Archinect
anchor

Architecture School Traditions

ginkgobiloba

What strange and unusual traditions lurk in your architecture school?

Mar 28, 10 8:50 pm

rubbing the foot of the bronze George Washington: Cincinnatus sculpture as you walk through the rotunda in Alumni Hall. The sculpture was cast from an original by Jean-Antoine Houdon

probably a singular tradition

Mar 29, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 
urbanlandscape

Cursing Peter Eisenman and his leaking addition at the University of Cincinnati's DAAP building. More of an informal tradition.

Mar 29, 10 7:50 am  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

Clemson - Taping up cardboard to the windows on the south facing windows of the studios in the summer to keep from boiling in the modernist bake-box that is Lee Hall...

Mar 29, 10 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

I really need to use the "PREVIEW" feature more often...

Mar 29, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

stealing all of the crap students don't take home after studio was finished.

Mar 29, 10 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

lets see:

DRAGON DAY : freshman build dragon, quad is toilet papered, teeshirts designed and sold, various other pranks throughout campus, upperclassmen get very drunk+dress up and parade with dragon thru camps
visuals at www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March10/DragonDay2010.html

desk day - ransack first year studio during their first major review

pumpkin day - toss pumpkins filled w/ random stuff from library windows

sprinkler day- threaten to turn on sprinklers in studio watch first years cover desks with plastic...then a have party in studio

milk day- milk chugging contest freshman vs. upperclassmen

!!!

most of these have been curbed over recent years...sadly

Mar 29, 10 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

*campus

Mar 29, 10 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
jzahner

Mississippi State University

Our arch building has a three story straight run of stairs that we used for our stair luge. Now I work for the guy who designed that building and he is still thinking of ways to stop students from riding plywd model bases down 50 vertical feet of stairs.

Mar 30, 10 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

nude runs along the window edge that goes past all the studios

Mar 31, 10 4:47 am  · 
 · 

@a mouse... university of florida?

drafting chair races (one person sits in chair {usually backwards} and another person pushes from behind) in a loop around the 3rd floor open air atrium at the UF architecture building... at the 2nd turn there was always the danger of flying off down the long run of stairs if you had too much speed and couldn't make the turn (which i saw happen at least once)...

also, dropping models to their death from the third floor balcony/walkway to open courtyard below...

Mar 31, 10 8:52 am  · 
 · 
neekahS

gay Tuesday

Apr 1, 10 3:14 am  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

b3tadine[sutures] ---> Its not stealing if they leave all that shit behind. After 1st year, I never had to buy any materials again! And its all thanks to the rich brats, or should i say their parents, who never taught them the value of a dollar.

Apr 1, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: