Archinect
anchor

Switching professions and then returning to Architecture?

Here's my story...

I'll will be finishing my M.Arch this May.  I will have about $55,000 worth of student loans.  I have zero experience.

An opportunity has come for me to take a position in a completely different field, dealing with  criminal investigations, starting at more than $60,000.  

I find both paths to be interesting.  The investigation job would give me a completely new look on life (I have lived and breathed architecture for the past 5 years), but in the long run I see myself as an architect.  

Has anyone taken a sidetrack/break from their architecture career to try something else out?  If so, why?  How many years? What did you do?  Did you (or plan on it) go back into architecture?

Jun 13, 11 9:26 pm
backbay

i wouldn't pass that up.  if you're still in your early 20's, live with your parents for a year, save everything, and then you can go off and do WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT for the rest of your DEBT FREE life.  That one year of your life that you sacrifice architecture and freedom will set you up for a life where you won't be forced to sacrifice more important things  indefinitely.

Good luck man.

Jun 13, 11 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Go for it! You will learn a lot, more than you can as an entry level architect. Yes, you can always return to architeture, it will always be there. Best of luck!

Jun 14, 11 8:41 am  · 
 · 
masses

Thanks for the encouraging advice.  I'm not quite in my early 20's... i'll be 28 by the time I graduate, been married for 4 years, and possibly a kid on the way soon.  

My biggest concern is that if I stick with this job for 3-5 years, then try to get back into architecture I'll be a 33 year old who finished school 5 years prior with 0 (architecture) experience and potentially 5 years behind in whatever new software/technology comes out, not to mention a rather large pay cut.  

Fortunately I have time to mull this over.

Jun 14, 11 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

masses, 

I made the choice to go with the "investigation" job.  I too was finishing school and had a bambino on the way.  It was a huge crossroads and had the same reservations as you especially with as fast as new software gets developed.  Needless to say I have not gone back to architecture 7 years later. When it comes to raising a family you have to follow the money and security trail (as far as I'm concerned) there are so many unexpected bumps along the road that the last thing you want to do is regret not having a resource available for your wife and son because of a decision you did not make or made. I suppose this cuts both ways and there are no easy answers since everyone is different.  I'm glad I made the choice I made especially when I see my peers in architecture unable to start a family, working 60 hours a week (if they still have a job), and earning quite a bit less.  

It's not an easy decision and once in a while I wish I had the opportunity to do architecture, but if I really wanted to go back architecture will always be there. 

Jun 14, 11 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
masses

Thanks for sharing your experience Tectonic,

I'm interested to hear what your current involvement in architecture is.  You obviously read architecture websites, is that just because it is and always will be an interest to you?  You said "if i really wanted to go back," but do you ever plan on going back?  Or is it more like if the opportunity comes and the sacrifice isn't too great?  

Architecture school has taught me to be passionate about design, because it will save the world, and that is my calling...  Of course I say this with some cynicism, but nonetheless, I have bitten by the passion bug.  

Ultimately, for me, it's about happiness.  Financial security, college savings for future children, and more time with family, or essentially taking care of the ones I love is a means of happiness.  On the other hand, the fulfillment from creative work is another source of happiness, albeit at a more personal level.

Sometimes I look at the postman, or dentist, or banker, and think, "sure they're happy, but they don't need the creative outlet like I do," as a way to rationalize my supposed need for architecture.  Do most architects have an almost unquenchable appetite to build something?

Jun 14, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Money isn't everything, but the difference between $60k and 35K (if you can even find an arch job) will have a HUGE impact on your life.  Kids are expensive.  Have you priced daycare? 

Jun 14, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Yes - architecture will always be of interest to me.  I am an architect, but work for a construction company. I do not play a role as an architect but my architecture degree has certainly helped-me-out quite a bit at multiple levels.

I plan on going back but it will have to be on my terms.  As a matter of fact I found a very very interesting job opening about 5 minutes ago which may just fit the bill. I called and are waiting to hear back. I don't want to "sacrifice" anything I don't have to.  There's always a give and take but with architecture there appears to be much more giving than taking. 

I would argue that most architects do not have an "unquenchable appetite to build something" and this is part of the problem with our profession.  I believe that most architects wish they could build their own ideas and they spend a lot of time developing those ideas but not a lot of time on finding out how it actually going to be built - I mean really built, i.e. financing, logistics, bonding, profits .....etc. 

I'm an extremely creative person and channel that energy through painting and other activities such as raising my son and dealing with my wife.  I believe that this creativity will not fail me in figuring out where I'm ultimately going to end-up. Although at the same time I realize that life is an ever changing collection of thoughts, values and ideals. 

Jun 14, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

I'm an extremely creative person and channel that energy through painting and other activities such as raising my son and dealing with my wife.

Sorry Tectonic sounds like you might be having a rough go of it.

Jun 14, 11 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Life can be bumpy............jbushkey

Jun 14, 11 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

agreed.  There were days when that quote could have come from me...and admittedly some where my wife could have said something similar LOL

Jun 14, 11 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

masses: There's never anything wrong with pragmatism and doing what you've gotta do for your family and for yourself. However, if architecture is really what you love, make some effort going forward to orchestrate your life in such a manner that you don't get too far away from what you love. Otherwise, you'll just be working for a paycheck, and who's really happy doing that?

I've left the profession several times over the years to earn my living in other ways. However, in my case, I always was able to stay connected to the profession. That made it much easier to re-enter when I decided the time was right to do so.

My solutions aren't necessarily relevant to your life, so I won't burden you with them here. However, I expect if you think about it you'll find a way to stay connected.

Good luck .. I know this must be a trying time for you.

Jun 14, 11 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
masses

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I really appreciate it.   It's always great to hear other people's thoughts and experiences.  No matter what happens, I'm sure I'll continue to lurk around archinect and pick up any architecture related news regularly.

Jun 14, 11 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: