Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

deletedusername

I wouldn't focus too much attention on the binding unless you happen to be a non-architectural major and have the time/gumption to make a project out of the binding and packaging itself. I used a simple tape binding that was $2-3, took a whole 5 minutes to complete, and is relatively durable. It allowed for full-bleed spreads and is certainly better than a spiral binding be it metal or plastic that disrupt the continuity of full-bleed or continuous spreads with holes in the page. I chose white as my pages are primarily a white background and they are available in a variety of colours. I highly recommend them as opposed to a perfect binding or any other for that matter on a budget and limited time.

Bottom line, please don't be too concerned about binding and be more concerned about content and presentation of your work; then again, not that it matters at this point, seeing as most application deadlines have either passed or are a few weeks away.

As for letters, I still have a professor that hasn't submitted because he is notoriously aloof, so I would not be concerned. Most schools give you the benefit of the doubt and will cut you some slack if everything else about you is compelling.

Dec 17, 10 5:35 am  · 
 · 
howdyhass

@arquiteuthis your portfolio rocks!

Dec 18, 10 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@howdyhass
Thanks!

There are a few minor misspellings and things that I am not happy with in general, but I am sure I will fix them in the coming weeks for the last few applications.

Dec 19, 10 12:42 am  · 
 · 
jackson2010

It looks a lot like this one:

http://www.issuu.com/sdauwe/docs/simon_dauwe_portfolio_web

hmmmm

Dec 19, 10 12:51 am  · 
 · 
deletedusername

Hehe yeah, I ripped off the general layout/format. :)

Dec 19, 10 12:53 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

I've submitted the last of my 12 fucking applications and i feel great. lets keep fingers crossed i get in somewhere!

@arquiteuthis

Your work is beautiful, but your layout is difficult to read and often graphically more confusing than clarifying. You'll definitely get a second look from your compelling images, but if you are planning on making some changes i might consider easing off of the overlapping texts a bit and the general chaotic tone you are trying so hard to capture...

you might have very strong feelings to stand by your graphic choices so take these comments for what they are - late night blog entries.

Dec 19, 10 1:09 am  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@aag2022

Good luck! I hope you do well!

As for the layout, I just deleted the file because I don't feel like catching more shit about the fact that I used lines and overlapping text. Big whoop. I think the content was the more important part. I should have known better that people were going to focus on what wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Oh well, that's all I really have to say about it.

Dec 19, 10 1:18 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

SNOW SNOW SNOW.

Im sending my portfolios from the UK, but currently all the airports are shut down and no planes are leaving. The country seems to go into meltdown as soon as it snows. Im slightly worried that they are not going to get there in time (even though its a few weeks till the deadline).
Shall i email the universities, or does it sound too much like excuses excuses.

Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Dec 20, 10 5:02 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

Hey CThomas,

Ive got the same issue as you - posting from London. Have you tried couriering it? I got a quote with DHL for 40 quid - they guarenteed to have it delivered in 2 days. Kinda pricey but considering the alternative i think its worth it.

I suppose it depends on how many you have to send - ive only got one left.

Good luck!

Dec 20, 10 5:44 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

Im sending from London as well, they have to go to Harvard, Yale and Princeton- arrrgghhhh all the important ones. Think i might courier it- although how are they going to get it there if no one else can. Fingers crossed!

Dec 20, 10 7:24 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

I've just got MIT left - it needs to be there by 3rd Jan. Not sure about GSD because i didnt apply there, but i think princeton and yale are due on the 31st and 2nd of Dec/Jan respectively.

Planes have got to be running by then - im sure if you send it this week by next day delievery it will reach there in time (you may have to pay alittle extra i suppose).

DHL have an online quote system which is pretty good.

Dont panic man - it will be alright!

Dec 20, 10 8:42 am  · 
 · 
fhty

For the Yale Portfolio Upload

Anyone having trouble with this?

Are you really uploading your entire portfolio page by page?

xx

Dec 21, 10 2:35 am  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Re: Yale Portfolio,

Just uploaded a 44 page pdf. as one single file. Worked fine.

Dec 21, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
fhty

thanks i'll try again. my file is 45 mb

Dec 21, 10 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
iamjena

Yeah, i uploaded a 36 page pdf to yale.. Mine was 108 mb :X and it uploaded fine

ps. on the subject of Yale, it still says they are awaiting my prereq status from my undergrad because I am applying for advanced standing.. they already have my transcript.. why are they still waiting?

Dec 21, 10 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
romot

iamjena:
mine says the same thing. I emailed them about this, but no response yet.

Dec 22, 10 4:24 am  · 
 · 
gtsf

Weeeeell...I applied to architecture school in 2010, and got into Georgia Tech. First of all, the application progress that you're all going through is difficult--so give yourself some credit for that! Second, architecture school is hard to get into--so if you get in, congratulation to you! If you don't get in, you might congratulate yourself because school so far every day makes you question whether you made the right decision.

I know I should have posted this a while back, but in reading lots of the comments in this discussion, you would think that there are really only 4 or 5 graduate schools in architecture. If anyone is still looking at applying for a great MArch program, I highly recommend Georgia Tech’s program--the one I attend.

If you attend the 3 ½ year program, the summer program is very demanding, but it was led by some pretty incredible professors who prepare you well for the upcoming next full semester (which was a bear). The next semester was very difficult, but it was also incredibly enjoyable. They assume you don't know anything--but the amount of progress that happens in such a short time is nothing 'short' of amazing really.

I can honestly say that i like everyone in my program--professors, students, administration included. The camaraderie among the students is on a very high level—from studio to outside of classes. The real intelligence—brilliance--of the students and the faculty here is also quite incredible. At least in the MArch program, there is a good mixture of persons from various backgrounds—which gives you a good insight into various ways one can use architecture as a problem-solving and tectonic tool. We push each other to succeed, but we’ve all (literally and surprisingly) been there to help each other out from just class issues to being concerned about each other if we don’t see someone for days. And no, we don’t destroy each other’s work—and it’s rare to not hear “good job” from a fellow student after a particularly difficult review. I’ve heard horror stories at other places and was really concerned about that while deciding where to go.

So far, the program is a good mixture of the pragmatic, the practical, the historic and the theoretical—a mixture of Cal State/S. L. Obispo and Harvard if that’s possible—and sorry about using names, but just to give you an approximation of what to expect. But, be warned, there is no grad inflation at GT, and they are very serious about the B-minimum requirement. These professors here are not joking around about classes, grades, concepts, etc. Unlike other architecture schools, they have no problem weeding out people. The application competition is pretty fierce, and their requirements are pretty high.

And you know, I have to admit that I did apply for a few of the other programs that people name. But, I’m very glad that I came here. For one, the competition between students in some of those places really obscures the learning that could take place. Also, the environment here is really conducive toward learning—they get you focused quickly on deadlines, calendaring, studio, requirements, etc. Further, everything is just on a higher level than you see in many other places—or that you would expect in Atlanta of all places.

Though I’ve literally never worked harder or longer in my entire life (and I’ve went to some difficult programs before this), I’m doing quite well here. But, you have to work for it (and the professors are very serious about studio culture here). I know that, if I’m flexible and know myself, things will be okay for me—job-wise and professionally.

My word of advice for applicants is find an architecture school that “fits,” and work your behind off and do well. But also accept the limitations of the profession. If you want to make lots of money, then go to a profession that will give you lots of money. If you think you will wake up 40 years from now and regret it all (I know a lot of people making lots of money who hate their work with a passion to the point of alcoholism and horrid lives), then work in a profession that will be fulfilling. Fulfilling does not mean money, and it certainly does not mean that your life will be easy. Humility works wonders. It just means that you will love what you’re doing with a passion.

Life is too short to hate what you're doing or the trajectory where you're headed. It is also too short to not take chances and leaps of faith, to believe in yourself and move when the moment is right.

Good luck to all of you! And, may you get into the school that you should and need to get into.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. And, I'll be nothing short of honest about GT or Atlanta. Good luck!

Dec 23, 10 8:11 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

Portfolio of my work -

http://issuu.com/the.sign/docs/pow/

Please feel free to comment. :)

Dec 23, 10 9:13 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

HELP HELP HELP.

I've couriered my portfolios with DHL and they have now arrived at the closest processing centres near the universities, however due to the snow in the UK they are there a little later than hoped and all the schools have now closed, therefore there is no one to sign for them. Harvard says it is still collecting mail. Does anyone know what yale is doing or if there is a drop box? One of mine tried to be delivered to princeton today but failed- arrrrggggghhhhh. I am going crazy! Please advise.

Dec 23, 10 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

@CThomas

A. I don't think anyone here has the power to help with that...
B. chill dude, GSD isn't late till the 5th of JANUARY.

annnnd what happened with Princeton?? why did it fail??

Dec 23, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
cat in the bag

CThomas: Don't worry, mine arrived a few days after the deadlines for the same reasons, and it didn't hurt my chances at those schools. There's certainly a 'soft' deadline that takes into account your postmarked package and how compelling its contents are. Enjoy your holidays, and congratulations!

Dec 24, 10 1:49 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

CThomas: Mines is taking an age to get there - hopefully will arrive today but I'm after reading your post I'm slightly concerned...

2 questions -

1. What is going to happen to the "failed" princeton package? Will DHL reattempt delivery?
2. Have you tried contacting them? I might phone MIT today...

Its seems ridiculous that Princeton have no means of receiving parcels over the xmas period. Its not as if we are the only people who would be sending stuff through around now.

stupid snow.

Dec 24, 10 4:21 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

Link one..

The failed princeton one- had 'Delivery attempted - consignee premises closed' on DHLs tracking page. They try once more the next business day then leave one of those really annoying 'we have tried you weren't in please come and collect from us' notes. Apparently they cant just post it or drop it off as it needs a signature. I phoned Princeton's office of admissions and they reopen on monday-weds next week, so i phoned DHL and asked if they could delay the next attempt until monday. So ANNOYING!

My Harvard one hasn't reached there yet. Yale's attempt also displays 'Delivery attempted - consignee premises closed'. I phoned them and they aren't open again until Jan 3rd- which is passed the deadline!! DHL can't drop it in there PO box as only the US postal service has access to it and I can't send anything via them as im in England. So the only option is for them to sign for it on the 3rd- with everything crossed that they will still accept it.

Dec 24, 10 5:31 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

That is really annoying...

Well at least GSD and Princeton should be fine. Regarding Yale, given how early the package has be stamped I'm sure they will accept it. Its not the first time ive heard that the postage deadline is "soft".

Did your DHL stuff go via cincinnati? If so how long did it take to get to Yale? My package departed Cincinnati at 5am this morning so im wondering if it will even arrive at MIT before xmas.

this is so long.

Dec 24, 10 6:58 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

That is really annoying...

Well at least GSD and Princeton should be fine. Regarding Yale, given how early the package has be stamped I'm sure they will accept it. Its not the first time ive heard that the postage deadline is "soft".

Did your DHL stuff go via cincinnati? If so how long did it take to get to Yale? My package departed Cincinnati at 5am this morning so im wondering if it will even arrive at MIT before xmas.

this is so long.

Dec 24, 10 6:58 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

My Harvard one also left Cincinnati at 5am this morning- so they must be in the same truck. Lets just hope it gets there today and there is someone in!

Dec 24, 10 7:17 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

How did your Harvard application get on?

Mines just says "Scheduled for delivery as agreed" - im guessing its not been delivered sucessfully because it would have said otherwise.

Also, how did you advise DHL when to redeliver?

Sorry about the annoying questions - apparently DHL dont work after 5pm on xmas eve - lazy bastards.

Oh well, merry christmas in anycase!

Dec 24, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

how strict is the deadline for application supporting documents at MIT? I just got an email today about missing components and they want everything in by Jan 3!

Dec 30, 10 2:38 am  · 
 · 
CThomas

Arggghhh stupid post! I sent my columbia portfolio off on the 15th Dec- the postmark deadline and it still hasn't arrived!

Also all the rest are now delivered apart form Yale, which DHL require a signature for but it doesn't open again until the 3rd when the deadline is the 2nd.
Is anyone else having the same problem??

Dec 30, 10 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

My Yale portfolio will also be "delivered" on Jan 3rd because of the office closure. I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

Dec 30, 10 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
therebyfar

I got the same email from MIT. They said they're missing my transcripts even though I sent them back in October. They're definitely not going to be in by Jan 3 now.

Dec 30, 10 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

@therebyfar, I wonder if they are lenient on giving us a few more grace days on this... its such a late notice from them!

Dec 30, 10 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
LinkOne

@ mitboi - Ive been in contact with the MIT admissions department over the last few days and they told me not to worry if my stuff doesnt reach them by the 3rd because of the weather. I'd imagine they would take this stance with all applicants, but best to get it to them asap.

ps. the 3rd has been the deadline for ages...it was mentioned on the online application and their website!

anyways good luck

Dec 30, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

@linkOne, yep thanks for the info! luckily i have extra copies of my transcripts at home and could send it out today, or else schools don't re-open until Jan 3rd in most cases!

good luck to you as well!

Dec 30, 10 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
therebyfar

That's good to hear, Link. I'm glad someone's been in contact with them. I tried calling MIT today, but only got voicemail (I assumed the office would be closed). Even still, I'm kinda irritated that I have to pay another $6.50 to resend something that the school most likely misplaced the first time...

Dec 31, 10 12:48 am  · 
 · 
qdpv

does anyone know when admitted students need to confirm whether or not they will be attending a particular program? i know acceptance/rejection letters go out in march, but i can't seem to find out how much time applicants are given to decide whether or not they accept an offer. unfortunately i haven't had the time or money to visit the schools i've applied to, so i want to make sure i'll have the time to do so if i get any acceptance letters.

Jan 4, 11 5:14 am  · 
 · 
arketkt

Pvp, I'm pretty sure all American schools give you until April 15th to decide.

Jan 4, 11 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
qdpv

ah that's great news! thanks for the info, arketkt.

Jan 4, 11 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername
http://issuu.com/arquiteuthis/docs/alexdahm-work

Re-uploaded final portfolio with layout and graphics tweaks.

Final applications sent to the following:
Harvard
Princeton
Columbia
Yale
UCLA

I think I will hold off on The Bartlett until I hear back from the other schools as I feel it would be more viable as a post-graduate education for me. On top of that, there is a rolling deadline for The Bartlett as I understand, so now it's a waiting game until March/April!

Good luck to everybody else whom is applying!

Jan 5, 11 4:06 am  · 
 · 
deletedusername

By the way, I know that a lot of people are freaking out about required materials not being received by the Universities on time. I still have professors that haven't submitted letters, I had a problem with ETS messing up my birthday on my GRE score report delaying their delivery to other schools, and Princeton and Yale did not receive the physical copies of my portfolio until Monday because they were closed on Friday (the deadline for Princeton, while Yale's was on Sunday). Bottom line is I have essentially dropped around $1200 that I don't really have for application fees, printing, shipping, GRE test/reports, transcripts and other miscellaneous stuff, so I should probably be a lot more concerned about this, but I have been assured by professors and other students that have been accepted to these schools that most, if not all of these issues are NOT issues at all. Here's to hoping.

At any rate, I'll be lurking around the forums until March/April commiserating with my fellow archinect peers. :)

Jan 5, 11 4:33 am  · 
 · 
lizok

Hi everyone!

I'm 27/f/international [from Moscow, Russia]
BA in Psychology from UCBerkeley

GPA: 3.50
GRE: Q800 V620 AW4.5

4 years of work experience as a Junior Architect in a top Russian architectural office in Moscow.

Applying for M.Arch 2 or M.Arch 3:
Columbia
UCBerkeley

Ooof. I am not sure how much I should worry. This whole process has been so incredibly stressful! :(

Jan 5, 11 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@lizok

Great GRE scores! It seems like you have a lot going for you, and if you have some connections at Berkeley and some interesting work that you sent off at Columbia, you probably have a really good shot!

Jan 5, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
soali

Just to get a general consensus, how important do you guys think it is to obtain an undergraduate degree at a very well known school? As far as applying for to M. Arch programs.

BTW, Alex, your work is great, I too attend UTA, although, I am an art/architecture history major.

Jan 5, 11 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
'Maximus

i like your reverse psychology. in all seriousness, i am done though. you called ME out, remember? i said my peace, so go ahead and fret over which schools might let you in (incidentally, i happened to SIT on one of those elite admissions panels, and might have been some help to you). i am sure you'll be happy to see me gone from this thread. but i hope one day, when you are adults, you wil realize why i was offering the advice, and that i was sincerely trying to help. good luck.

Jan 6, 11 6:44 am  · 
 · 
dionysus

just wanted to join the thread with.....

my first grad application is complete and sent!!

yay CCA!!...now i got more to do...and join you all in the waiting game...

Jan 6, 11 11:21 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

Does anyone know how much time it takes for the reply normally? I read it takes a month at least but I have a friend who already got a reply from Texas Tech rejecting admission. Isn't that too early?

Jan 6, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 
howdyhass

that seems really early. hopefully ur friend has applied to other schools. As far as I know, I think the earliest reply I saw was middle of feb.

Jan 6, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

I just took a look at last year's thread and I feel much better about the fact that this post only has 3 pages. Does it seem like there are a lot fewer applicants this year? It would be interesting to see the numbers.

Jan 6, 11 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

Damn it! 4 pages.

Jan 6, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
NYer

@howdy, which program replied in mid Feb.?

Jan 6, 11 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: