Archinect
anchor

University of Washington: applicants+admits / questions+answers

MArch4April

For those who have applied, been accepted, or are just generally curious, this forum is to discuss the UW MArch program (in Seattle).

I will be attending the open house tomorrow (4/2) and also plan to attend the program. I am a long-time Seattle resident so would be happy to help answer questions about living or visiting the area.

Go Huskies!

Apr 1, 10 2:19 pm
stuzzzzie

well congrats march4april,

i have been wait-listed which is kinda of crazy since i was accepted last year. hopefully i will hear something soon, though i still have to make decisions for other programs just in case.

come on UW!

Apr 1, 10 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@MArch4April - Still don't know whether I've actually gotten in, so I obviously won't be going to open house. If I find out I've been accepted, would you mind filling me in?

At this point, I'm expecting a rejection letter, but still really hoping for an acceptance.

Not a Seattle resident - am from Walla Walla, but currently living in CA. Not important, just thought you might like to know...

Apr 1, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
wahwoahā„¢

MArch4April - Are you in the 3+ year at UW or the 2+? Congrats on getting in, I live near Seattle and UW is my hope to be future school for March 3 yr.

Apr 1, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

I'm a 3+ year.

I'll try to write up a report of the open house sometime this weekend.

Apr 1, 10 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
clearlyambguous

Waitlist for me as well....too bad the waitlisters weren't invited to the Open House. It would have made me decide whether or not I wanted to stay on the list.

Apr 2, 10 12:01 am  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

its a great school and the campus is amazing! everything is nearby and lots to do. hopefully us waitlisters will see you guys in the fall. if not, im heading to the east coast.

Apr 2, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
wahwoahā„¢

what is your undergrad in MArch4April if you dont mind my asking?

Apr 2, 10 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Droselle

I got into the 2+ program. It's my top choice for M.Arch but I got into an urban studies program in London. Its a one-year Masters and will probably go there this year. I want to defer but I don't think they will let me.

Stuzzzzie--i'm surprised you got in then got waitlisted for the next year. it's kind of what I'm banking on.

Let me know how the open house went. I'm studying abroad in England right now.

congrats to everyone who is accepted! does anyone know how many people are in each studio?

Apr 3, 10 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

----0----: My BA is in Art History.

The open house was great. UW certainly knows who they are (and who they aren't). They have a very strong identity. That was really attractive to me since they seemed very stable and confident in their program and aren't trying to be something different. Because of this I think they'll end up with an extremely cohesive class. Throughout the day they stressed the program's strengths in "craft", connection to the natural environment, and relationship with the city of Seattle (in terms of both architecture professionals and community support). They also have a lot of hands-on opportunities (their furniture studio sounds amazing!)

I also loved the studio atmosphere, especially for the 3-year program. They seemed really supportive of each other and it was a pleasant environment. Overall, extremely friendly students!

Droselle- They expect between 20-25 students in the 3-year program and 50 in the 2 year program. So I think the 2 year program ends up with 70 students in each year (after the 3-years join the new 2 years) and then the group is divided by 4 for each studio.

Stuzzzzie- They did have a huge increase in applications this year so their acceptance rate was even lower than in past years.

Hope that's helpful! Let me know if anyone else has other questions.

Apr 4, 10 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
astew426

Thanks for the update MArch. I'm also on the waitlist for this year's class and have a few questions that perhaps were answered at the open house. One, you mentioned the relationship between UW and the Seattle area is strong, but I wonder if that limits the breadth of exposure to architectural styles and design in other parts of the world. With that thought in mind, did they talk about where or for whom their recent graduates have found work? And second--or third rather--did they talk about or encourage study abroad? I know they have the school in Rome but saw on the school website mention of studios or semesters in India and Mexico City...care to shed some light if possible?

Apr 5, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

astew426--
You're asking pretty detailed questions. They did cover these areas at the open house but I think it would be irresponsible of me to comment on the program (since I have limited knowledge and might not articulate it correctly!) I would call someone in the department (maybe the Graduate Academic Adviser, Claudine Manio) and ask her if there's someone you could speak to.

In terms of study abroad-- they mentioned Rome, Scandinavia, Mexico City, India, and Japan. And yes, they do seem to support it!

I hope that's helpful! Sorry I can't answer everything for you.

Apr 5, 10 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
astew426

MArch, thanks for the response. I'll contact Claudine to see what I can find. Congratulations on being accepted though. Have you decided where you'll be heading in the Fall?

Apr 6, 10 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

Definitely UW. It was my first choice and I stated that in my statement of purpose.

I was also accepted to CCA, University of Oregon, and UT Austin.

Best of luck to you! Maybe I'll see you in fall.

Apr 7, 10 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

boom bam! In.

Apr 9, 10 11:32 am  · 
 · 
MArch4April

congrats stuzzzzie!!

Apr 9, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
clearlyambguous

stuzzie, when did you turn in your waitlist paperwork and how did you find out?

Apr 11, 10 12:38 am  · 
 · 
little.orange.strip

astew426-

i have been accepted to the 3+ March program, and had similar concerns over the UWs breadth. talking with both faculty and students, our concern is warranted.
in one presentation at the preview day a faculty member mentioned that UW is determined to prepare the next generation of pacific northwest designers (80% of graduates work in the Seattle area). students i spoke with all directed me to speak with a student that is currently battling his way through crits as someone who doesn't want to design pacific northwest regional modernism.

i don't mean to sound negative or overly critical, as there is still a pretty good chance that i'll end up there in the fall...but if "stylistic options" are a big concern for you i have been told that you either need to be flexible, or incredible strong willed.

mArch4April...i think i talked to you, i remember someone telling me that they said in their statement that if they were accepted they would come...=)

Apr 11, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

clearlyambguous-

i turned it in a day after i received the waitlist letter. they called me on the 8th letting me know i was in and the packet was on its way.

Apr 11, 10 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
MArch4April

little.orange.strip--
Yeah, that was probably me... I didn't speak to anyone else who said that.

I interpreted UW's focus on the NW region in a different way. I didn't think it was to mandate one type of style (i.e. “northwest regional modernism") but instead it's meant to help us build connections in the northwest, learn about the use of local materials, use the philosophy of the region to inform our process, etc.

This is architecture school, right? They teach us to become capable designers and to have a unique style! In the magazine of student work that they sent with our acceptances there were many examples of work that didn't fit the current northwest style. I'm surprised that current students are getting push-back!

And when they said that 80% of grads work in the Seattle area, I think that was more because people fall in love with the region during school and don't want to leave not because they can't design in any other style :)

Apr 12, 10 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
C-anad

hello, I have been accepted to M.Arch 2+
But I'm kinda not so sure if I do wanna go there or not for it seems to be soo practical, and I see nothing innovative in their works... But as Im a resident of Washington, it will be chaper for me! my other choices are: SCI-arc, USC, CCA, Calpoly pomona!
My top choice is sci-arc, Do u think that Im making the right decision? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me choose:D

Apr 18, 10 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: