Archinect
anchor

NYC Economy

The Job Captain

The Northeastern US is now the first part of the country with a positive AIA Billing Index, and it appears on the job boards, especially this one, that that is where all of the jobs are. Obviously, this is probably compensated for by the sheer volume of unemployed architects in this part of the country...but...any thoughts? Has hiring picked up there significanty to anyone who's actually on the ground?

Jun 15, 10 10:25 pm
dblock

I applied to a few jobs last week in NY that were advertised on here and some other websites... I applied within 24 hours after they were posted. They bounced back with a note saying that the office's mailbox quota had been exceeded... if that answers your question.
5 years experience. I have been looking for about a year and actually almost had one interview a month ago.... so yeah its still pretty bad here.

Jun 16, 10 12:27 am  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

yeah i got one of those back too

Jun 16, 10 1:54 am  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

I took a low paying job that is "more or less" in the field and I knew beforehand is going to be a disaster... because in 3 months I had 3 interviews... and all of them were a low paying disasters... not even an automatic reply from places I would love to work for... and I am not talking OMA, I am talking small & mostly residential studios, but with a little bit of a spark of thinking process and creativity (maybe).

Jun 16, 10 7:50 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

i've heard from various friends that their respective studios have hired people... hiring definitely is happening even if it's not posted in a job listing online

Jun 16, 10 10:51 am  · 
 · 
w4000

In one of my friends offices they hired back someone that was fired a year ago and one additional person. I think offices are hiring back people they fired because they can step right back into their old shoes. Any recent graduates or people without their foot in the door somewhere are probably still going to be out of the hiring game for a while.

Jun 16, 10 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yes.. there are now signs of life. Faint heart beat with occasional palpatations..

The problem is, much of the work is still broad. The turnaround in local jobs (as in projects, not employment with NY firms working on prjoects in Saudi Arabia, China, and Canada) hasn't happened yet.

Jun 16, 10 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm just bumping this thread because i agree that it seems that all the fucking jobs are in nyc...input?

Jul 21, 10 11:57 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

^ agree

Jul 21, 10 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

The jobs are starting to surface, but the competition just kills any chance of even getting an interview. Just like big trees in the forest cast shadow and nothing else can grow under...

Jul 21, 10 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Zen's right, it's pretty deceiving. I'm finally working in NYC after a year of being unemployed following a layoff; I was optimistic about all of the job postings, but in reality you still have a few hundred people applying for each within the first few hours it's posted. In my current position (which is part time), my boss told me that there were people with 30+ years more experience then me; some ex-partners and principals, applying for the same position. It's still grim. Better then 2008-2009, but grim.

The best advice I could give is exploit any and all networking possibilities you might have; no matter how far reaching they might seem. Many firms' openings won't even make it to public boards before they hire someone through word-of-mouth, so getting your name out there to friends, colleges, professors, family, etc in the profession will at least give you a leg up.

Jul 21, 10 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

that it's deceiving doesn't surprise me, but it's GOTTA be better than anywhere else

Jul 21, 10 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: