Archinect
anchor

How is the current Job market in NYC for architects......thinking bout moving.

noneother3

I've been laid off since June 26th of last year. I've done some freelance work but that has pretty much dried up...I've been thinking about moving to NYC to have a better chance of landing a job.
I've tried applying for jobs in Philly and NYC and sadly nothing has panned out. I've noticed that NYC area has much more available jobs. (philly is very slow.)

I am afraid that employers are reluctant to hire someone who needs to relocate.
I live in South Jersey and I am actually willing to commute for the first 6 months, but I feel that employers at this time are not comfortable hiring someone out of the area.

My question is..Am I correct to assume that NYC is better off economically than south jersey and philly (specifically in Architecture)
and perhaps I should pick up my bags and venture to the big apple.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated I'm at my wits end and recruiters aren't returning phone calls or emails.

Thank you
p.s. I have 3yrs experience working as a "Architectural designer/Intern" and I have a Barch from NJIT.

Jun 30, 10 3:24 pm
dblock

I would apply and if you can find a job, then move.
I hate to paint a grim picture but there are a few jobs here right now but there are also MANY MANY unemployed architects here that you are competing against. For each job offered firms get hundreds of responses that you are up against. The last few I applied to the mailbox had filled up before I could even get mine in.
I have an MArch and I've been in NY looking for almost a year. So you have to be prepared for that. Most of the people that I know working are in non-stable jobs that come and go with the projects...

You live next door in jersey so the employer isn't thinking that you will have to relocate to work. So my advice stay there and if you find something stable then move out to NYC. Philly is a little worse than NY from what I hear but its pretty much the same problem. Your problem isn't going to drastically improve because of a slight location shift. Your best bet right now is to find a friend/relative/ aquaintance working and try to get a job through them...good luck

Jun 30, 10 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
noneother3

Thanks dude for the insight.....
good luck to you as well dcblock!
I worry how long this poor job outlook is going to last.
Perhaps we should all go back to school and get new degrees but even that is not a slam duck.....thanks again

Jun 30, 10 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

NYC is NOT better off. Don't come to NYC!

Aug 9, 10 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

NYC is NOT better off. Don't come to NYC!

Aug 9, 10 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

This has been discussed to the death..What do you think the situation becomes in NYC when thousands of people move to NYC with the same "hopes"?

Aug 9, 10 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

nyc is over rated

Aug 9, 10 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

no, it's not

Aug 10, 10 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

It's funny though, 13 out of the 30 jobs listed on the first page of the Archinect jobs board are in/near NYC.

Aug 10, 10 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

There are more than 8 million people in NYC. We also have more than our share of Architects nationally.

Aug 10, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Competition is ROUGH.

Every sunbelt state seems to be throwing up in NYC. Hellllllooooo, tanned hipsters!

There's a lot of people there... yes. However, if the existing people there are so great... why don't any of them work? Why are firms crashing and burning left and right? You know, if the economy is faltering/failing... you can only blame management so much.

Luckily, from my very recent trip to NYC and various schmoozing (limited I might add)...

Some firms are considering outside hires.

A very few firms are only hiring outsiders.

Many new jobs around NYC seem to be either basic entry level (cheap) or very advanced/technical/managerial positions.

New York is much better off and by some estimates, the recession was "over" months ago. But just because the economy isn't nosediving does not mean it is not stagnant.

Judging by the near constant state of construction, things haven't slowed too much within Manhattan. But I don't know what 'normal' is.

I would like to thank Manhattan for continuing to spend billions of dollars on construction. All of that lovely scaffolding provided a lot of nice shady spots to smoke cigarettes during the heatwave.

Lastly, if you're like me... which you probably aren't... many landlords are being stingy despite high rental vacancies. Some landlords are willing to negotiate to handsomely priced apartments.

But be ready to show that you have 6-8 months worth of rent in the bank, have 500-3000 for a broker fee and can pay first months/last months rent. Oh... and your credit score should be banging hot.

Like ladies (or dudes) at department stores should be taking off their clothes for you to sign up for a credit card. That's how good your credit score should be.

Now, you can 'wing it' and go all hipster/blue collar/regular new yorker by renting direct from owner and blah blah blah... but just remember that you could end up in a bed bug infested hellhole with no working outlets and a hole in your floor.

Otherwise, your only other best option is hope to God someone gives you a signing bonus (or relocation). Or if you have some cash and the employer really wants you, a letter from your employer saying you have sufficient job security will let you rent without necessarily paying up front or rejecting you for horrible credit.

Working in NYC (even if outside of architecture) is not hard. Getting into NYC is your biggest hurdle.

Aug 11, 10 1:00 am  · 
 · 
plugnpla

All I can say is "WTF". What was your point? A three day trip to NYC doesn't make you an expert. I've been here a couple years and I'm telling you the job market is not good for architects. I don't even know what you are talking about. Smoke less weed!

Aug 11, 10 8:10 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

If you do find a job in NYC, your standard of living will be below average compared to other cities, life is just way to expensive in the city and commute on subways just messes up your brain.

Aug 11, 10 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
JoeyD

New York is for the elites. Everyone else is just hangers on. You can make about $10K more than Philly or Chicago but will spend 2x as much on housing for a place 3x as small. Forget about going out or entertainment.

Aug 12, 10 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Milwaukee08 does have a point though, of the jobs listed on the Archinect job board, the majority of them are in New York. I realize it's a big city, blah blah blah, but so is LA and there isn't even like 1/16th of the jobs that are showing up in New York.

Aug 12, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
bosch

i have never commented on this board but this unicorn person is such a pretentious, naive absolute moron that i must.

-it is REALLY difficult to get an architecture job here now hands down. even if you are from freaking iowa "some firms are only hiring outsiders" ??? are you other readers buying this guys bullsh**?

-you think us none of us work because we are just so so and you people from where ever you are are so much better? id like to see you navigate DOB and LPC here. Yeah i bet you would do great. we dont work because THERE ARE NO JOBS AND THE PROFESSION IS SATURATED

-you can negotiate with landlords and easily rent direct from owners? so you have lived here 15 years and had alot of experience with this?
that is RARE.
your stupidity is so naive and that is being kind
you know NOTHING about apt rentals here.

-working in nyc right now is HARD. i know many people in other fields having alot of trouble.

- so much construction? maybe some from projects started a long time ago. my recent projects from where i was laid off went on HOLD due to the recession.

-and you proceeded to write what you wrote based on a quick weekend here and some 'schmoozing'?

- go back to your sunbelt tans or wherever you crawled out of.

Aug 12, 10 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
noneother3

Wow!!! Thanx for the response guys especially you Unicorn Ghost.....Since my posting I've had one interview a Arch/Engineering firm in livingston NJ (Jarmel Kiser Architects) The interview went well but sadly its been 2 weeks and I have yet to hear anything.

I was given the impression that I would be contacted one way or the other but it's been 2 weeks and nothing.....

I spoke to one of my landscape architecture acquaintances and he tells me on average during a recession-that for someone in our profession it takes approximately 12 to 16 month's.....

Good Luck to everyone!

Aug 12, 10 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: