Archinect
anchor

"Design a composition as a whole"?

zzyzx88

So my final design is for an indoor/outdoor project for first year. As we near jury, I find myself doubting my design, simply based on the instructions of "designing a composition as a whole". My design consist of a bridge based around a radial design where separate paths branch off from the bridge (above ground).But on one part of my model I have a stairwell that goes down to the ground level and my restrooms and storage areas are separate from the above ground composition.....will the jury see this as not following the design criteria, because I have my restroom and storage area not incorporated with the main path....? I'm not neurotic or anything, but I begin to worry that mine is not a seamless composition where the restroom and storage area are not incorporated or "hidden" within the project....My ground level still is based around lines of reference and direct relationships with the above ground.....any thoughts?

Apr 28, 10 6:24 pm
zzyzx88

tough crowd.....never mind then.

Apr 28, 10 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

this sounds like a good go at self-critique, zz. but, without seeing what you're talking about, we could only possibly respond to your commentary about what your design is, not tell you what we might think independent from your commentary.

and i didn't really follow what you were saying....

if you have doubts, try to address them. see where it takes you. you can always backtrack if you determine that you need to.

good luck.

Apr 28, 10 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

other than accessibility problems with a 'stairwell' (which in 1st year you shouldn't be too concerned about) there's no problem with your description as long as all your decisions are justified by your overall concept.

so if sticking the restrooms/storage on a lower level reinforces whatever design idea(s) you are trying to communicate then that's all that really matters .. and it has to look good, too.

Apr 28, 10 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
zzyzx88

Oh sorry, didn't mean to say "stairwell" I just meant stairs. Thanks for the explanations. I will study my design ideas and find a proper way to discuss it with the jury. I guess the first thing to do is to be confident in my ideas and just justify it with proper attention to all Ive learned in first year. Thanks again!

Apr 28, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: