Archinect
anchor

Problem on deciding which university to go for Architecture.

Lim1271

Hi,

I am going for my bachelor's next in the hopes of becoming a professional architect, but am finding it difficult to decide on the right program. These are the universities the I applied to:

1) Carleton University (still waiting for decision)
2) McGill (still waiting for decision)
3) Ocad (Accepted)
4) UofT (Accepted)
5) Dalhousie. (Accepted)

If you've gone to any of these universities please tell me about your exprience and any suggestions that you have.

Thank you so much.
Lim

Apr 9, 10 11:41 am
Bench

Hey Lim, did you apply to the B.Arch program at those places? Because as far as I know, U of T doesn't have a bachelors program in architecture (they have a B. of Arts in history/theory but not a B.Arch studio/design degree), and Dalhousie is a 3rd year application (need to finish 2 years in a bachelors program first) and they arent sending out offers until mid-May...

Apr 9, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Well, BenC hit the nail on the head--you've been accepted to three programs that aren't architecture, per se.

U of T has great resources, though no studio space for undergraduates. There is no guarantee you'll get in to their M.Arch program either.

I thought about OCAD at one point, but several former and once-current students complained about it. I think I would've actually chosen Ryerson over OCAD.

If you were accepted to Dalhousie already, I'll assume it was in to first year and thus not the BEDS program.

Regardless, I personally would choose McGill over Carleton but either of these over all of the above!

Apr 9, 10 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Lim1271

Hi,
thanks for the replies!
I applied to UofT as a back up plan.. I'm not planning to go there.. same as for Dalhousie.
My 3 major choices are mcgill carleton and ocad; mcgill is my first choice.
I heard that McGill is more technical, with more emphasis on sciences rather than the design and art aspect as in carleton. Also, there's no Co-op which makes it more difficult to decide.
I also browsed here, and read some discussions but in neither of them could find anything mentioned about OCAD and I know that they offer environmental design which later can be continued as M.Arch in other universities.

Apr 9, 10 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

I've talked to two graduates of OCAD's BED program and both had to do the long-route M.Arch, opposed to U of T/Carleton grads who can fast track (1.5-2 year M.Arch).

Apr 9, 10 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Are you sure UofT degrees can take the faster M.Arch? Possibly inhouse, but I talked to Waterloo and I dont think they will even let you apply to their masters program with UofT's degree, seems like that would be the case with most others?

Lim, what were you accepted to at Dal?

Apr 9, 10 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Endooo

Double check this, but from what I remember, Waterloo will only accept a 5 year b.arch or its equivalent into their m.arch program.

UofT's program apparently only offers studio classes up until the 2nd year, and from then on it's all theory.

I haven't heard anything particularly well about OCAD's B.ED program... they don't touch any cad software according to a friend of mine who's in her second year there. That, and the work shown at their open house wasn't all too impressive. You would have to do the full 3.5 or so years if you wanted to pursue an m.arch though.

Unrelated, but for whatever reason I get the impression that they try to appeal to people who want to study interior design as well even though they aren't CIDA accredited... though many of my friends who want to be interior designers have either applied there or are studying there. They're quite involved with shows like IDS or the DesignExchange like every other interior design school. I question why you would choose OCAD over Carleton, Mcgill or Dalhousie.

Dalhousie offers co-op, which is a huge advantage, but I recall they required 2 years of foundational studies in any other discipline. Have you already finished 2 years of university? What program did you apply to at Dal?

Don't know too much about Carleton or Mcgill, though Mcgill has turned out the likes of Moshe Safdie... and the School Blog's Lian who's at the GSD now.

Apr 10, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Lim1271

as for Dal I applied just for the BA and only after two years i'll do the actual architecture program as you said. but I would really prefer to start with B.Arch from the beginning as offered in Mcgill\carleton. Plus I'm from Toronto and dal's pretty far.
U of T does not really appeal to me to be honest.

Well I haven't heard from McGill or carleton yet, and OCAD is the only school that I got accepted to (after reviewing my portfolio).
From my research they have environmental design (4 years in total) which after completing this program I can pursue for a MArch degree in U of T\Waterloo\Mcgill\Carleton and such..
I spoken to a few people in OCAD who know other people who have done that but don't really know anything about their experience; and I wonder, if I actually end up not getting accepted into carleton\mcgill then is the road for MArch is harder for ocad students? maybe the universities do not really find that specific design degree good enough as a prerequisite as you mentioned that Waterloo does not accept UofT students with BA.
My concern is if the BED really matches the road of a person who wants to become an architect, because I want to have enough knowledge on my shoulders before entering MArch so I won't struggle through the program. I don't want any shortcuts or anything like that. I want the full education experience and whatever it takes.

Apr 10, 10 2:08 am  · 
 · 
erjonsn

The BED at Dalhousie is more focused on architecture than the BED at OCAD. jus sayin'

Apr 10, 10 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Endooo: "Double check this, but from what I remember, Waterloo will only accept a 5 year b.arch or its equivalent into their m.arch program."

100% accurate. I visited the UW School of Arch in December and they will only accept applications from people with a Bachelor of Architectural Studies or equivalent from other universities, but you have to do 1-2 pre-arch semesters to show that you belong there. Dal, Carleton, Ryerson, McGill, etc. programs all qualify, but I would be doubtful if U of T or OCADs programs were acceptable.

The B.EDS degree at Dal (& UBC for that matter) are both registered professional architecture degrees.

Apr 10, 10 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Sorry, and by "registered professional architecture degrees" I meant that they LEAD INTO registered professional architecture masters degrees.

Apr 10, 10 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

Have you considered any American schools of architecture? Some offer great scholarships.

Apr 10, 10 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: