Archinect
anchor

Church website: what color is inspiring?

cmrhm

Is designing a website for a church. Looking for an input for the color? What color will lure u to church? What color appearling to you?

Jun 27, 10 3:04 pm
drums please, Fab?
Purple also has a Christian / Biblical meaning and is the liturgical color for the seasons of Lent and Advent

PURPLE !!
Jun 27, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
LML
Jun 27, 10 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

SANGUINE

CRISTO!

Jun 27, 10 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

Does nobody else morally object to trying to "lure' people to church???

Either you're the churchy type, or you aren't. Those who aren't won't be lured, so just concentrate on designing something that represents the character, ideals, and attitude of your client.

Jun 27, 10 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've worked on a few church websites, and I don't think any one color will "lure" people to church more than any other. What will attract people to a particular church is a website that's informative and well-designed. (For an example of what not to do, the church I went to this morning has a website that has no information whatsoever about driving directions or worship schedule, but features a big announcement regarding the Fat Tuesday pancake supper four months ago. Fail.)

Depending on your church's tradition, some colors have specific meanings. Most Roman Catholic, Anglican (Episcopalian) and some mainline Protestant churches observe a liturgical calendar in which each season is associated with a particular color. For example, right now we're in the season of Pentecost, which is traditionally associated with green. Advent and Lent are purple, Easter is white, etc. If the church is named after a particular event or holy day (Ascension, Nativity, Resurrection, etc.), you may wish to use the color associated with that day or season. Likewise, if the church is named after a saint, that patron saint may also have a particular color associated with him or her. For example, the Virgin Mary's traditional color is blue.

Jun 27, 10 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
binary

white and red

Jun 27, 10 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I would go for the Blood of Christ Red....it seems fitting since he died for your sins.

Jun 27, 10 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
LML

the color of money

Jun 27, 10 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
binary

is it for a mega church or a party store church?

Jun 27, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Living in Gin:

Virgin Mary's color is blue. I didn't know that. This kind of information really expand my pallett when I think of our church.

Jun 27, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

is the church in the black, or in the red?

Jun 27, 10 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Church is so unfashionable, as you could probably ascertain from the previous posts.

I think 'lure' was a poor word choice.

Blue is the color often associated with the Virgin Mary. I cant remember the different meanings without looking a bunch of stuff up I really dont care that much about and regurgitating it over the internet to a bunch of strangers liek some people do (ahem..unicorn..ermm), but I believe blue and purple are thought to have a calming/healing affect and of course white invokes a sense of purity in a lot of people.

Jun 27, 10 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Living in Gin...good post, just read it too late.

Jun 27, 10 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Aslam, MM. Are you selling the right colour? A cross-cultural review of colour as a marketing cue. Journal of marketing communications, 2006

Jun 28, 10 12:46 am  · 
 · 
breckinridge

There is a lot more to web design than just picking the right color.

Jun 28, 10 2:47 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Larchinect: I am so shame to use "lure" word. Sorry.

I didn't mean it, I guess it was due to the rush. When FRaC post "purple", I thought he was joking. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jun 28, 10 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

breckinridge-

you know you're spelling Breckienridge incorrectly don't you?

Jun 28, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i don't joke all the time, most of the time i try to be helpful!

to explain, purple is a liturgical color for the seasons of Lent and Advent. i wouldn't go with a deep purple (like my post) but more of a lighter lavender color to hopefully evoke the 'calming/healing' effect Larchinect mentioned.

Jun 28, 10 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

of course to really dial in on the correct color(s) we would have to know a lot more about the church for whom you are designing. what's the denomination, what's special/unique about the church, what is their emphasis/focus, etc.

it also wouldn't be difficult to adjust the background color based on season you're in and the website could discuss what those colors mean regarding the season.

Jun 28, 10 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Sure, FRaC. Thanks for the further detail.

for all: My church is christian reform church which originates from dutch reformed church. Its logo is dark red. But I wish I can find other colors. If orange is suitable, i would like to use it.

People say CRC is an traditional church, our church want to change it and I have an intention to change it too.

Jun 28, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Where is your church located?

That's a better question. I posted a link to an article that (if you can access) explain the role of color in marketing and advertising.

For instance, white in the western world usually depicts divinity, purity and sometimes oppression [order] through dynastic or monarchical rule. That's why many of the revolutions of Europe are often named after colors.

Where as in the eastern world, white represents mourning and death.

I remember one of my annoyingly 'posh' British friends saying "the only thing worse than a Calvinist is a Calvinist from the Midlands."

Jun 28, 10 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

in Chicago, Unicorn.

Our church need young, new people and funding. Many propel properly don't realize that one of the mist thing for churn to survive is money. We want to have a little more modern designed website to show the church can inspire the new spirits.

Jun 28, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

So... you want to reverse the trend of a 'modernizing' and 'liberalizing' West that has been trying to escape the pressures and pitfalls of religion for centuries?

And, you want to replace this "progressive" acceptance of man-in-control-of-his-own-destiny and that people-are-essentially-people-who-act-like-people ...

... with hardline religious belief that no one can resist the will of god, the word of god is infallible and that all people are inherently evil?

As much as I like the principles of American values and religious freedom, your church is so insufferable that not even fairly liberal England and fairly liberal Holland could stand your bullshit 400 years ago.

That's why they shipped you all (hopefully to die) in the New World.

If it wasn't for the kindness and generosity of the Native Americans-- the same very ones you slaughtered years later after typhoid, syphilis and tuberculosis had started the job -- well, this conversation would be very different!

Mind you, the religious persecution of the original Calvinists in England is a flimsy tale at best.

I'm sorry you could not afford the present day value of like $6.00 you got fined for not attending the Church of England Sunday services.

but you know, you all did seek to completely undermine and destory the government of East Midlands... even so far as trying to corrupt the mail system. Then there was that whole illegal immigration[/i] thing many of your congregation was arrested for which present day would be considered a gross violation of UN laws under [b]human trafficking.

By the time you actually made it to Holland, you were disgusted by the fact that no one would offer you jobs because you couldn't read or write or speak dutch.

Plus, you know... that whole thing that very few people in your own congregation believed in your nonsense angry, plotting. untrusting god and realized the whole thing was a bad idea. We know this because they tried to sink two of their own ships and sold them off as scrap to recoup the life savings many members in the congregation had exhausted.

You know... all of this... because you all couldn't be bothered to worship in a church that had statues and masses in latin... you know, where believed people were inherently good and god was a caring, understanding diety that realized making mistake taught salvation thing.

Jun 28, 10 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

tl;dr--

Jump on the Campus Crusade for Christ bandwagon.

Heavy media sales and using the very media thought ot be destroying the church seems to thoroughly brainwash today's youth into having a silent, unforgiving hatred of anyone not like them.

The media sales and Amway-like business model gaurantee BIG PROFITS.

Jun 28, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Unicorn: I know someone will jump into the discussion about the christiananity. That is you. Peace, man.

All I want for this thread is about the color for my church website. Pls respect my work and intention.

Jun 28, 10 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Unicorn-

Please have some respect. I mean, the OP is asking for color advice and you're berrating him/her. What's more, you're kinda full of shit, as usual.

Jun 28, 10 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Kinda full of shit? Look it up!

An as usual, this is not really totally disrespectful.

A) I'm not bashing Christianity or religion-- only a particular sect and subset of it.

B) This is an example of what religious marketing has to overcome.

C) Convincing someone to join a congregation because their economic sustainability is in question is just as disrespectful as convincing someone that their religion is fake.

Color or not-- it's the message. Religion should be about principle and not subversion.

Jun 28, 10 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

I'm personally not very into churches, but I think the question is kind of a moot point. The overall design of the site is what will make it popular. The color is irrelevant. Why would people use the website? What does it have to offer people?

Look at Google's web page. It is completely blank and yet it is extremely popular, simple and functional. Design a website that is clean and simple that actually offers people something. People could share prayers that have importance to them etc.

Also I think you will not be able to 'lure' people to church. People used to turn to their church as an authority on God, an institution to base major life events, a place for community and help. I think nowadays churches are struggling because they think it's enough to rest on their authority to survive. People will always seek community, and nowadays they find it in friends, block parties, sports and professional organizations. A website isn't going to bring young people to your church, but it could be another tool for connecting people.

Just design a clean, well designed site that is intuitive to how people think and behave naturally.

Jun 28, 10 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

Start by asking people, "How can our church meet the current needs of our community?" The answers will lead to the changes you are looking for.

Side note: I like orange, but I also like it when the colors change according to holidays. Ex. Purple = Lent. The website's color isn't important as long as it's not overwhelming, and doesn't interfere with readability.

Jun 28, 10 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

So the color is irrelevant on google's search page?

Jun 28, 10 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

No, I was just pointing out that the power of the search engine and the clutter-free nature of Google's search page is why people go to it. The color white adds to that, but really there are plenty of other 'white' clutter free web pages that are dead spaces online. Not every company or organization needs a website, but if you have one it should be more than color-coordinated contact information.

Jun 28, 10 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

white church with LED Lights....where you can change the colors with the holy seasons. I saw something like that for a Hindu church in the South Eastern part of the USA.

Jun 28, 10 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Unicorn:

"C) Convincing someone to join a congregation because their economic sustainability is in question is just as disrespectful as convincing someone that their religion is fake."

You don't understand Christianity at all, do you? Many people turn to Christianity is not because of their trouble, but because they gradually understand God is loving them.

Jun 28, 10 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i think you should have a rotating set of images from the hubble space telescope as the background.

Jun 28, 10 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

just put down on the elevation drawings: paint to match priests robe.

Jun 28, 10 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
dia

So your strategy is to lure people, via a colour, via a website, to your church. Jesus.

Jun 28, 10 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Idiots.

Jun 28, 10 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
achensch

i think green might be nice.

Jun 28, 10 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Allahtect

this church website is cool http://www.harvestbible.org/

Jun 29, 10 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Allahtect

don't let uncicorn ghost bother you he has been problem for a lots f people - not much nice to say and looks like badly disturbed. must be to have so much energy towards bad will.

Jun 29, 10 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

godhatesfags.com

Jun 29, 10 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

you know gaza, other than the fact that is a blatant ad hominem attack...

you can always email the management ([email protected]) and ask them that I been banned... you know rather than stirring thep ot.

Jun 29, 10 10:44 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Unicorn:

Move on.

Jun 29, 10 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Allahtect

yes move on UG you are twisted logic. u attack people and then act like victim. sick in head. just helping you from what i see. get help sorry about you.
move on my brother.

Jun 29, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Allahtect

and sence we are share links here unicorn ghost http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/mentalhealth/mentalhelp.cfm

Jun 29, 10 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: