Archinect
anchor

make them an offer?

achensch

hi folks
I'm a recent m.arch grad-- just interviewed with a good firm that likely has many qualified candidates. I wonder if offering to work on a contract basis, or under the terms of a "6 month internship" or similar (neither of which were discussed in the interview) might help tip the balance in my favor? Or could such an offer give a negative impression?
thanks much

May 1, 10 1:56 pm
drums please, Fab?

nah, just send them a follow-up note/email/page/fax/poem/letter thanking them for the interview, maybe reiterate your qualifications and interest in the position, and say you're awaiting their decision on pins and needles. although they should have discussed what type of position it is (full time, part time, contract, intern *ahem* unpaid!?!)

if anything just wrap your follow-up letter with this:

one-two-three-four
Uno-do'-tres-cuatro
I know you want me (want me)
you know I want cha (want cha)
I know you want me
YOU KNOW I WANT CHA (want cha) !!

May 1, 10 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
achensch

done and done

May 1, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

everyone is automatically under a 6 month provation period whether you like it or not some have a 3 month period. They know they can fire us whenever they like its a dog eat dog world man, Good luck.

May 2, 10 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Yeah, liveload and frac are spot on.

In many states, employment contracts are only valid after a 3-month period.

And lastly, you should go by the DOL Wage and Hour division guidelines for pay. They'll be higher than what you'd expect. But if you like what the DOL says, you can say "this is what someone of my skill and wage is paid in (blank) area."

It is slightly more convincing than saying "this is what I think I am worth."

May 3, 10 1:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: