Archinect
anchor

Stage II Results for FRAMING A MODERN MASTERPIECE | The City + The Arch + The River

For those of you who haven't seen it yet. The stage II results have been announced.

The five teams have been selected to advance to the design phase of the international competition to reinvigorate the area around the Gateway Arch and connect it to downtown St. Louis, the Mississippi River and the Illinois bank.

* Behnisch Team
* MVVA Team
* PWP Landscape Architecture, Foster + Partners, Civitas
* SOM, Hargreaves, BIG
* Weiss/Manfredi Team

Via link

I found a couple of things interesting....

a) Weiss/Manfredi Team mentions D.I.R.T. studio as a consultant. That should prove interesting.

b) that from what i could see from my reading of the 5 brief presentations on the site the presentation for the team of SOM, Hargreaves, BIG is the only one which explicitly mentions East St. Louis in in presentation..

Which as a former resident i found interesting. Plus, the competition specifically mentions addressing the Illinois side as a requirement..

Apr 7, 10 10:25 pm

What do you all think?

Apr 7, 10 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

no one?

Apr 8, 10 8:08 am  · 
 · 

hmmm, i look forward to seeing the proposals... after a very quick glance a few things struck me...

-i wonder how SOM, BIG, and Hargreaves will mesh and who will be the dominant voice...

-the behnisch team has public space guru jan gehl and WUSTL prof. eric mumford... mumford's local knowledge might give them an advantage...

-weiss/manfredi (who i love... go UPenn!) seems to the one team in which there is a very clear leader... in their case, you're getting them and everyone else seems to clearly be a sub-consultant...

the dynamic of the jury could be very interesting... will olin through his weight behind his upenn colleagues weiss/manfredi? will boston based robert campbell and alex krieger side with either of the GSD landscape profs (mvva or hargreaves)?

Apr 8, 10 9:57 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hargreaves has had some notable riverfront projects recently, but it seems like they are playing a secondary role? I too wonder how that team will come together since they seem to be coming from different perspectives.

MVVA team also has Stephen Holl... but I don't know what advantage that gives them.

are we placing bets? we haven't seen any boards yet...

Apr 8, 10 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: