Archinect
anchor

Unique Places to Hang Out and Sketch in Tokyo

LOOP!

I'm going to be spending a couple weeks in Tokyo in mid-August and was wondering if anyone could recommend interesting things to sketch, get some amazing coffee spots, tours, etc. I have been there four times (this will be my fifth time) so I'm somewhat familiar with the city, although honestly it takes me a few days to get my bearings again every time I go back.

I've got a few places on my list I've seen before, Nihon Minkaen, Jinbocho, Watari Museum... Any recommendations of other places / districts like this would be much appreciated. Also, bars and restaurants and stuff. I'd be more than happy to buy a drink for any archinecters if they wanted.

Thanks much.

Jun 8, 10 9:30 pm

i recommend checking out st mary's cathedral by kenzo tange. its close to waseda station on tozai line. kichijoji is nice hipster place. i also like the cemetery next to ueno and the one in aoyama if you are into japanese culture thing.

drop me a line when you get in. i live in northern part of city with office close to shinagawa (we are about 5 minutes from tokyo tower) so if timing works out am happy to grab coffee.

Jun 9, 10 6:49 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Thanks for the recommendations! I hadn't heard of kichijoji before and I haven't seen the Tange cathedral either. Those spots and the cemetaries look interesting.

I'll be staying near Hikifune Station on the Asakusa Line. My significant other works at the World Trade Center in Hamamatsucho, so I've spent a lot of evenings wondering around Tokyo Tower, waiting for her to get off work.

I will definitely drop you a line when I get to town. If you have time, grabbing a coffee would be great. Thanks.

Jun 9, 10 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

great. looking forward to it.

Jun 9, 10 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
ogataken

The new Nezu, especially in the rain. A photo of the nearby Aoyama cemetery - in the rain - appears at the bottom of my travel blog: http://japanoctober2009.blogspot.com

Jimboucho has a few very good ephemera shops, with magazines and design detritus from the '50's. It's not as picturesque as it appears, tightly framed, in Cafe Lumiere. If you're into ephemera, I can give you exact address - misplaced it. For a break, good coffee: Cafe テラス, 2K に.
東京都北区田端新町3丁目5−703-3810-1670‎

Yanaka, or Kagurazaka, might be better for sketching.

Watari-um has a fantastic bookstore. Directly east of the museum is a nice shop for old Japanese textiles, etc, called FUCHISO (フウチソウ), upstairs. They participate in the Kichijoji antique fair.

Jun 10, 10 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Yeah, Watari-um's bookstore is amazing. Thanks for the tips, ogataken. You think Cafe Lumiere is named after the film, or is it older? Can't wait to check it out. I like your blog, nice browsing for the lunch break. Do you live in Tokyo?

I'm hoping to make it out to Awaji this time for a weekend. Had planned to go last time but couldn't swing it with our schedule to see friends. The buses to get out there are fairly complex.

Jun 10, 10 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

oh, I didn't pick up that you were talking specifically about the film in your post. Got it now.

Jun 10, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
ogataken

I don't live there - but I'm working on it.

Jun 14, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
liwennette

hey guys - just came across this post
i'll also be travelling to tokyo with a friend in july - more precisely between july 9-14th

since its my second time and her first time, we're new to the city but we're definitely going to be visiting a lot of the must see buildings

if any of you are free in the city during that time, we'd be happy to hang out - i know the timings kind of tight

Jun 15, 10 5:29 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

I ENVY YOU!!! I don't think I will ever be able to travel abroad because I am past due on my student loans, which are over $100k already, they got me good for life!

Jun 15, 10 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

give me shout praxis. i been here 6 years now and in japan most of the time since early 90's. always happy to meet visitors traveling through.

Jun 15, 10 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: