Archinect
anchor

Keep my job or get an M.Arch - Already have a B.Arch

svensven

Hi,

I work for a small construction company that has an in-house architect and a few supporting draftsmen (me being the fresh grad, BIM guy). The building types we do are not design-heavy at all, but I feel lucky to even have a job that I can accrue IDP hours with in this economy.

I got my professional B.Arch already, and when graduating with it last year I didn't think I was going to get a job... So I applied to grad schools to get my M.Arch. I ended up getting a full ride plus small stipend to a top 15 grad school, and this particular grad school specializes in a building typology which I find interesting. My undergrad B.Arch was from a decent school however, but no top 15 school. This would be an educational upgrade for me.

Should I take the 2 years to get my M. Arch at minimal cost to me, or keep my job and make money and just try to rack up the IDP hours until the economy gets better and architecture firms hire again?

It's a tough decision but obviously good problem to have...

Thanks

Sven
Estonia native

Jun 1, 10 1:34 pm
On the fence

Full ride?

This is one time I say go for the M.Arch now instead of waiting to see what is what.

Jun 1, 10 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
ADavin

I agree - nothing wrong with investing in yourself - especially for free. I wouldn't pass this opportunity up. Go to school.
Do you mind saying what school?

Jun 1, 10 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

If you can come out with no debt (no expenses, lodging, etc.) then it would be a good investment.

I think we are all assuming you are making peanuts. If they are paying like a developer would (like twice a regular architect's salary), then I'd give pause - there will be less and less of those jobs.

I'd see if you could piggy back a MBA in there, or at least take TONS of business classes (think practical practice).

Maybe see if you can keep your job part time/contract basis. You never know.

Jun 1, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"I got my professional B.Arch already, and when graduating with it last year I didn't think I was going to get a job... So I applied to grad schools to get my M.Arch."

*sarcasm on*

Let's see..you already have a professional degree AND a job though it is not in architecture field but you consider going back to school to get a masters degree because going to school is the ONLY way to improve your skills.When the next recession happens I guess you'll get a PHD when you can't get a job and for the next time..I don't know.I guess they will invent a new advanced degree above the PHD and the cycle will continue.Yup! Totally go for it!

*sarcasm off*

Jun 1, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

tough choice ...

I think it depends on ultimately what you want to do for a living...

Right now you work for a construction company and are able to earn IDP ...you do BIM ...and your getting real world experience

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself..

Do I want to be a design architect or a technical architect?
Is the work in your construction company decent or mediocre at best?
Are you learning alot or are just picking up redlines?
How well off are you? (2 years without a paycheck can really do some damage)

From what hiring managers have told me is that getting an MARCH wont get you a higher salary ..but it will probably open doors to firms that you would like to work for

good luck

Jun 1, 10 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
metal

All depends... do you want to be the thinking man? or the job man?
if you wanna play in the bigger leagues, teach, or have life outside of "professional practice" getting that M.Arch will help.

I'm in the same boat, and just working gets B-O-R-I-N-G.

You should follow your instincts. I'm approaching things as if nothing happened with the economy. When I had a shitty job, i marched out and found a better one, even though people were getting laid off, screw that, now I'm M.Arch-bound cause I feel like it.

by the time you finish the economy will be better anyway.

Jun 1, 10 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

yes, go to school, I will take your job :)

Jun 2, 10 12:48 am  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

if you have a Barch, why is your masters 2 years. I thought post prof degrees are only one year.

Jun 2, 10 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Well, what a good problem to have indeed. Options are good

I would've leapt at an opportunity to go back to school a year ago, but at the architecture firm I'm working at, I don't feel as though not having a master's degree is hurting my odds at career advancement. If anything, I see more opportunities being a registered architect. The thing is, I would want to come back to this firm after I graduate, and I feel as though I'm learning so much now that I feel like going back to school would be like time off from that progress.

So... I probably didn't help at all because I just shared my story. I guess it has to do with your current job satisfaction, and your potential with your current employer.

Jun 3, 10 1:15 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

"and this particular grad school specializes in a building typology which I find interesting."

that you find interesting, but will it be something that actually boosts your skills or resume more than where you currently are?

"My undergrad B.Arch was from a decent school however, but no top 15 school. This would be an educational upgrade for me."

I wouldnt worry much about getting an educational upgrade, as most dont really care about that. Unless you think by going to this program, you will now have the connections to get a much better job?

I'd say go for the Masters only if it is truly free (i.e. living expenses, etc) and if you have a real interest for it. Going just because its a free ride is better than going and accumulating debt, but if you dont necessarily need it, you should have a very good reason for going back for it.

You are setting your career timeline back a year or 2, depending on how long it takes when you dont need to. It should be worth it to do so

Jun 3, 10 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
svensven

Thank you all for the comments - definitely great food for thought.

By "full ride" I really meant no tuition, however this doesn't account for room and board... So i guess not really a full ride.

I get paid the average national architect starting salary at my current job. We are apparently about to get some more work soon, so this makes me feel better about job security for the time being.

The M.Arch program I would be entering is two years for me because they are on the 4+2 system, so it would be another professional degree instead of a post-professional (but it actually isn't redundant in curriculum for me from my B.Arch). And they are one of the few who offer a selective program focused on the building typology I wish to pursue, which is what I'd be doing these two years.

So i guess the question is: Keep my job and try to get licensed quickly, or go to school while I have a hot offer and my youth? Which choice gives you more control of your own destiny?

o_0,
Sven

Jun 3, 10 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

Which school gave you a full ride?

Jun 4, 10 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
andmylegsarelong

Go to school, especially if it's paid for. There's nothing wrong with more education. By obtaining the Post Professional degree you are only opening up yourself to more opportunities. You may make social connections with people who can recommend you for future jobs and you can teach with that Masters.
Also, if you didn't know, you can count some of your hours in your PP degree to your IDP depending on the requirements set by NCARB. Here's the link:

http://ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Meeting-NCARB-Experience-Requirements/Supplementary-Education/Post-Professional-Degrees-Overview.aspx

Good Luck!

Jun 7, 10 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: