Archinect
anchor

Dell Precision- need it?

Sbeth85

Apparently the Precision is Dell's laptop meant for CAD usage, with better graphic cards. If, so far, I only see myself using AutoCAD and Revit (not sure if I'll go to grad school in the Fall or not), is it worth the extra price?

Or is it worth it, just in case I ever do need these fancier programs?

I had a Studio 1557, core i7 which kept crashing when playing HD video, pretty lame. Trying to get a system replacement. Thanks for any thoughts.

Apr 22, 10 3:27 am
ctrlZ

Dell, from my experience and the experience of colleagues, is very difficult to work with if there is an issue with the system - read the copious complaints and reviews on the BBB - and they build using older parts in order to build cheaper workstations. My suggestion is to go with BOXX. Most of BOXX's employees use Revit, 3dsMax etc and knows what the workload on the processors and requirements of memory will be depending on the programs used. Alienware used to be better but is now owned and run by Dell.

Apr 22, 10 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd disagree with that. BOXX makes top quality machines, but you pay a super premium for them.

I have a Dell Precision M90, going on 3 years now, super super super reliable. Tech support, for the one time I needed it, was stellar (showed up within 24 hours to replace the DVD). Gold Tech support is worth every penny (US based, very very short wait time, etc.).

Do you need it? Probably not, but the quality of the build is great and components are the best available (don't know where the "older parts" conclusion came from, mine was equipped with the very best available, even negotiated $1000 of free upgrades).

As for the HD video, if you are planning on playing uncompressed HD, you'll need a lot more of a machine.

Apr 22, 10 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Full of hate hate hate for dell machines. My experience is with their boxes, where their approach was to get high level processors in graphics cards into lower priced machines by cheaping out on power supplies, exhaust fans, and everything else that doesn't show up on the spec sheet. Also - it takes almost as much time to remove all the bloatware as to just install fresh without it.

Apr 23, 10 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I have come to the conclusion that it is always best to buy the most expensive computer you can possibly afford given if it has really good specs.

That way you don't have to replace your computer for at least three years.

If you buy a cheap computer, you'll more than likely have to turn around and buy a new computer in 1.5 years-- games, CAD programs, adobe and whatever else seems to grow more and more resource intensive.

I finally have what you would consider a "good laptop" and I haven't looked back. I got mine onsale for a $1000 marked down from $1750 (hell yeah price match)!

Apr 23, 10 12:40 am  · 
 · 
harhainen

Normally, I would agree that Dell's CONSUMER laptop lines and customer service are pretty much trash.

But Dell's PROFESSIONAL lines, especially the Precisions, have really blown me away.

I've owned a Precision M90 for 3.5 years, and it was an absolute workhorse. I'm constantly jumping between programs, and this computer would always keep up. My rig would be running AutoCAD 2009, Photoshop CS3, FormZ, and Itunes simultaneously and not even stutter.

The customer service has always been tip-top as well. The service line for Dell Professional computers is different from the consumer line, and it really makes a difference. When I call I usually never have to wait, and they do next day ON SITE repairs, no questions asked. As far as repairs go, they were never anything serious, just little things like screen discoloration. I never had any major/fatal system failures.

That being said, my M90 did develop a strange quirk where it would crash coming out of hibernation, so in the end Dell sent me a Precision M6400 as a system replacement. So far this laptop has been amazing, the internal parts are stupid powerful. It has every feature a power user could want, it even has light up programmable touch sliders for CS4 in the trackpad! And the build quality is pretty great, not Apple great, but still very good.

That being said, the power and customer service doesn't come cheap, but these computers are beasts, and will easily be useful for at least 4-5 years. If it wasn't for my system replacement, the M90 probably still had 1-2 years left in it.

Apr 23, 10 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

Thanks for all the responses....

Back in 2003 I bought an Apple Powerbook and it's STILL going strong. (Actually, it streams videos better than my brand-new Studio 1557!)

So, Unicorn Slaughter, I would agree with you about buying the best. HOWEVER- maybe it's just worth it to buy something more affordable, knowing that I can get another laptop if this one poops out?

The reason I'm choosing Dell is that they have on-site service here in Israel. When my Dell's RAM just stopped working, the customer service was here within 24 hours and fixed it perfectly. However, for the HD-problem, it's been months and months of complaining, them abducting my laptop to a lab for 3 weeks (making me fall severely behind in school), them finally returning it 'fixed' but it still having the problem...

But anyways, it seems that the consensus is that the Precisions are worth the money, even if I don't end up using them rigorously. Thanks, everyone.

Apr 25, 10 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
harhainen

Sbeth85 - A quick side note about your problems with your HD on your Dell.

Apparently it's Dell policy that if they cannot solve your problem after 3 tries, they must offer you a system replacement, which usually means the a laptop from the new line of computers with similar specs to your old one. Although in most cases that means an upgrade to current level of parts.

With my old Precision, they wanted to send mine back to the "lab" as well, but you can decline this. They understand how important having a computer is for work, so if you make enough noise they'll find other solutions. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Apr 25, 10 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

Thank you, harhainen!

For the original problem, the freezing occurred predictably and was easily replicable. The current freezing and crashing I just witnessed happened randomly, I don't know how to fix it. But it shouldn't have frozen at all. I am making as much noise as I can via email... I think for all this trouble they should at least let me switch out of the Studio line into the Precisions, especially since I thought the Studios were meant for architecture, but apparently don't have the best graphic cards. :shrug:

But I'll keep trying, thank you :)

Apr 26, 10 6:45 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

If you're thinking about Precisions but don't want to pay that much, check out the Vostro line. I'm assuming it's their entry Pro laptop. I just received the 3700 and so far am pretty impressed. My impression is it's a slight notch below the Precision in case quality, etc. but the hardware is mostly comparable. The graphics card isn't the quality of the Precision and the screen is 720p, but I do a lot of high-res. camera work and it is more than capable. Last night I was simultaneously running ACAD, Photoshop, Capture NX (Nikon's RAW format photo editor), iTunes, Internet Explorer, Acrobat and maybe more, all while backing up my external hard drive without a glitch. Applications & Files open up and save at the snap of a finger, including ACAD. Note: I have the i7 quad core 720. I've heard if you do a lot of 3D rendering you might want to upgrade to the 840. I personally don't. And when I downloaded an app that zonked my dvd drive, I had the Small-biz Dell rep on the phone fixing it first call that night, english-speaking to boot. So I wouldn't worry about service. Silent, rarely runs hard or gets too warm. Runs a grand or more less than the Precision if I remember right.

Oct 14, 10 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Laptops are bad.

Build your own machine.

Stop being lazy.

Oct 15, 10 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Dell Precisions are very good, have a 4 year old model that still kicks the ass of most modern laptops.

XPS is better.

Oct 15, 10 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: