Archinect
anchor

best used car for under 4 grand ?

unfortunately , i haven't found an e type within my budget ,and as much as I'd love an old grand wagoneer , they req. heaps of maintenance.

parameters:
min. maitenance
decent mpg
decent in snow
can fit skis in/on it
not hideous

What would you think for for under 4 Gs ?

Jul 1, 10 12:35 pm
Thom Yorke

try to find a toyota pickup, the smaller ones, 4x4, like pre-2004. bulletproof.

Jul 1, 10 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

oooh, also if you are averse to pickups, check out a subaru.

Jul 1, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

c-

we have exactly the same criteria.

I've been looking at subarus and volvo wagons.

Jul 1, 10 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

c-

we have exactly the same criteria.

I've been looking at subarus and volvo wagons.

Jul 1, 10 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
c

volvo wagons are awesome - i grew up in one - but the new ones are ugly ( except for the hybrid , which is spendy ) and the old ones need heaps of maintenance

subarooos are just so freaking practical , and it wouldn't suprise me if i wound up with one , you know i think the swiss police use them - as do every lesbian couple on the east coast . I'd rather be mistaken for the former ....

Jul 1, 10 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

yea, subarus have become the yuppie/hippie car. (aka yippie)

Jul 1, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
c

lada niva 2131 whooooooo!

Jul 1, 10 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

With your budget the biggest concern is going to be reliability and maintenance costs. I'd steer clear of Volvo for the latter. Also things like turbos, AWD systems, etc. They all do eventually break and cost money to fix...sometimes a lot. I'd suggest simple with a proven track record of reliability.

You can get higher mileage Civic's, Corollas, Accords, etc. for under $4k and they are highly reliable and get better MPG's than Subaru or pickups. With a fold down seat or roof rack the skis are no problem. Even something as pedestrian as a 5-10 year old Ford or Chevy sedan, while not flashy are super cheap to fix and if not abused can be quite reliable.

Jul 1, 10 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

VOLVO 240D

Jul 1, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

many Hondas and Toyotas in that price range are targeted by car thieves - so do your research before buying if you want to keep that car for a while.

Jul 1, 10 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Toyotas suck.

Jul 1, 10 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

volvo replacement parts = $$$

a small pickup is your best bet, terrible resale value and will last forever. get some sandbags for the winter

Jul 1, 10 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Buy Japanese.Period.Honda or Toyota.My dad's friend had a 86 Honda Accord.Mileage higher than 200k and he just couldn't kill the car.I have 2002 Honda Accord Ex,it a handsome looking car so I'm guessing for under 4k you can find an older version of it.Not sure about the ski part though...

Subarus are so lesbian. lol :P

Jul 1, 10 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Small pickups suck hard for winter driving, even with sandbags, and even with sand in bags in your bed..err.

I'm driving a civic hybrid now (girlfriends) and it sucks in snow, but it's manageable and still better than light trucks, but a truck you can sleep in with a cap and more clearance for getting to backcountry spots.

I like the subaru option..They're just all over the place where I am. I like the passat wagons better, but dont know much about them. There are some 97-03's here in the under 4k range.

Jul 1, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

subarus are the vehicle of choice here in new mexico, and we're one poor state. cheap, dependable, and able to handle all-weather/washboard roads.

we have an '01 volvo v70 wagon. it's a repair nightmare; we've replaced the transmission, ignition coils (all 5 of them since there's one per cylinder....thanks volvo!), turbo, fuel pump, etc. the only reason we still have it is because i really like the peace of mind knowing my wife and two daughters are driving around in a car with great safety engineering and the turbo is handy at our altitude.

Jul 1, 10 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

get a fucking honda or toyota

Jul 1, 10 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pickup extended cab... and 4 bags of sand for the winter...or cmu blocks..or build a small pool in the bed above the rear axle and will with water.....

i have a 98 gmc sonoma ..4 banger... its a trooper...

Jul 1, 10 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

don't get a 2000-2002 accord. just don't. massive tranny issues.

Jul 1, 10 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i would get an older step side chevy truck... always liked those trucks... simple and tough

Jul 1, 10 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
orion

80's mercedes desiel (240d), runs forever, will crush a ford econoline in a head on collision, is huge and comfortable...great mileage and can run on biofuel if you want. You can get em in manual too!

ex-police crown vic

ford bronco/ chevy blazer OJ style

70's CK pickup

BMW E30

Jul 1, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

find any old car for <1000 with a good chassie(sp)

get a v-8 new or rebuilt motor from auto zone

add new tires

bam new car

Jul 2, 10 12:18 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

A Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee with the inline 6-cylinder is about as bulletproof as you can get, as the engine design has been around since WWII, but your gas mileage will suck. They're great in the snow if you have 4WD and easy to repair.

Volvos are great, but avoid the 1999-2001 model years at all costs unless you have it inspected by a mechanic (one who specializes in Volvos) first.

Jul 2, 10 2:25 am  · 
 · 
outed

have a 99 volvo wagon - will say, the last one i had literally saved me and my family's wife. pinned to an interstate conc barrier at 75mph by a hummer... no one hurt despite every window being blown out and the thing hit the passenger side door. enough of a reason to replace it with same.

that said, when things start to 'go' (we're at 160k+ on miles), they really go in spectacular fashion. i'm not sure, in the end, you want to own one quite this late. also, we've actually heard anything from 01-on should be avoided. it's when ford took over - fit and finish is supposed to be a few notches down from the 'classic' years (95-99).

Jul 2, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
outed

oh, and avoid any 98-99 vw passat wagons like the plague - there are so many electrical issues with those first couple of years after the redesign...

Jul 2, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

wow, gotta love those hummer drivers! (cough, inferiority complex, cough.)

Very glad to hear everyone was ok.

Jul 2, 10 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

There are some '00 Passat wagons on Craigslist here for just under $4k. I'd imagine you could dicker them out the door around 3500-3750. Seems pretty good to me.

I also found a handful of 99-00 Audi A4's (?) wagons for around the same--$4000. Would it be dumb to buy an Audi at this price/year? One has around 110,000 miles, which seems low.

Jul 2, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

my suggestion

2001 or 2002 saturn SL or SC..

if you can find one with low milage..

my 01 SL has 214,000kms and runs like a charm
replacement parts are cheep and maintenance is fairly easy.

you should probably be able to get one of those for 2 or 3 grand with under 150,000kms

Jul 4, 10 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i got my 94 pontiac grand am a few years ago for $1200 with 125,000 miles on it, it has 191,000 miles on it now, very reliable and i still use it for cross-country trips about twice a year. i used to only buy toyotas but i've found gm builds a good car, too, and cheaper to repair.

Jul 4, 10 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
binary

get a truck with a cap... unless you have a family then get a car... but a truck is nice to have and dont have to worry about hauling items...

Jul 4, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

yup now I'm thinking like a tacoma or tundra with a cap. i just would prefer better gas mileage...but snow performace matters..

Jul 4, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

I have to second the saturn. not at all glamorous but a great reliable car, good mileage, and generally inexpensive to repair

Jul 5, 10 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

207-

are you from maine? I am originally.

Jul 5, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Not originally - moved here about 11 years ago.

Jul 6, 10 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
+i

c-
i have a 97 toyota camry V6 xle. i bought it in 2001 with 86,000 miles on it... it now has 219,000 miles on it. it runs like a champ, cold a/c, no problems- i give it regular oil changes and i haven't had to do a thing to it in over 3 years. it's been regularly maintained and i've been told 97's are the best year for camry's and for the last nearly 10 years that's been true for me. definitely do not get a V4. my car ranges in the $2k-$3k right now. want it?

Jul 6, 10 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

pinto

Jul 7, 10 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
c

+i , i'm trying to find something w. less miles on it . . but any chance you're in nyc ?

The back story here folks is that a few years ago i let my old car go because it was better at getting parking tickets than it was at getting me out of town. it was an 89 country squire woody . seriously.

3 years later i've chanced into a parking spot that fills both the price and distance criteria to make having a car worthwhile .

So now i need a car to fill the spot with -just banger that won't leech more $ out of me than necc. and that i can use to get out of town, one that fits-friends-and-their-dogs-and-skis kinda car .

The only hitch is that like many here @ archinect , i am aesthetically allergic to most of the fugly machines that actually fall within my budget -
...an alternative is to convice a friend (assuming i still have some) to split price of parking for partial use of car ...

On a tagential note - was looking up a one Malcolm Sayer , designer of the e-type-i-can't-afford , anyone ever come accross dwgs of his?

Jul 7, 10 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: