Archinect
anchor

Dislike Model Bldg and Computers

blee

What if I dislike physical model building and working with computer programs...should I still consider working in architecture?

Mar 30, 10 7:45 pm
Paradox

I guess the only way to get employment or internship at a firm is to know some software programs. That's how we all start.

Mar 30, 10 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

Not if you don't like computer programs. Unfortunately, for at least the first ten years the expectation is that generally you'll be stuck as a CAD monkey in school and in practice. Maybe if you are extremely lucky or fortunate by attending the exact right school or land the perfect job that you might be able to avoid computers, but more and more (unfortunately) this is not really feasible.

In fact, I wonder how long it will be until the AIA rebrands themselves the AIIA (the American INstitute of Information Architects)?

IT is pretty sad when you go to the AIA's website and they are "partners" with Autodesk and promote "diversity" to the exclusion of actually pursuing the science of BUILDING STRUCTURES!

Mar 30, 10 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

No.

There is absolutely no way for you to avoid those things (and still earn a salary) in architecture.

Hand drafting is no longer an efficient way to work, and sketches don't get buildings built, so you might be out of luck sir.

Mar 30, 10 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I agree. No. Seems like a silly question. That's like saying "Should I be a painter if I don't like brushes?" or "should I be an accountant if I don't like calculators?"

Before even working, how can you design and communicate your ideas?

Mar 31, 10 12:30 am  · 
 · 
blee

Thanks guys for your comments.

Mar 31, 10 1:13 am  · 
 · 

Despite what many here will tell you, there are careers in architecture that do not involve drafting (but not many).

If you are very interested in Construction, you can have an education that is focused on building technology and you can become an Architectural Technologist which some firms employ to specialize in different building methods. There are also firms that have spec writers (very knowledgeable about unique characters of products and materials) and others that focus on Construction Administration and never, ever, ever come near a computer.

Some firms that pursue evidence based design (my personal interest) employ research assistants. Many firms that have niche markets have jobs that require a specific skillset that may or may not include computer software.

It would however, be very difficult to come out of a respectable M Arch these days without having some sort of computer experience... it may be that your 'dislike' of computer programs (you used a computer program to write this post, didn't you?) is due to a lack of education about them, there are many different 'modelers' and maybe you just haven't found one that fits your bill.

Good luck!

Mar 31, 10 9:41 am  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

I am a Licensed Architect and I dislike computers because it doesn't make good business sense to allow the software coroprations and engineers to use the operator as leverage against themselves and for the company which sells the software.

Everyday my goal since leaving the trenches of the porfession (where I was expected to be a CAD monkey) is to use computers the least amount of time that I can.

I noticed over the years that the really successful, respected Architects who own the businesses actually do extremely little computer operation.

As soon as Donald Trump and Bill Gates start applying for those 35k positions within giant A/E/C firms as CAD monkeys, I don't think I'll be reconsidering my goals either.

Yes, you might have to spend ten years suffering through a heavy load of computer B.S. to get to the other side, but once its over, it can be up to you to decide how much or how little you are willing to do.

I hate it, so my focus is now on how to get all the other CAD monkeys out there to do all the monkeying on CAD for me that I can and avoid that which is not profitable.

Mar 31, 10 11:02 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

@obiwankenobi: you have to take into account that most (if not all) "really successful, respected Architects" have started at a lower level, too: they drafted their first plans themselves, detailed every single corner themselves (even though it wasn't necessarily on a computer).
They didn't wake up one day with 40 people staff that make computer models of sketches they did on paper towels, or something.

As far as careers in architecture that don't involve computers go: if you work directly on site, literally in construction, you don't have too much to do with computers - except for planning software and such.
Other than that, I think that computer work is pretty much key in every aspect of the job. As in most other careers, too...

Mar 31, 10 11:50 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Yes you can become an architect despite disliking physical models and computer programmes. The difficulty will be in progressing through architecture school - liking it and knowing it are two different things.

And to add what loremipsum said there are a few careers that don't require one to make models or use computer programmes that a degree in architecture satisfies. I'll even add that there are many architects practices today that choose not to use CAD (the notion about efficiency is not factual as CAD/BIM can increase it but it is not guaranteed)

Also the comment, "sketches don't get buildings built" is the furthest from the truth. Who hasn't had to do sketches on site to explain something? I've actually used entire sketches nts to get smaller projects built (street , small refurbs, that did not require planning submission)

if you are in loving with designing, and specifically the design of buildings blee go for it. You may have to do things you don't like to progress through school and the licensing process but I would love to find someone who hasn't had to do something they disliked to get through

Mar 31, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

SAve it for Bill Gates usernametaken.

Drafting details isn't about "lower level" work...it is about quality or the lack thereof.

What the computer is about all is the ability to capture and archive the thoughts of the minions and its ability to leverage scale against the operator.

But then again, I wouldn't expect someone that thinks in terms of drafting and detailing as "lower level" to understand that.

You keep doing your thing at the plankton level of the food chain and I'll do mine.

Mar 31, 10 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

Even more than computers what I dislike about the profession is that as one progresses "down through the ranks" it is definately not a top feeding professional society like maybe law or medicine. It is definitely a pursuit that seeks "lowest common denominator" to solve any situation.

In other words there is this constant expectation leveraged against the bottom feeders to aspire to abuse themselves in the pursuit of serving the computer in pursuing absurd ends; the typical "how to fit 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag."

Computers do not work miracles. They only perform illusions.

Smoke and mirrors so those who displace ownership of themselves in order to serve the machine can not see reality.

Humans are the miracle.

Men who serve the machine are the illusion.

red or blue pill?

blee, I'd recommend becomming a doctor or a lawyer or getting an MBA, as it is not practically possible to expect to serve the human from inside this profession any longer.

Of course, if you care to fight the machine from within, you are welcome to join me.

But as you can see you'll ahve your work cut out for you.

Mar 31, 10 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

And, I might add, the fight against the idiots who serve the machine and seek to destroy the humanity of the individual is only going to get more and more difficult with every passing year...for who knows how long.

The good news is that they will fail...its just going to have to get extremely ugly right up until the end.

Mar 31, 10 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Well, computers are just tools. One can have a vast knowledge of architecture and still not use computers. Ever noticed teachers who teaches and never uses computers or principles that just directs his staff and limits himself on the computer because he’s out promoting the business? Granted it’s impossible to avoid computers and as technology becomes an extension in our daily routines but you’re basically wasting your time in this field. I did say it’s a tool but using tools allows us to explore in territories we can only use with computers. Everything we learn in school was about exploration in the digital realm but others felt differently and venture in other areas within the field that they thought would be exciting. If you can offer something to the field, then it wouldn’t be a waste of your time. But everyone seems to agree that the fun part is using cutting tech software.

Mar 31, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

tuna said, "But everyone seems to agree that the fun part is using cutting tech software."

If I am a non person then your statement might hold true.

Mar 31, 10 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

me neither. A tool is a tool is a tool. Just another way to get a result - it is senseless making the "means" appear to be "ends".
On the other hand: a way to use as many different tools as possible can only benefit you - and therefore cutting edge tech software is useful...

Mar 31, 10 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

this is honestly one of the most absurd discussion threads on archinect in recent memory.

Mar 31, 10 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

hear hear!

Mar 31, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Well, you have to offer some sort of skill to a company, right? A software company doesn’t hire people that still play with the old Nintendo NES video games using the power glove. If your heart and soul is tied within several different platforms, then you might have something to offer. You don’t necessarily have to stick with action and strategic games. You can play the classic ones too, but so much as evolved. Granted some testers climb the corporate latter to management; some enjoy testing, some enjoy the business aspect, some enjoy developing the game and others prefer socializing with human beings while others are at home yelling at the screen with their headphones and earpiece on a mutil-user game forum nerd’ing it up with World of Warcraft or Call of duty. But I’m just saying…..what do you want to do?

Mar 31, 10 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: