Archinect
anchor

international student loans

rootseven

hi
just got accepted to TU Delft and looking at student loans. anyone else have success getting these as a US citizen?

thanks

May 25, 10 1:09 pm
Sounder

Does the school accept Federal Loans? Otherwise call Sallie Mae and see if they work with the school. Private loans may be your only option. The schools I applied to overseas all work with the federal loan programs, except for the AA, which will require private loans.

I don't think banks give loans for international schools, at least a friend of mine couldn't get one from a bank for school in Sweden.

May 25, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
plate36

Here is the Federal School Code list:
link

There are only 5 approved schools in NL, and TU Delft is unfortunately not one of them, which means Sallie Mae probably won't supply a loan (I've tried that route).

I'm also in the same scenario and ended up deciding on a program w/ a full scholarship + stipend but I was also accepted into some programs in France/Germany and when I called them up & explained the situation, they offered a work/study position which would have covered living expenses... might be something to check into. As a former intern in NL, a lot of my co-interns were also doing paid part-time internships alongside studies... but I believe there's a discrepancy between international and local tuition rates in NL, which isn't the case in DE or FR.

May 25, 10 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
rootseven

Thanks Sounder & plate36.

yeah...i think i'll have to poke into some bank options. i just received a email back from Sallie Mae stating the terms of the Federal School Code.

i will also check out some work/study options...i think that might be a great way to keep things balanced.

thanks again!!

May 25, 10 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
metal

I think you have to keep paying the private sallie mae loans for international study, even while you are in school.

May 25, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sounder

Fade, yep you do. But that's also true of some Federal Loans. I think it's the Unsubsidized ones. I can never remember the which one is which.

May 25, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
metal

wow Sounder for real? i always thought those loans just collected interest while you were in school, not that you had to pay them too, sheesh!

May 25, 10 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Sounder

Oh, you mean that they will put a forbearance or deferment on the loan. I misunderstood. Sorry about that. You’re right it’s only the interest that accrues while in school with the Federal Loans.

May 26, 10 1:18 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

Loans, loans, loans, I love those loans! hip hip horrray!!

May 26, 10 3:31 am  · 
 · 
jennabuckley

Wondering if this school is accredited for US students (in regards to getting NCARB approval and licenced)? How does this work?

Aug 30, 20 1:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: