Archinect
anchor

Help

CMNDCTRL

I have been accepted to a 3 semester post-professional MArch program at Harvard on a grant. I would have to come up with living expenses. I am currently employed however, and from all the layoffs and general terror in our field, I am worried I would find myself with no place to go when I graduate in 2012. I am just starting to take my AREs because I can barely afford to take them, but my IDP is done. Should I just stay with my job (that is very secure) or should I gamble and go to Harvard? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance. I know this may seem like a good problem, it is making me lose sleep. The GSD has been a dream of mine, but so is eating.

Apr 29, 10 11:02 pm

Obviously, you need a clone.

Apr 30, 10 4:27 am  · 
 · 

If I were in your position, I'd discuss with my employer. if you leave on good terms maybe they can agree to rehire you after graduation.

Apr 30, 10 4:40 am  · 
 · 
do2

I wouldn’t go back to architecture school... try economics. Economists always have jobs, regardless of what the economy is doing.

Apr 30, 10 7:51 am  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

Cambridge is an expensive place to be. Can you cover all your anticipated living expenses, plus another six months post-completion with your savings? Does GSD know how precarious your financial situation is? Talk to department folks; perhaps they can help you with alternate housing arrangements, dorm housing, house-sit, roommates, etc, so that you can economize. Also talk to Harvard Housing folks; they can also be very helpful re: housing arrangements.

Are you already selected to be a TA as basis of grant? Any opportunities to get paid work at GSD or Harvard at large?

Yes, it's a gamble, but then you can't forecast the financial viability of your current firm through 2012 either, right?

Apr 30, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

Thanks for the advice chicagoarchitect. It just seems like an EXTRA gamble because I already have a professional degree and can get a license on top of being employed during the new "great recession.". In your experience, has the GSD education/connections/improvement been worth it? Or would it simply be an (albeit-great) resume padder?

Thank you for the advice..

May 1, 10 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: