Archinect
anchor

m.Arch degrees translation into other fields...

twobie2

I am somewhat interested in using my architecture degree for something other than buildings. Small scale industrial design type things seem to interest me somewhat (furniture ect...) I would rather get an mArch than an Industrial Design degree. Does anyone have any experience with crossover between the two fields?

Basically... What else are people using their mArch degrees for besides actually practicing architecture?

Apr 17, 10 10:10 pm
ARCHCareersGuide.com

MArch gradautes do whatever their imagination can imagine.

The education you will receive may also prepare you for many occupations:

Architect - Principal
Architectural Journalist
Architectural Historian
Corporate Architect
Draftsperson
Architectural Engineer
Art Director
Banker
Building Contractor
Building Inspector
Building Researcher
Carpenter
Cartographer
City Manager
Civil Engineer
Computer Systems Analyst
Construction Manager
Construction Worker
Creative Director
Facilities Manager
Fashion Designer
Furniture Designer
General Laborer
Graphic Designer
Illuminating Engineer
Illustrator
Industrial Designer
Industrial Engineer
Landscape Architect
Lawyer
Management Analyst
Marine Architect
Materials/Products Sales
Mechanical Engineer
Photographer
Physical Plant Inspector
Professor
Public Architect
Real Estate Appraisers
Real Estate Broker/Analyst
School Plant Consultant
Set Designer
Specification Writer
Surveyor
Technical Illustrator
University Architect
Urban Planner
Writer, Technical Publications

Apr 18, 10 7:19 am  · 
 · 
PaulRevere

"Basically... What else are people using their mArch degrees for besides actually practicing architecture?"

unemployed, perpetually underpaid "intern" is what 95% of MArch graduates use their degrees for.

Apr 18, 10 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

My M.Arch degree currently resides in a folder at the bottom of my sock drawer.

Apr 18, 10 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
m22b

PaulRevere and ''_' dude... are you deliberately trying to scare me... There has to be some level of success in architecture. Is it simply the case that the only people who come on these forums to post are the ones who are unhappy, so they are seeking an outlet to rant... or are the majority of mArch's really destined for unemployment or low salaries positions drafting?

Apr 18, 10 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Remember, people outside the profession still think we're intelligent and full of great ideas or they wouldn't hire us for anything but a rubber stamp at a flat fee. You can always use that perception to your advantage, I certainly do as I ride out the recession.

Oh and I'll leave this right here...
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=90688_0_42_0_C

Apr 19, 10 2:18 am  · 
 · 

i have a stack of awards as well as m.arch, a phd and a few medals that sit in my closet. sometimes i take out my license but it usually sits on a shelf at the office. they are still achievements mind you, i just don't think they are the important part of what i do. maybe that is what morse does too.

there are lots of jobs you could do from m.arch. but if you want to do another job why not just study for that instead? as an architect you will be rather piss poor at most of the alternative careers out there, or at the very least will be starting at the bottom of the pack when it comes time to compete for jobs and work as graphic artist or whatever. project management and other construction related jobs make more sense, but then too i think there are actual courses for much of that as well.

now is a hard time for the industry. i love my job but it is a serious struggle. it isn't about hate, just reality. this is not a business that leads to much money or job security, and for many it does not even offer job satisfaction. that is simply the way it is.

Apr 19, 10 2:44 am  · 
 · 
bjlehrer

It seems to me that level of success is directly proportional to how important the people you know are. This goes for any profession, but especially architecture... anyone disagree?

Apr 19, 10 7:08 am  · 
 · 
bjlehrer

Also I need help with graduate programs:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=97747_0_42_0_C

Apr 19, 10 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Yeah I am not sure why the original poster would go to architecture school if they are really interested in doing something else to begin with.

m22b: as you know, it's a difficult time in the economy and many architects (myself included) are sitting unemployed with very little options. The overall tone of Archinect's discussion forum is a reflection of that simple fact and for the most part is not people going out of their way to paint a negative view of the profession. I still want to pursue architecture (if I remember how) and hope that sometime in the near future that becomes a possibility.

Apr 19, 10 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Beware, rather than drawing the conclusion that MArch holders have potential to be successful in a multitude of other fields speaks more about the kinds of candidates who enter such programs, not necessarily a product of the degree itself. In other words, could it be that students who pursue architecture are among the most intelligent and talented of the lot, and the successes they may find outside the industry are because of this, not because they hold an architecture degree.

Apr 20, 10 11:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: