is not atypical scale, correct?

Jul 1, 10 6:11 pm
Larchinect

sorry i meant 'smaller' than 100 scale**

Jul 1, 10 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

wow, a dozen views and no one knows?

Jul 1, 10 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

I suppose that by "larger" you actually mean "smaller" (considering the examples you've listed). Anyway: typical scales are 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 (sometimes 1:250), 1:500, 1:1000 and so on. Depending on the use of the drawing (construction, competition, school etc) you could also decide to pick a less obvious scale, and draw a measuring bar with the plan.

Jul 1, 10 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

right, but what about between 100 and 200 like I asked?

Jul 1, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Depends on the use of the drawing. If it's not an actual construction document (but for a competition or school project, I'd go with a measuring bar. If not, I'd increase the paper size, or divide up the drawing over multiple layouts...

Jul 1, 10 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

it's a plat for a commercial development. I really dont want to increase the paper size to E. Theres gotta be an acceptable scale between 100 and 200. Ideally 1/140 or 1/150...I just cant remember which is acceptable or either.

Jul 1, 10 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Maybe it's different where you live, but in the Netherlands (where I live) there's no acceptable in-between, it'd be too confusing for the people reading the drawing to have a non-standard scale...

Jul 1, 10 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Ok,

I guess thats what I'm asking is 1/150 for example non-standard? I can think of drawings at 1/120 and so forth, but perhaps they were just graphic/illustrative plans..

Jul 1, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

if this is for your portfolio larch, it really doesn't matter - just pick whatever scale presents your drawings the best, even if you pick something like 1:150. nobody will care, unless they're anal retentive.

Jul 1, 10 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

there's nothing standard btwn 1:100 and 1:200...

if you are stuffed either do NTS or just put a scale snake thats 1:150 and cross your fingers, esp for presentation drawings.

for actual documents you cannot deviate.

Jul 1, 10 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Thanks. It was for a professional project and for presentation eventually to the town so I figured I could not deviate as advised above. The owner couldnt read the 24x36 sheet when printed on 8.5x11 so I just made them an 8.5x11 sheet with just the plan and scale. Thanks for the help.

Jul 1, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Those little things about architectural professional really piss me off!!!

Jul 2, 10 1:48 am  · 
 · 

If the plan/plat isn't a construction drawing that the contractor may 'scale off of' (even though they are admonished not too) or that is being submitted for municipal approvals, the use of a non-traditional scale doesn't matter. But I'd just jump it up to 1"=200' and enjoy the extra white space or context. Plus, drawings look better when they are smaller.

Jul 2, 10 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: