Archinect
anchor

Hotels in Basel?

innes

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in Basel?
cheers!

Apr 8, 10 7:38 am

If you're trying to save money, I've had good experiences with couchsurfing in Basel. Hostels in Weil-am-Rhine (DE) or St Louis (FR) may be cheaper than the Swiss side of the border, and you'd still be well-connected by public transport.

Apr 8, 10 8:40 am  · 
 · 
gillespie

the easyhotel is not far from the tram line, if i remember correctly. the bed was wonderful, but the orange accent wall and bathroom were a bit much.

easyhotel
Riehenring 109
4058 Basel, Switzerland

Apr 8, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Basel Backpackers.

http://baselbackpack.com/

Loved it.

Apr 8, 10 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
pettydesign

i stayed at basel backpackers too a few years ago. nice place. recommend.

Apr 8, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
name on your posts

Basel YMCA does not suck. Everything is clean and it is really close to the tram lines and the train station

Apr 10, 10 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
soni

I loved Basel YMCA as well. Really clean, modern, great breakfast, nice kitchen as well. Its a 3 minute walk to the train station.

Apr 10, 10 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
innes

thanks to everyone for the recommendations! I'm staying at the easyhotel & it's worked out perfectly for a last minute stay here in Basel.
cheers!

Apr 11, 10 11:55 am  · 
 · 
gillespie

so, the easyhotel is strictly a la carte, and that includes the television. it was 5 chf for a 24hr remote. i was staying there for three or four days, and really just wanted to watch cnn international. i bought the remote day one, and true to form, expired after 24 hours. the times didn't deactivate automatically, but rather when one changed the channel or turned the set off. so here was my brilliant - or possibly ethically bankrupt - idea ...

i bought another remote on day two, and since i only wanted cnn international, i left the tv on for the next three days. i manually controlled the volume, turning it down to zero when i was either asleep or out and about. at night, i would put a towel over the flat panel to darken the light from the screen. saved me 10 or 15 chf or, as i like to think of it, one-tenth of a vitra model chair.

Apr 12, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
innes

that's funny - the same thought occured to me about the remote - good tip. They also charge 5 CHF for wireless access which is really overdoing it. checked out yesterday, def. Recommend as a cheap place to stay ahead but try to book ahead - the backpacker place recommended above would have been a better deal but was all booked.
cheers

Apr 13, 10 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Basel YMCA. As mentioned, it is very clean, modern, offers solid breakfast and is very close to the train and major tram station. It's a bit out of the main city center, but a quick ride in on the tram (5 minutes maybe), as well as being quiet and inexpensive. The rooms were co-ed as I recall, and the place more religiously-geared than the YMCAs in the US, but no one seemed to harp on that. I'd recommend it for a comfortable, affordable stay.

I'd also recommend checking out this little brewpub if you appreciate good beer.

Apr 13, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
innes

I had a few of these brews (Ueli) at various locations around town - very tasty.

Apr 13, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: