Archinect
anchor

Online Resources for Standard Sizes

Sbeth85

Is there an online resource for standard sizes in architecture?

Such as, "Auditoriums for 300 people are usually # x #"?

Or-
"A standard stage needs # x # front stage, # x # backstage, this much for a lighting rig", etc?

I would like to to design a community center with dance and art studios, but short of visiting a variety and manually measuring them, I'm not sure about their optimal sizes. I have Googled every combination of terms I can think of, and haven't found a straight answer.

Is there 1 online source you know of?

May 11, 10 3:52 am
Bruce Prescott

If you can go to the library look at Timesaver Standards for Architectural Design. You might find it on google books, too. Architectural Graphic Standards has info on standard sizes as well, though not as much oriented toward planning.

Or draw 300 seats (21" wide average) in a code-complying arrangement (either "continental," with 36" seat to seat and no limit on how many seat s to the aisle or regular with 33" seat to seat and no more than 6 seats between any seat and the aisle) and see what you get.

May 11, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

thank you, spruce :)

May 13, 10 6:33 am  · 
 · 
msudon

^ like spruce, best idea is work from code requirement. after all, that's what it will be measured against.......

May 14, 10 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: