Archinect
anchor

Whatever happened to...?

PostDepot

To start with, whatever happened to Paolo Portoghesi?

Who else?

Apr 27, 10 3:21 pm
PostDepot
Mario Botta

Emilio Ambasz

Any faded fame from 10-15 years ago?

Apr 27, 10 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
nonneutral

Maya Lin

Apr 27, 10 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

or do you remember when Frank D Israel was bigger than Frank Gehry?

Apr 27, 10 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

maya lin recently completed a pretty big project in nyc.

i believe Botta is still teaching at the architcture school in Mendrisio.

Apr 28, 10 5:19 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Maya Lin made an appearance at earth day in NYC this year. It was in the news paper. Shes kind of a big deal.

Apr 28, 10 6:58 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Although they called her an artist, not an architect.

Apr 28, 10 7:00 am  · 
 · 

Yep, Maya Lin is a huge deal. She's a very successful artist - when she spoke here a year ago she had work booked three years out.

I always thought Helmut Jahn - who was a veritable god when I was in school - had disappeared, but he just was busy in Europe.

Apr 28, 10 7:35 am  · 
 · 

@iheartbooks... they call her an artist because she's not licensed as an architect...

Apr 28, 10 7:59 am  · 
 · 
PostDepot

(In 3 minutes) Ricardo E. Bofill...

Apr 28, 10 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

whatever happened to the Garwondler?

Apr 28, 10 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

archi. i'd imagine Israel would still be pretty big if he hadn't died...

Apr 28, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
nonneutral

Maya Lin may still be someone who people have heard of, but what is she really recognized for, at any significant scale, beyond the Vietnam wall from way back in the 1980s? If she hadn't done that project, but had done every other project that she has completed since, then she would be a very minor footnote. She's a one-hit wonder.

Apr 28, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
w4000

whatever happened to Fizz candy?

Apr 30, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

nonneutral -

the 'wave' landscape projects are rigorous in conception and execution and impact and the civil rights memorial was a similarly exquisite project. as was the langston hughes library. all of her projects are so tightly controlled that i think it's the methodology that made her notable, not the single 'hit'.

she may not ever have reached the level of notoriety that she did, simply because these later projects aren't as much in the public eye, but i believe that she would have been known - and more than a footnote - just for these things.

Apr 30, 10 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
de Architectura

Tadao Ando ... Maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard his name in awhile.

May 1, 10 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
outed

how about lindy roy? she was the new 'it' girl about 7 years ago. then... jeanne gang came along....

May 2, 10 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

2008, when the Highline 519 was completed seems to be the last time she has been mentioned.

May 5, 10 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: