Archinect
anchor

MARCH...titles vs quality vs other people's views

danwkim

i am trying to decide between washu and ucla, but was discouraged to see that neither were ranked this year. i would like to hear thoughts however on the two schools as to the quality of the program, whether it is more difficult to get a job without a title like "gsd graduate," and possibly famous architect alumns from the schools. right now, tuition is a strong concern so ucla is looking good since i can claim in-state after my first year, but i hear that ucla's program is not well recognized. is this true?

Mar 29, 10 5:18 pm
c.k.

where'd you hear that?

Mar 29, 10 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

uhh, it's pretty 'recognized'

Mar 29, 10 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

I visited many architecture schools in the past year, and UCLA's student Master's work that was displayed in their gallery was far and away the most resolved, beautifully articulated student work I had seen.

Both WashU and UCLA are great programs... also, WashU is indeed rated as the #11 Graduate architecture school in the country in 2010.

Design Intelligence generates their rankings based on surveys from American architects in practice. I posted a list of the firms that are queried in this years M Arch commiserate thread (page 40?). Whether or not you believe that this has any real value is up to you... in my opinion, these rankings are BS (entertaining, though).

UCLA has (among other things) Neil Denari, Greg Lynn, Thom Mayne... I'm curious to know why you would have applied to the school without knowing these common facts.

Good luck to you!

Mar 30, 10 9:21 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

I dont use my M Arch qualification on my business cards or email signature. I would make me look like a 'arty farty' tosser whos spent too long in college and is useless in the real world.

Don't get too tied up with ranking rubbish.

Mar 30, 10 9:57 am  · 
 · 
danwkim

thanks for the feedback folks. i applied knowing just the bare bones of grad schools and ucla was more to follow a friend than anything else, as well as the warm weather. take it for what you will.

Mar 31, 10 1:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: