Archinect
anchor

"identity crisis"

do2

Wondering how many architects, those unemployed (or employed I guess) have attempted to find work over on the dark side...meaning construction?

And if you were offered a position would you feel as though you lost some of your identity? All the hard work you put into your career, such as, taking exams, learning modeling & drafting software, researching materials, developing your design skills... etc. Would all that have been a waste? Would a job in construction be nearly as satisfying?

Apr 22, 10 4:38 pm
On the fence

You mean swinging a hammer? Probably.

Running a job though is part of this field. There is nothing wrong with construction management.

Apr 22, 10 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
do2

Let’s say no hammers, just management.

Apr 22, 10 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
do2

See below, I found this post in the salary poll section. I think someone just turned a light on over on the dark side......

62 (M) Phoenix, Arizona $64,000

Type of work: Fulltime
Type of workplace: Corporate
B. Architecture
B.S. Botany
I year grad school
Registered Architect, Az, Ca. and
Registered Landscape Architect, Az, Ca.
38 years experience
40 hrs vacation
Health and dental insurance
No retirement program
Took 20% paycut in 09
40-60 hr weeks+
bonus-rare

I have been used, abused, stabbed in the back by co-workers and overworked all my life. My retirement savings is disappearing. I am a very talented designer and project manager. What a depressing profession. The rewards are very small.
Posted: Apr, '10

Apr 22, 10 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
yarchitect

omg... so sad.

Apr 22, 10 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

omg.. so sad. Really - I would gladly trade up to do2

Apr 22, 10 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
do2

rethinkit, I think you are mistaking the post above for my post. It was a post I found on the salary page... but I also would be happy to trade up to his situation.

Apr 23, 10 6:42 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I found construction management much more rewarding than architecture which is why I left the "dark side". A construction site can be a very exhillarating work place. Subs needing your help to understand the docs, Superintendants yelling at you because you forgot to confirm a shipment that is now a week late. Attempting to make sense of three hundred page CD's and 1000 page specs at a furious pace. Walking throught the mud on a cool spring morning looking at the building rising out of the ground and understanding the huge financial risk that you are there to manage can be highly rewarding. Plus there is the excitement that comes with the fact that if you aren't prepared to be on site that day, you might be going home in a body bag. Let's see... click.. click.. click behind the screen with headphones softly sounding NPR or...?

Anyone, architect or construction manager, who claims to be overworked and betrayed is usually in that position because they tolerated it.

Apr 23, 10 10:32 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Sorry... forgot the most important part. Don't ever define yourself by your job title.

Apr 23, 10 10:34 am  · 
 · 

I actually fantasize about doing construction management - exactly what you describe, wurdan. There's almost nowhere I'd rather be than on a jobsite, where the problems are immediate and tangible. Not like design, where you can nuerote over three shades of white for 45 minutes. But wait, I do that on the jobsite as it is. Crap.

Apr 23, 10 11:00 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I agree with Donna, I love being on a jobsite, and I think construction management could be very rewarding.

Apr 23, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
w4000

I think the fundamental problem is that when we were young and stupid and were aspiring to become architects we thought we will be doing both the drafting / designing and construction. I think CA pales in comparision from what we first imagine our role would be in the construction.

I think getting out in the field and making decisions on the spot might be only few fun parts of the job.

Apr 23, 10 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

The dark side?? Interesting. So if a movie director saw you at a coffee shop and thought you would be perfect for a small role which eventually leads towards other roles in a handful of movies, you wouldn’t take it? You see that the money is unbelievably awesome yet you’re not designing anything or even doing anything remotely related to architecture. Is that a crime to your field? Would you give up acting in the long run to go back to doing architecture since you poured your heart and soul so many years or would you continue acting?

Apr 23, 10 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
do2

Why is the money so much better on the dark side... why are architects sooo underpaid compared to others in the industry? The new issue of Architect magazine came out today and the front page story is " The income Implosion" who determines this sh@t? The only way to get a job these days is by whoring yourself out at a bargain. Even then they expect a 60 hour work week...

Architects need to take on more responsibility and greater risk. We are held back by licensing boards, insurance companies and national organizations. Until we swallow some lead and grow some balls only then will we be respected and called upon to solve real problems. Im sick to my stomach writing about this....

Apr 23, 10 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Just found out someone in my program is switching over to construction management. Should be good for him, he wears boots in April.

Apr 23, 10 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: