Archinect
anchor

Are you an Art History Expert?

3west

Can you help me locate an image of a religious painting of a male figure holding a church in one hand? I remember seeing the image many years ago in an art survey course. I cant remember if it was a saint, pope, or architect holding it. I think it would be between the Byzantine and Renaissance periods...

Thanks in advance for your help!

May 16, 10 5:28 pm
Medit

there are lots of bishops holding churches and kings holding castles in their hands from all ages... both in paintings and sculpture

right now i remember Hugues Libergier's tomb ... "who in 1231 began the construction of the Abbey of Saint-Nicaise in Reims":

May 16, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
3west

too old... the one I'm looking for is similar to this:

http://www.sophiainstitute.com/client/email_ads/email_images/st_thomas_aquinas.gif

May 16, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
ginkgobiloba

Could it be Giotto's Last Judgement?

http://www.lib-art.com/imgpainting/4/2/10724-last-judgment-giotto-di-bondone.jpg

The gentleman holding a model of the chapel is Enrico Scrovegni.

May 16, 10 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Chances are it isn't an architect if it was pre-renaissance. Prior to the tableaus of the cinquecento the iconography of a model of the church in the hand of an attendant at an altarpiece was the sign of the sponsor of the church. So unfortunately for you, there are nearly as many such images as there are churches in europe.

Did you try asking the professor?

May 17, 10 1:42 am  · 
 · 
3west

Thanks for all the help! I still haven't found the image I am in search of, but will eventually I suppose.

mespellrong: I'd ask the prof. but that was well over 10 years ago and I don't think he is still teaching... the other information you provided was very helpful though. Did you/do you study art history?

May 17, 10 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I did, I do, and I teach it.

May 18, 10 1:08 am  · 
 · 
3west

Interesting... where do you study and teach?

May 18, 10 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: