Archinect
anchor

SOS

WTFDIGMI

Hi All,

My name is WTFDIGMI- WTF Did I Get Myself Into. I am in grade 17, and I am about to be given a diploma without against my will. I wish I could still stay in college and enjoy live the relatively carefree life, but, alas, I have no choice.
My Info:
Will graduate 2010 major in Art History form UCI
2008 UCLA Jump Start
2009 Harvard Career Discovery
Off Year after graduation Plan:
• Rework Projects
• Art classes
• Read Books
• GRE!! Fuck.
• And I DESPRATELY want to find an internship paid/unpaid it doesn’t matter.

My ? is what dose it take to get my foot in the door?
I know AutoCAD, should I get certified.
What else should I learn so that I can be of some use in an architects office. Dose it make sense for me to take a building codes class, with no previous experience in the subject?

Thank You for your time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Apr 6, 10 4:36 am
WTFDIGMI

Anybody??

Apr 6, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

First, learn to control your predisposition for vulgarity and crude language.

I would never want your foul tongue to work for me or around me.

Apr 6, 10 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

STOP!!!!
What are you thinking?
First of all, there are people who are qualified that have been trying to find work for about a year or more.
Second, "paid" or "unpaid"? My friend, if you work you need to get paid (as much as possible). You are not doing anyone any favors by diluting our salaries. Study some economics or business and you'll figure that out. Studying seems to be your thing anyway.
Third, it doesn't look like you are an architect. Learn how to put a building together. Learn how to draw. Learn that knowing how to use a piece of software doesn't make you an architect.

Forget trying to get an internship. If you have an interest in architecture then take some courses. You may quickly realize that the sacrifices are too much. They are for most people. Its not a good time to be trying to get your foot in the door anyway.

Apr 6, 10 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

... _ _ _ ...

yeah being familiar with building codes always helps

and do you have stuff that shows yer cad skills? employers want to see what you're able to produce on cad.

from other threads some archinecters say getting certified in cad is a waste of time but if you don't have an architecture degree i would say it couldn't hurt to get 'certified' (though i don't know what that even involves. you take an eight hour class then a test or something?).

other then that i don't know what to say except that the number of applications per job opening is huge right now so almost no one is getting hired and i know this because i apply for everything from drafting intern to project architect ..

Apr 6, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

Vulgarity is subjective and cultural. I can't imagine being able to get anything done at my office with out dropping the F-bomb. No worries WTF .

Apr 6, 10 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what the FUCK is grade 17 ?!?

Apr 6, 10 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Where are those happy days, they seem so hard to find
I try to reach for you, but you have closed your mind
Whatever happened to our love
I wish I understood
It used to be so nice, it used to be so good

So when you're near me, darling can't you hear me
SOS
The love you gave me, nothing else can save me
SOS
When you're gone (when you're gone)
How can I even try to go on
Though I try how can I carry on

You seem so far away though you are standing near
You made me feel alive, but something died I fear
I really tried to make it out
I wish I understood
What happened to our love, it used to be so good

SOS
The love you gave me, nothing else can save me
SOS
When you're gone (when your gone)

SOS
And the love you gave me, nothing else can save me
SOS

Apr 6, 10 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what the .._. .._ _._. _._ !?! you like ABBA?

Apr 6, 10 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

this thread was so ridiculous it warranted an equally ridiculous response.

but really, who doesn't enjoy a little abba from time to time?

Apr 6, 10 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

This is not my trolling, fyi. I would have already broke down into severe vulgarity.

But I am fuckin' like a billionaire.

Apr 6, 10 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
WTFDIGMI

I am sorry for my vulgar language. This is a form where I may be in communication with potential employers and admissions officers, and the language i used was unnecessarily inappropriate and unprofessional.

Hi, FRaC & plugnpla, Thank You for your responses. I am well aware of the cuntroversy surrounding unpaid internshits at for profit firms. But because of my inexperience I dont think i would be dispissing legitimate and much needed employment opportunities any time soon. Point noted though.

As for ..-. ** -.-, I don't appreciate your condescension regarding my serious life predicament. I don't see what is so ridiculous about the advice I am soliciting. I know times are tough and people much more qualified than I are jobless but I am not giving up yet. I am not desperate to throw myself under a fuck but I things are just depressing.

Thanks again and sorry for my foul language.
-WT*DIGMI

Apr 6, 10 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
WTFDIGMI

As for Unicorn Slaughter, the video you linked was thoroughly revolting. The gratuitous use of profanities, the sexual innuendo and sex simulation with non humans, crush fetishes, and homosexual men were not only completely irrelevant to the topic but also deeply offensive. You are doing a great service to society and and potentially psychologically disturbing unprepared youth who may be searching here for career advise.

Very Disappointed.
-WT*DIGMI

Apr 6, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
WTFDIGMI

As for Unicorn Slaughter, the video you linked was thoroughly revolting. The gratuitous use of profanities, the sexual innuendo and sex simulation with non humans, crush fetishes, and homosexual men were not only completely irrelevant to the topic but also deeply offensive. You are doing a great service to society and and potentially psychologically disturbing unprepared youth who may be searching here for career advise.

Very Disappointed.
-WT*DIGMI

Apr 6, 10 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Alright buddy...you want my advice, well here goes:

- For starters I would work on your English skills. I'm not sure where you are from, and frankly it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you are in the US and offices are not likely to go out of their way to understand you, esp. with such a high labor pool to choose from. I don't say this to be offensive... any other country would expect the same if someone from the US was working there. Have someone you know read over your resume and cover letter to make sure everything reads properly. This will also help later on when you decide to go Graduate School. Trust me...I have seen more than one student suffer from not being able to communicate and understand their instructors and fellow students.

- Understand that the likelihood of finding any employment in this market is pretty slim, paid or unpaid. There are just too many experienced architects that are still unemployed and actively looking and are often applying to the internship positions you are interested in.

- Be very certain you understand what is acceptable as an UNPAID internship. Search the discussion forum here and educate yourself on what offices can and can not do. There is a huge influx of offices providing unpaid internship that clearly violate the guidelines. While accepting these positions may allow you to gain the experience you are looking for, they seriously undermine the profession as a whole by driving down wages.

- Other than that, there is plenty you can do outside of an office to educate yourself about the profession. Learn software... take an introduction course at your local college... read... the list goes on. The bottom line is that the study and practice of architecture requires one to be creative and resourceful. Everything we do is about problem solving. So the best thing you can do to train yourself is to try solving some of these problems on your own.

Finally, learn to take a joke man. You are not the only person on this discussion forum juggling life's dilemmas and when you step back from the problem, things are really never as bad as you think. No one is dying so there really is no need for the level of alarm you have approached this situation with.

Apr 6, 10 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Oh, I'm sorry.

If there's anything u want, let me know.

Apr 6, 10 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
WTFDIGMI

.._. .._ _._. _._

Flagrant typos, unintentionally truncated words, and punctuation errors...yes. I should be more diligent. I am what you call "submit happy", i find myself editing after it is already submitted. But having received glowing reviews of my written work form Harvard, and Mit-educated professors to the likes of "This is a very well written essay" I am fairly confident in my English skills.

BUT,point noted.

I also understand your point about the possibilities of self directed enrichment outside the office. This is my plan for the next year. But there are so many different design programs I dont know where to start. Where should I go form autocad...Maya? Rhino? Is it worth spending $1200 learning Maya at ucla during summer?

Finally, I didn't mean to come across as suicidal. That sentence was serving a wholly different purpose, which i thought was fairly obvious.

Thanks, WTFDIGMI

Unicorn Slaughter, your link inspired me to masturbate.
Thanks.

Apr 6, 10 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

How much Money did your Parents spend on your college education? I would say $1,200.00 is a piss in the bucket compared to what they have been tossing at you for a long time.

Apr 7, 10 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Get on board this disco choo choo train!

Apr 7, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

A war on money or a war because of money? I don't know... I'm just a (U)$$ trooper.

Apr 7, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

But if you look close enough, there's always a golden prize to be found.

Apr 7, 10 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: