Archinect
anchor

Sewer gas

webtearout

Yes, I wrote sewer gas! I am living in an old building that was turned into lofts about 15 years ago. Every month, I have to pour water in the ptrap to flush it out myself, because the sewer gas leaks out. In other words there is no vent outside the building for this. Isn't that against health code, and how did they get their certificate of occupancy without this venting system? Lately, it has been leaking into my room every other day and the management makes temporary repairs. I am assuming there are health risks with breathing this, until I move out. I am almost afraid to ask what they are. Maybe I am overreacting. Any thoughts?

Apr 22, 10 4:41 pm
do2

Im sure there is a vent outside the building. This sounds like a floor drain that doesnt get enough use? If you didnt use your sink for a month you would have the same odor.

Apr 22, 10 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's not a health issue but it is understandable if smell bothers you rather than bringing back memories of summer in Barcelona. Have they chased the vent all the way back from the roof, or are they trying to fix it solely from within your garret?

Apr 23, 10 12:30 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Could also likely be a hole in a waste line somewhere. At the time the smell started (or has it always been there?) was someone doing plumbing work? I moved into a place that had an incredibly odoriferous closet - turns out someone had snaked the sewer line and punctured it. It was venting under the (my) house and finding it's way into the closet. Once the line was replaced, the sewer was back to being vented to the sky!

Apr 23, 10 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Or maybe you just need to dismantle your sink and give it a thorough cleaning. This includes the pop-up stopper (if you have one). Some sinks have internal cavities that the water is recycled through (through the overflow) which can harbor lots of grimy stuff.

Apr 23, 10 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
do2

I wish my boston terrior had an air vent... his flatulence is a health risk.

Apr 23, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: