Archinect
anchor

City Guides

zinkplus

HEY

Are there any practical and comprehensive sort of tour/city guides out there on contemporary 21st Century architecture?

I know an extensive number of projects - I have heard of and read about them over the years and for the most part sufficed to that - I want to start visiting more projects, walk into them.

I know where some of my favorite buildings are, but I thought with a guide I could drop by other lesser known works while in that city/country.

PEACE OUT

May 5, 10 7:41 pm

Phaidon Atlas of 21st Century Architecture comes to mind... it is a behemoth of a book, and not really a 'city guide' as it attempts to encompass the entire world.

www.phaidon.com/21statlas/

May 5, 10 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
gtsf

It also has a smaller version, a pocket version that's pretty cheap. It's not as big as the big daddy (which is like a million dollars). But, it's good. It's like $19.00 or something like that..

http://www.phaidon.com/store/architecture/the-phaidon-atlas-of-contemporary-world-architecture-9780714844503/

May 6, 10 3:48 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

In Europe, most cities tend to have something of that sort. I know for a fact that there are pretty comprehensive guides for London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, Barcelona (those are the ones on my bookshelf, at least)

It's not part of any series or such, but mostly locally organized (by local architecture centres or something). Either there, or in one of the better bookstores of town, are mostly the best places to find one, depending on the city.

May 6, 10 4:05 am  · 
 · 
zinkplus

Thanks alot guys

I had come across the phaidon sets but I like to steer clear from the compendium type books from experience b/c they are too bulky and fashionable for my purposes. Im in for something more local - travel size affordable and dispensable but have yet to find ones that are dedicated to 21st century architecture. the latest stuff.

May 6, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 

I stand by MIMOA even though it's become full of mediocre projects that the designers add themselves...

it's generally a good intro to a city's contemporary architecture. they have exact locations and you can compile your own pdf guide, though last time i checked the pdf did not include google maps (for some legal reason).

mimoa.eu

I too wish there was a (hard-copy, published) series like this. It sounds like what the Wallpaper city guides SHOULD be (but obviously aren't).

May 6, 10 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
d-arch

TeNeues : Paris - Architecture & Design
http://www.amazon.com/Paris-guide-Architecture-Design-Guides/dp/382384573X

These books are the business. I have about half a dozen.

They're not sorted by building type, not geographically, which is a pain, but they are full of great projects. They're ultra portabe, but get them before you go so you have time to use them alongside a full size map.

May 6, 10 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
d-arch
May 6, 10 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: