anchor

Burgers

a mouse

Required code to post a link - BDonline

5.71 pounds per/hr =
9.44 Australian dollars
or

8.6 USD

i actually applied with this firm while in the uk last year, i'm really not regretting heading back to oz.

Apr 1, 10 2:51 am
plugnpla

Dispicable!

Apr 1, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

Ouch. I'm actually not sure who I should feel worse for:

- the architect they found for this job

- the people who run the firm - and have set up a business model that requires hiring one expert to do the work of two experts for the price of some fraction of an expert

- the client, who must suffer the end result of the above situation

Wasn't this story kicking around in another thread somewhere?

Apr 1, 10 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

This will be a good job for the guy who wants to take out $260,000 in student loans.

Apr 1, 10 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
pdigi

The person who took that job ...

[A] really needs the money.
[B] will take any job they can get.
[C] doesn't need the money at all and just wants to work for fun.

I say, shame on the firm.

Apr 1, 10 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
crave

I thought this was an april fools joke $10hr

Apr 2, 10 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I hate to say it but this is the reason people are just sticking with unemployment as long as possible. It pays better and you don't have to spend your 14 hours of your day working on something that probably isn't worth your effort.

Apr 3, 10 12:55 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
As far back as 1948, In-N-Out has been the cool place to be. The place to get the freshest burgers, coolest shakes and the hottest fries. More than 50 years later, that reputation still stands. That's why the people we hire as Associates have to be the best. And why we offer...

Great Benefits
We start all our new Associates at a minimum of $10.00 an hour for one simple reason...you are important to us! And our commitment to a higher starting wage is just one of the ways in which we show it. Another way is through offering excellent benefits like flexible schedules to accommodate school and other activities, paid vacations, free meals, comprehensive training, and a 401k plan. For our full time Associates, we provide a benefits package that also includes medical, dental, vision, life and travel insurance coverage.

Apr 3, 10 1:10 am  · 
 · 
pdigi

Too bad there are no In-N-Outs over here on the east coast.

Doesn't Starbucks offer its PART-TIME employees benefits?

Apr 4, 10 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

I hate to think that I went to school for 6 years and accrued 60k in debt to work at starbucks. But it really looks good to me now. My last firm didnt even put me on the books. I guess they saw it coming. No unemployment for me.

Apr 5, 10 12:29 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I believe Costco starts cashiers at something like $14/hr and pays over 90% of employees health benefits. Someone who has been working there for under 5 years can easily make $50,000+ with bonuses.

Kinda makes you wonder about what Architects are paid, especially when the Costco employee goes home with zero stress and worry about work. Few Architects truly can leave work-at-work and that's added stress, which can lead to all kinds of health problems. Nevermind it's usually free labor.

Apr 5, 10 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Ugh, plugnpla, I'm really sorry to hear that your last firm screwed you like that.

Seriously, doesn't it feel like a time of reckoning, so to speak, might be coming? I've heard recently of a young upcoming firm whose work I really, really like offering a 'stipend only' position - they'll buy you lunch! It's heartbreaking. Yes, architects are by reputation lousy at business, and that's a flag some firms hold high, but it's really no excuse for being unethical.

And aqua you are absolutely right about leaving work with no stress. How nice it would be.

Apr 5, 10 9:45 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

you guys stress out after work? i just turn it off. go hike near a mountain stream, or lay on the beach, or get drunk, depending on where i am. seriously, guys, turn it off

Apr 5, 10 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah that is one of the key things to learn in this profession, how to turn it off when you leave

if you are bringing your work home with you all the time, that is just a recipe for disaster

turn it off and enjoy your life while not at work

one guy i work with seems so stressed out all the time, i feel like he must go home and scream at his wife and kids all night before coming back the next day. seems like a miserable way to live

i dont know if it is a different kind of stress than other jobs or something, but it seems to really effect some people a lot. Like in school when that guy in class would get so worked up and stressed out that they couldnt even do their work or have anything done for a final presentation. It wasnt because they couldnt do it, they couldnt deal with the stress to the point where they were never actually doing any work, they were just there 20 hours a day with nothing to show for it

Apr 8, 10 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ oh yeah. I've had a few of those in studio classes over the years. The are always the people you make sure to identify early on (which usually isn't too hard) and make sure you find a studio space as far from as possible the next semester. Stress is contagious and it is so not worth the drama.

I personally recommend finding some athletic activity, be it biking, running, soccer, surfing, gym, etc, and make time for it during the week. It's amazing how much easier things are to deal with after a good 2 hour run.

Apr 8, 10 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

Its a shame. I remember taking my lunch break at McD's ordering off the value menue knowing the kid that I was ordering from was getting mor than I was. He didn't even have to do his job very well and I sure he got benefits.

Apr 8, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: