Archinect
anchor

Architecture school is BRUTAL

Lscapeisaverb

MyDream-

I agree with Non Sequitur, that section is rough. Realize that one of the reasons it takes time to make a good drawing is that it is an process of repetition. You sharpen the lead, you apply a line to the page. Repeat. You never press the lead down on the page, you let your lead selection do the work for you (crisper line, calmer thoughts).

Making models has a similar process. Let the cutting tool do the work and repeat the cut with focus until you cut through the material. This means using good blades like single edge razor blades. Avoid snap-off blades or exactos. They're made to be consumed. Avoid combinations like foam core and exacto blades. The foam heats the blade up and distorts it quickly.

With respect to Midlander's comment-

1- Be calm and don't make accusations. If there's a clear pattern being establish, record it and find an impartial person (like an ombudsman).

2- Develop relationships so you can find out who to be wary of. This will be hard given the current state of enrollment, but it helps to have someone to talk to and have that conversation where you let go some of that steam.

3-Then draw better than anyone rise in class, but be patient,calm and reflective (self critical).

Feb 12, 15 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

are drawing skills actually important in school?  like how to hold lead?  is that what they're teaching, or the purpose of the education?  we have computers and printers that do that in the real world...

Feb 12, 15 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

@OP, the first couple years of studio in most architecture programs are actually throw-away work anyway. Being good at manual drafting or model making aren't important skills for architects - at best they might help you get a first job. I hated all that stuff when I was in school and only did the minimum to get by. No one cared.

Once you get to the real studios where you do design work and present your own ideas it becomes much more about your own thinking and how well you can focus on showing what you can do. If you really believe you have it in you hold out and do what it takes to get through these core studios without going crazy.

@curtkram - Architecture schools do seem to have a thing for just piling on busywork to test the resolve of students. My program seemed much like what myDream is going through. Utter waste of time. Makes my blood boil to be reminded of those hours wasted on stuff that went straight to the dumpster as soon as grades came in.

Feb 12, 15 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Lscapeisaverb

On a serious note drawing by hand is how you learn to internalize conventions and develop a cognitive process. It's the classic argument that every line means something. When you learn software- you learn software. There are also some great benefits to easing clients into your process when you draw by hand, along with the hours you charge to a project. Then you draft when the time is right.

And now the snarky "real world scenarios-"

As the project designer: "I could copy six versions of this digital model in order to figure out how this lighting detail really works by drafting each one, or I could print out the basic wall profile from the computer model, grab some trace (or cheap bond) and develop the section six times while I scroll through the model."

To the intern: "Draw this lighting detail on the computer. Everything is at scale so it should be fast. On second thought, move over, I'll take time to draft this instead of managing the project budget.

To the contractor: "I could show you exactly what I have in mind for this proposal request with a drawing on site, but I'll delay the process because I'm going to go back to the office, draft it on the computer and email it to you so we can have a protracted via email discussing the idea to kick things off."

To the client: "I've got a great idea that will help resolve all these issues we have been discussing.  So why don't you wait here in the conference room 20 minutes while I fire up some software, draft and print something. This time I promise I won't get distracted by the chime of email from the contactor that I'm having a simple discussion with." 

In a public meeting (oh, wait architects don't do projects with stakeholders/user groups, but let's pretend): "Now we could set up this intersection (classroom, quadrangle, street) to look some like the image that I have in my head, but I'm going to wait to show you a rendering a month from now at the next meeting if you are even in attendance and I have not effectively poisoned the client relationship.

Feb 12, 15 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

^there's a big difference between hand drawing and hand drafting. Only one is still a useful skill.

Feb 12, 15 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Lscapeisaverb

Midlander,

True, but the way to learn drawing- not sketching- is to understand the mechanics through drafting. 

Feb 12, 15 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I disagree lscape on the cognitive bit.....but then again I did learn to sketch and hand draft so who knows, maybe ZERO exposure is no good....I taught a course on drawing, 6 weeks of mind numbing hand drafting was about all it took to get the notion of 'lineweights' across for most.....podcast 15 kind of Archinect covers the uselessness of hand vs computer debate, it really is a stupid debate.....my 3d sketching got considerably better after flying through 3d models in computers etc......my cognitive understanding of space has always been 10 times ahead of the computer and 100 times ahead of the hand....like many contractors i often talk about details with lots of hand movements......to the@ OP, most of academia is a waste of time to weed out those who do not want to put the effort in, which saves those same people even more trouble later when they get a job and find out how hard the job is. Academia tends to teach useless skills and therefore a lot of emphasis is put on items that will not make you a better architect. You learn schematic design in school and occasionally under the guise of Construction Docs you enter into Design Development....People have already mentioned Francis Ching and the other book you should save up for is Architectural Graphic Standards. .................. Take a course or two in sketching in the art department for those few moments in your career where you will sketch in a meeting (you can always say - we will review that).....last but not least run filters in photoshop or use the 'stylized' settings on programs like 3dsmax to fake the 'hand quality' and then go back and look at your section and see what 'sketchy' quality is missing. Half the problem with your section is its extremely schematic, if not a diagram, and you can make simple drawings look good with hatching and pronounced or exaggerated lineweights, etc.................my advice for getting a jump start on your career is worry about these 3 things to be a good architect: 1 - how to put a building together using real materials, 2 - how to maintain positive relationships with all persons involved, 3- understand the process of putting a building together and how each team member contributes and participates in a chronological schedule (consultants, contractor, engineers, client, etc.....) don't fret too much over design opinions and styles of representation. If you understand my 3 points those things just work themselves out. If anything read a few books on theory and you will know how to talk 'design' to academics and clients.

Feb 13, 15 7:27 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Okay all you guys have great points (remember this is D2), but I feel an explanation could clear some things on my drawings and I'll tell you guys a bit about the type of person I am.

The section is schematic because the professor gave us pictures to work off of. The drawing had no dimensions, no  nothing except a computer picture that I had to eyeball for sizes. I guess I could have just made up details but that wouldn't be the building and I would have been off. He told us to choose two words from D1 and incorporate them into one the floor plans, changing it and make a model of it. I do, I guess need to work on a few things like line weights. I still don't think that I should have been skipped and compared to everyone else's drawings mine is at or around the top especially my MACBA floor plan.

Now when it comes to my work ethic out side of college  like when ^^chis teeter talks about reading books and such I am to a disturbing level. I hesitate to tell my work ethic but for the sake of explanation I will tell you"

Here is my ways of education: 1).  self education and  2.) college

Self education: Literally

Monday Architectural Viz Day ( read a little of 3 books CSI project delivery Practice Guide, fundamentals of building construction, Francis Ching architecture design (take notes) and prepare for pre-calculus) Lastly I paid $546 on a 3ds max training bundle that I work on everyday, but I chose Monday to give the day a meaning.

Tuesday Architecture practice day ( read a little of 3 books CSI project delivery Practice guide, fundamentals of building construction, Francis Ching architecture design(take notes) prepare for pre-calculus and work on mastering 3ds max) This day is devoted to Learning about  architecture practice, which I need to work on because I don't have the professional practice book, but I am reading a code guide book for interiors by Sharon Harmon learning about the code process, learning about the codes from the AHJ and incorporating them into the design all the books you have to buy ibc book, mech book, fire codes etc I have them on favorites on my computer I have yet to purchase them though.

Wednesday Construction process and management Day ( read a little of 3 books CSI project delivery Practice guide, fundamentals of building construction, Francis Ching architecture design (take notes), prepare for pre-calculus and work on mastering 3ds max) This day is devoted to Construction processes I watch and take note on construction videos specifically this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCmu9wQwbx4&list=PL79ADF9096F4F9C53  (copy paste) I just finished framing walls video day before yesterday step 17. The building construction book along with the videos has done wonders I know about masonry wall construction, wood light frame, interior finishes/exterior finishes, etc. Love this day.

Thursday Business Day ( read a little of 3 books CSI project delivery Practice guide, fundamentals of building construction, Francis Ching architecture design (take notes), prepare for pre-calculus and work on mastering 3ds max) This day is devoted to business I watch yales" Professor schiller Financial markets videos and I am on video 22 or 23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQui_3Hpmmc&list=PL8FB14A2200B87185

Friday ROME ( read a little of 3 books CSI project delivery Practice guide, fundamentals of building construction, Francis Ching architecture design (take notes), prepare for pre-calculus and work on mastering 3ds max) This day is devoted to Rome everything that there is to know about Rome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3MJPHaotQ&list=PLBCB3059E45654BCE

Saturday and Sunday Architectural darting and Real estate development day  ( read a little of 3 books CSI project delivery Practice guide, fundamentals of building construction, Francis Ching architecture design (take notes), prepare for pre-calculus and work on mastering 3ds max) This day is devoted to drafting whole projects from Architectural Drafting Residential and Commercial by Thomas obermeyer I have finished a skyway house and almost done with a fire station Compete CD''s I also watch and take notes on real estate development lectures https://vimeo.com/12854187

2 college( DO YOU SCHOOL ASSIGNMENTS)

I feel I have a insane work schedule but I love what I do I am passionate about it, but I am not a super smart person I just study a lot. I would give you my portfolio, which I think would be adequate, but I have made mistakes growing up so I don't really want to  it bit me in the past.

(BUT WHAT THE HELL)

http://archinect.com/people/cover/31634744/antwoine-gilbert

I AM  listening to what you guys are telling me and I will try to do better in my school work thanks for you inputs.

Feb 13, 15 9:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

maybe you're kind of trying to learn how to run before you learn how to walk.  or putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

Feb 13, 15 9:31 am  · 
 · 
natematt

So to me it appears you are studying very pragmatic things. Building technology, modeling tools, representation technique. But where is the design? These things are nessisary, to an extent, but they will not make you a better designer.

You need to study history, theory, and other designs. I studied some of the same material as you when I was in school, but it was all very integrated to whatever I was doing at the time.

Feb 13, 15 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Lscapeisaverb

1)"I do, I guess need to work on a few things like line weights." 

Yes, you do and we all did at some point in time. I am so raising my hand at this point.

2) "I still don't think that I should have been skipped and compared to everyone else's drawings mine is at or around the top especially my MACBA floor plan."

No, you shouldn't and if you feel a pattern is emerging talk to other students who might be in the know, and start recording the pattern. It's not going to do you any good to make baseless claims. But if you have clearly demonstrable evidence, you can make a case. Or let someone make the case for you with your evidence (don't burn bridges). Note: issues like that are very hard to prove and the burden really rests on you. 

3) Your work ethic is what it needs to be, albeit possibly a little misdirected. I agree with curtkram and natematt, slow down and think about design. Less CSI, and more "work." For example, ask yourself what is the difference between the work of David Adjaye and Max Bond in NYC, and why does it matter? Comparative thinking may be a little old fashioned these days, but it's a great drawing (sketchbook diagram) exercise.  

Feb 13, 15 11:15 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Mydream I like your style! I say forget the cart and the horse and get moving,works for me everytime.....slow down they say. I say why? So I can be like you?....but yeah throw a couple designy books in there, don't want your talent going wasted as the person behind the person behind the person. (Although that gig always pays well)....here are 3 anthologies on theory that qualify for design and critical thinking - start with Joan Ockman Architecture Culture 1943-1968, Michael Hays Architecture Theory since 1968, constructing architectural agenda 1993-2009 K. Sykes.....if you can squeeze in Ken Frampton modern Architecture and maybe some Sanford Kwinter.....get a little extra cash travel the world a bit with a camera in hand and sketchbook....and have a good time.

Feb 13, 15 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Looks like my past is coming back to haunt me again. I realize how long I have been chasing this dream and how far I've come. I did finally get my adobe creative cloud back though and my portfolio is being updated as I speak. My animations are working great and I wish I could put the one I did  on here but don't know how. One thing about trying to be an animator is render times, my render times are at 120 hours a render for a single frame, no Photoshop, after effects looks builder or anything else. This is straight out of max, so I need to set up with render farm rebus so I can animate 500-800 frame animations in a timely manner at an affordable price for architects, and other construction professionals.

Feb 25, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
120hrs per frame? What are you using, a pentium 2?

Nothing should take that long, not even a tenth of that.
Feb 25, 17 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Who ever it was who brought up this post has deleted his comment for some reason. I also have a problem with remembering individuals that I have spoke to on this forum I do so many things that I forget a lot of stuff in order to keep moving forward. For the sake of conversation I have a i7 processor, and a crap load of other things. I know I can change my polys to editable meshes and there are other tricks to lower poly count. I just focused on lowering render times thru the render settings. My scenes are on high settings, but not that high. A lot of other Illustrators use Photoshop to ad furniture and I do not. I have custom furniture with high poly counts, sinks and other models that just take time to render. I don't just pop things into my scenes with Photoshop the whole scene is 3d. My renders are at top notch right out of max because of this method, but time wise is crazy, plus it has to render the render elements so I can increase realism again to compete with the highest quality renders out there.  A render farm will be used to solve this problem I hope other wise I am going to have to do something else. Also this is just on interior not exteriors, interiors are the ones that take the most time for me.

Possible reasons for longer render times: (Increase settings on Vray settings, increase settings on materials, Hdri's, AMC 1-8, 2500 subs, a lot of subs on materials, 3d environment, etc)(

Feb 25, 17 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All reasons for high-rendering times... not 120hours per frame worth. You're definitively doing something wrong.

Also, this thread was brought back by long-deleted spam.

Feb 25, 17 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I am looking at a 3 hour time on a 4 of 4 pre-pass hehe. A render farm is a solution again, and if I start lowering settings I lose quality, so render farm it is, fast, cheap and I don't lose quality. Prices might have to increase to compensate for render farm use. 

Feb 25, 17 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

here's what you do:

extrapolate forces from seismic readings & seismic radiography what can stand

Feb 26, 17 2:00 am  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

I have to be honest, I don't know the difference between seismic readings & seismic radiography but OP's post is the worst I'v seen.

Feb 26, 17 2:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: