Archinect
anchor

USC or SCI-Arc

Hello everyone,

This topic has probably been discussed millions of times here, but I still need your advices.
I am accepted by both schools to their MArch I program, thus I have to decide where to go now. USC's program is much shorter, only 2 years, and with the funding they give me, the cost for USC will be much cheaper than for SCI-Arc's three-yr-and a half program. However, in terms of school reputation I think SCI-Arc is probably better than USC, and I can probably learn much more in the extra one year and half. Furthermore, SCI-Arc's facility is way better, since USC does not even have a 3D printer, which presumably results in a far better learning experience in digital fabrication in SCI-Arc. I don't even know if USC teaches you anything about digital fabrication.

So I think USC = shorter program, sleep well, and much cheaper; SCI-Arc = better curriculum and faculty, better facility, overall better learning experience, but expensive.

Help me make the decision! Thnx.

Apr 13, 10 7:22 pm
weienko

How much more expensive are you talking about? 5-10k? or 11-20k?
If it is under or around 10k, I would say go for SCI-Arc. But if it is more, you don't want to be in debt when you graduate.
I don't know about USC, but the accumulation of $$ you would spend on materials/prints/fabrication(if out source) at sciarc after 3.5 yrs will be huge.

They are both good schools. SCI-Arc has more reputation because of its 'style'

Apr 13, 10 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I went to SCI-Arc. M.Arch 2. Graduate F.08

I had to go to USC to use a book their library had that the SCI-Arc library didn't. Research project.

While in the USC Architecture library, scanning pages, a USC student came in and had no idea how to use the scanner.

Keep in mind I don't go to USC.

I end up spending the next 10 minutes teaching the USC student how to scan documents, mainly because the USC library already threatened to kick me out.

To start with, I open Photoshop. This elicits the following response:

"I don't know how to use Photoshop!?"

I will admit this particular student had the look of what you would expect the film version of a USC student to look like, i.e. dumb blonde. Later I did meet other USC grads. who were nothing like above mentioned student.

What I will say is that the programs are VASTLY different. There is a lot more at stake here than a difference in tuition cost. Yes, SCI-Arc has a reputation, although that is largely from the M.Arch 2 work. But just because it has a reputation, doesn't mean you should go there. It's not a school for everyone and I saw plenty of students struggle because they choose reputation over program.

Apr 13, 10 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
mr_minnesota

if ur comparing usc and sciarc and cant make a decision then u have way more to think about.... both are very different schools...

Apr 13, 10 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
FuzzyWuzzy

I'm in the same boat, I think im choosing USC (although my acceptance to sci-arc was for M.Arch 2)

Apr 13, 10 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

It seems like you already made up your mind.

Apr 13, 10 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
zjz0819

Thnx you all for your advises.
I think I will go to USC, for it's much cheaper, and a shorter program. For the extra one year and half, I might eventually go to AA for its DRL after graduation from USC.

Apr 13, 10 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
C-anad

Hello ZJZ0819, could u plz tell me how USC is chaper than SCI-arc? Is that merely because of the length of the program?

Apr 18, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
StarvingDesigner

No 3D printer at USC?? There was one when I was there (Sp09). There's actually more cross-pollination of sci-arc faculty over to USC now, and some new interesting visiting professors. And there are more digital fabrication/parametric courses.

Apr 18, 10 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
zjz0819

Kianad,
Yes, because of the length of the program and the funding they give me.

StarvingDesigner,
Thanks for the information.
I do realize that they have 3D-printer, as one of my friends there told me so. However, according to what appears on their website, the 3d-printer was still "coming soon", that's how I was misled.

Apr 19, 10 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
ctrlZ

SCI-Arc, Penn or GSAPP?

Apr 21, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
ctrlZ

Is UCLA and USC on par with SCI-Arc?

Apr 21, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

UCLA is probably closer to SCI-Arc than USC. Many of the instructors from UCLA and SCI-Arc teach at both schools, attend reviews, etc. so you can see some threads of similarity between the work.

I think the difference between them is that SCI-Arc tends to remain pretty unhinged and the work (in general) neglects any real-world parameters, instead favoring the limits of design where the work at UCLA stays a little more focused on real-world architecture. When I went to SCI-Arc, UCLA only had a 3 year option which made the program less attractive but now that there is a 2 year program (they did get that approved right??) I would probably have considered it a lot more.

Apr 21, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
ctrlZ

SCI-Arc's national reputation is still perceived to be one of the top tier schools (ala UPenn, GSAPP, Princeton [GSD which may be above]), as UCLA is still considered on the level of Cal Berk., Syracuse, Mich. - still very good programs... or am I incorrect on the national perception?

Apr 21, 10 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
ctrlZ

I expected some sort of retort from the Bruin faithful.

Apr 22, 10 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

The new dean at USC is Qingyun Ma. He's a fascinating fellow. He's taking the school in a really interesting direction, focusing on integrated design methodology.

Here's a link to his firm website:

MADA s.p.a.m.

Apr 23, 10 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
zinkplus

zjz0819

"USC's program is much shorter, only 2 years..." to their credit the program is only open to students with a pre-professional degree in architecture which makes sense since most three-year track programs spend a year on getting everybody up to speed

"I don't even know if USC teaches you anything about digital fabrication."
this has certainly been a concern in the past but the school is now, from what seems, in a process of transformation which heavily emphasizes emerging technology and parametric design, the appointment of dean Ma and visiting faculty like roche and kokkugia attest to that.

"So I think USC = shorter program, sleep well" yeee,,, im not too sure about that!!! shorter program most likely will be a more intensive experience...if sleeping well is your main concern you should check the therapeutic bed thread...

PEACE OUT

Apr 25, 10 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

Neither they both suck

Apr 25, 10 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
ctrlZ

That was poetic.

Apr 25, 10 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: