Archinect
anchor

back to work...

do2

Hi all, the layoff thread got a lot of responses. I figure we start the glass half full topic.

I was wondering how many people that have been laid off and found work recently?

How long were you laid off for?

Is your new gig local or overseas?

And how much has your salary adjusted?

May 12, 10 11:18 am
b3tadine[sutures]

me, 1 year, perhaps 15-20%

May 12, 10 11:44 am  · 
 · 
bRink

I'm back to work, local... Was out of work for about 3 months... I had a small salary increase at the new gig plus nice benefits...

I know of a few others who had been laid off who recently found new places at architecture offices... maybe things are turning a little?

I don't think we're out of the woods yet, there is still a competitive recession mindset it seems at offices i've seen, which is a good thing imho, firms are working hard and not taking anything for granted... Seems the recession has made firms a little tougher!

May 12, 10 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bRink,

meant to email you a while ago. things have been insanely busy, but we've slowed down. good to hear you found work.

May 13, 10 3:22 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I work temp at San Francisco offices doing details + Pick Up Redlines for month on then off then on - it's better than last year in which I was out of work for a solid year - many that I interview with concerned about my lack of recent experience - At least I am working now and then. Will it lead to something more long term?

May 13, 10 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
mar09

I got a job this week, after being laid off for exactly 11 months. It's local with a 2.5% cut from my former salary and has fewer benefits, but that's not too shabby. And plus I'm used to living on a lot less now, so this should be easy.

It was an unadvertised position at a firm I sent my resume to months ago, so I guess all those firms who were "keeping my resume on file" really were.

May 13, 10 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

I landed a job overseas in China... I figured I could ride out the recession here and continue working... plus when I return to the US or UK I will have this great experience to help me get a better gig.

China is the way to go if you can handle it!!! Sometimes it is quite trying but other times it is amazing..

Salary is comperable to what I made at my first job out of uni... but the cost of living in Beijing is SIGNIFICANTLY lower so it is a good gig.

PS.... Anyone want to come to China for a few months and work at my firm... we are hiring Intermediate Architects! Email me if interested :)

May 14, 10 5:09 am  · 
 · 
Chris Campomanes

I have found work, not at an architecture firm but working under the CM field office. Mostly engineering work. I do not have ANY benefits under the agency I work for, but the client pays overtime which adds up to more than I used to make. The hours are bad and include weekends. the work environment amongst construction workers can be stressful. is often stressful. The location is local, but takes 4 hrs of commute to and fro.

I am looking to gain construction experience here, but I've been looking to get to a design job.

I agree things seem to be looking up. Competition is going to be tough, but we all wanna get back on track with our goals right?

May 14, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

chris_redux

"Competition is going to be tough" From what I have seen, the people that do get hired as actual employees of offices are typically those with recent degrees from the top schools - not those with years of experience. people with 1 - 2 years experience are being chosen. When things do pick up, I suspect only the most recent grads with knowledge of the latest technology(BIM, Rhino, Grasshopper...) will be chosen over those with years of experience.

May 14, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ I think that really depends on the office and the market. Not every office really needs, or can afford, the latest and greatest software and technology. They also probably don't have clients that demand it either. It's good stuff to be familiar with and learn and it certainly will only make it easier to find work, however I don't think not knowing it will prevent you from getting a job.

More and more I think the consensus around here is that where the degree is from is also becoming irrelevant. Aside from maybe it opening some doors in terms of a network (which I have yet to see happen for more than the one or two students that ass-kissed their way to the top) I haven't seen any evidence to support that a named school will get you a job. I say this having a named school graduate degree that is currently residing in my sock drawer while I collect unemployment.

May 14, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
med.

In DC from what I'm hearing

Shalom Barnes in DC recently rehired 12 people back.

Got word RTKL has recently made some hires and/or rehires.

Jacobs has hired people.

My firm just hired a new person.

OTJ has hired several people I know.

Sorg is (as always) hiring

Cooper Carry is "talking" about reinstating salaries towards the end of the year.

HDR seems busy enough but not sure they're hiring.

CGS: Still looking decent for the next year.

HOK had a very limited round of layoffs a few weeks ago

Smithgroup laid off 16 people.

Core Group laid off some people.

Studios is hurting...

Fox Architects is pretty much out of work from what I understand...

Perkins + Will: Things are light

Gensler DC: Have seen an occasional hire here and there...but not significant layoff...

Arch Inc: Working on bite-size tasks...

OPX: Still slow...

May 14, 10 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mar09

Knowing the right software is pretty important for someone with 1-2 years experience - at that level you'll probably be in the office drafting or rendering most of the time so who wants to pay to retrain you.

But as someone with 5 years experience, I think software is far less important at my level and up. Questions I was frequently asked had more to do with my level of interaction with clients and consultants, my ability to lead a project and deal with the city, how much detailing and spec writing experience I have, and my familiarity with all phases of a project (pre-design through ca) or with particular project types. I was also asked to bring in dd's or cd's and hand drawings, sketches, and watercolors in addition to my photograph/rendering-heavy portfolio.

I think what ultimately got me a job was being well rounded and confident in my ability to learn new things. And my degree from a top school probably didn't hurt either.

May 15, 10 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Perkins Eastman in Arlington VA is hiring. Don't know how many but they are seeking PAs and Interns.

May 15, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

holtz, thanks. yeah things are pretty busy around here these days, but it seems to be busier in the short run and then most offices are not taking things, jobs, etc. for granted since who knows whats coming next... over the last year, alot of offices have been cut in half around here... so makes sense if work comes in people need to rehire, but i think offices are still on the cautious side generally...

yeah i'll send you an email sometime. we should grab a beer

May 15, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

Brink- I saw in yours posts you were a business undergrad then got an MArch, that is the same path I am on right now so I messaged you with some questionsm if you can answer any of them that would be a big help thanks!

May 15, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
metal

after farting around for a year, i just got a great job offer.. problem is.. i got into a really great grad school for an M.Arch II with some money too

May 16, 10 1:11 am  · 
 · 
future hope

I was recently rehired after one year of unemployment. However, I worked part-time and contract jobs during my unemployment, and only spent 3 months with absolutely no work.

Local.

20% increase.

May 16, 10 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

After 1.5 years of unemployment I was finally hired as 3d artist for 6 months, and got laid off again last week. Hope it won't be another 1.5 years of unemployment again, its really tough for non-ivy league grads to get any job at all.

May 17, 10 3:53 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Started a new job locally, sort of in Landscape Arch back in November after about 6 months out of work. I commute around 80 miles a day and my pay is on the lower end of the pay scale for my experience, but I'm working.

We're getting a lot of 'feelers' for work--potential clients calling and a handful of potentially great projects just over the horizon, but nothing solid yet. If we got half of the work we think we have a fair shot at getting we may be hiring. Kind of a weird situation.

My assessment is that people are out there truly looking for opportunity and trying to make things happen again, but there is still also a lot of desperation, both in terms of clients and firms and people are taking unusual measures.

May 17, 10 10:58 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

Gensler, HOK, HDR and RTKL are all hiring on the west coast.

May 17, 10 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Zen Maker

"its really tough for non-ivy league grads to get any job at all."

We had our chance Zen maker

I used to work at a certain large office in San Francisco - I was really out of place in that particular thicket of Ivy and other big 8 grads. I had the technical smarts - but I just wasn't a pedigree - Not cut out of the right cloth as they say - so I was laid off in '08, and after 16 months, can only find occasional temp jobs doing BIM details and picking up redlines. I am really grateful for whatever work I can get now. Good thing I learned Revit. else goodby architecture career.

lets face it, the Ivy's own it - so what can we do to help and to serve?

May 17, 10 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

um, it's still tough for ivy league grads to find work out there, too. i know plenty of ivy grads still looking, some for over a year (even two!) i also know plenty doing misc whatever to make ends meet.

that said, i'm totally stoked to post to this thread (hopefully soon). i'm also totally stoked to own it, whenever that might happen (and whatever that might mean). for the time being, this optimistic feeling is helping me crank out a few more round two cover letters.

May 17, 10 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Uhhh ... What planet are you guys living on? I've seen ivy league people get the axe just as much as people from public schools!

May 17, 10 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
metal

there are GSD grads flipping burgers...

May 18, 10 1:24 am  · 
 · 
BlazeFoley

Yea I agree firms don't really seem to consider an IVY degree all that important in hiring decisions these days...For example, I've been looking for a career 16 months now- after a layoff…. with only 6 interviews and sans offers during that period. Me: Master's from Columbia U, worked at Gehry Partners several years, licensed architect...I'm about to give up on this profession!

Interview tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo&feature=related

May 18, 10 1:32 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

rethinkit

We are in the same boat I guess, I was lucky enough to learn 3d max and now all I can get is couple of temp freelance renderings jobs here and there to pay my rent and sometimes to feed myself. I don't even know how am I going to get back to architecture, since I lost almost 2 years already, hopefully, someday I will be able to find full-time rendering position, buts extreme rarity these days....

May 18, 10 2:18 am  · 
 · 

The Odd Couple.... seems as though we are in the same boat... I was laid off 2 years ago and since have moved to china for a pathetic little job. Ivy league, almost finished my test and worked for a famous architect in LA as well... although not Gehry (I wish though!!!)

Now I am considering a career change as well, but not sure what to do... working in China and making 1400 a month is getting extremely old for someone with my experience and education.

I am so sick of it!!!

May 18, 10 5:03 am  · 
 · 
Spudnut

I was out of work in a large Midwest city for almost 9 months. I had numerous interviews but only 1 job offer in Feb (They offered 2/3 my original salary and no benefits). However, I turned that offer down, rolled the dice, and finally got something better. I accepted a position on the east coast with a 20% increase from what I was making before. It was worth the wait.

May 24, 10 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

Seems that Archinect has had dozens of jobs open for California and New York, but doesn't it cost an arm and a leg to live out there, mean time its pretty dry in between the coasts.

May 25, 10 1:48 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i left a job for a previous employer, who offered to better pay more, only to be laid off after 7 months. i didn't work for 3 months.

we just received 2 new projects and i'm back to work. i took a 20% paycut until the we enter working drawings and fees become more substantial...

Jun 7, 10 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: