Archinect
anchor

UW Architecture BA Applicant Portfolio

Hello,

I have received a mail- in interview invitation from the school of architecture at UW. I have completed my online portfolio, and would like to request for some feedback from architecture students/ professionals here. This is my portfolio. 

Also, for my interview video (I will be recording the video and sending it to waterloo), is it fine if I discuss my work in a casual manner? I learned that the interviews held at UW are very much conversational- like. I chose to discuss two fairly personal artworks, one is a piece exploring surrealism ("surge"), and the other is a self- portrait ("self II- tangled"). I find that I have alot to say about my art (since the video has a limit of 7 min. maximum) I was wondering if it is better to discuss one piece thoroughly or is it recommended to discuss at least two? 

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Apr 8, 14 8:04 am
Non Sequitur

Wait, why are you simply not going in for an interview? I've given many interviews for that school and the "in-person" ones always fair much better.

Apr 8, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

discuss two.. what if they're not impressed with one :)  Based on your work, I'd admit you for undergrad ^^

Apr 8, 14 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Janbreeze

@Non Sequitur I live in BC, unfortunatly I cant go to the interview because I really dont have the budget, and my AP calc final is around the time the interviews are scheduled this year.

@accesskb Thanks for the advice! I'll see if I can make it work. and thank you! it means a lot. 

Apr 9, 14 4:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Janbreeze, fair-enough I guess. Not everyone makes it down for the in-person interviews. I've done many in-person interviews but I've never participated in the video (mail-in) or skype ones.

From what I see in your website, the strongest pieces are those ink sketches. I would try and give some attention to these because the reviewers are more interested in the quick & dirty sketches than a few polished pieces complete with elaborate background stories. It is the quality of the student's sketchbook that wins them entrance.

Also, almost everyone applying shows fashion drawings and photography... leave those out of your interview.

Apr 9, 14 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Janbreeze

@Non Sequitur Thank you for the advice!! I will definitely discuss my sketches in the video then. 

Do you think I should just leave the photography and fashion drawings out of my portfolio?

Apr 9, 14 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Janbreeze, don't totally leave them out, but keep them as background noise... nothing more.

Apr 9, 14 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Janbreeze

Thanks for all of your advice! I  received an offer of admission from waterloo arch. yesterday :) 

May 1, 14 3:31 am  · 
 · 
nancyyeh

Hi Janbreeze congrats !! I've received an offer from waterloo arch too and I live in BC as well! Im just rly curious about what others did for their portfolio. can u paste a link on here? Also, I'm deciding between U of T and waterloo, are u going to waterloo for sure? 

May 4, 16 12:00 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

this is a thread from 2014 ><

May 4, 16 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nancy, look at the other 4 Waterloo vs UofT vs RU threads in the forums. Your question will be quickly answered.

May 4, 16 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: