Archinect
anchor

Wash U. vs. Cal Berkeley

guyforget

Graduates of these schools, or anyone with good knowledge on these programs could help me greatly, thanks...

Apr 1, 10 2:27 am
guesswho

WUSTL really has an unparalleled international study option. Depending on what program you enter, you can do up to 2 semesters abroad studying architecture in Buenos Aires, Helsinki, or Seoul.

I also think Bruce Lindsey is a fantastic person to be heading the program at Wash U. He seems to have a perfect experience and balance between the cutting edge (exhibitions on Frank Ghery modeling) and the practical building aspect (several years as dean at Auburn). They have a great dual major option in construction management.

Berkeley has a reputation of producing architectural professors and historians more-so than architects.

In the end, it comes down to your personal goals and objectives. Both are great schools.

I think if you want to really focus on one particular aspect within architecture and explore it, have intentions of entering academia and love great weather, than Berkeley is the place to go.

If you are looking for a super well rounded program that will prepare you well for practice with a global design pallet, then I suggest WUSTL.

Hope this helped.

Apr 1, 10 9:58 am  · 
 · 
guyforget

It did, thanks...

Apr 1, 10 11:20 am  · 
 · 
guyforget

Looking through the little catalog that Wash U sent me it appears as if the nurture analog drawing still, could you comment on that please? Is it true, etc. I think Berkeley foregoes the analog these days, for the most part. I am interested in the process of design just as much as the product.

Thanks...

Apr 1, 10 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

good questions and comments, tyler. it's interesting that berkeley has a reputation of producing academics rather than practicing architects. as odd as it may be to admit, i'm probably more interested in staying in academia anyway. though it's good that the program is accredited and i'd have the option to practice architecture and even gain licensure one day if that's the route i decide to go. it's so hard to know how i'll feel about this in 1, 2, or 3 years.

if you don't mind, email me your statement of purpose and personal history statements. i have a feeling our perspectives may be in line as far at using architecture as a vehicle for our more humanitarian pursuits. i can email you my emails as well if you're interested. they're definitely very personal, and probably pretty weird.

i really do hope you end up at berkeley. it would be nice to have you around :)

Apr 1, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: