Archinect
anchor

construction management or structural engineering????

chemitas

I do not know if there are any professionals in all the A/E/C fields in this forum but I will give it a try. Lately I have been thinking very hard about what I really want to do in life. After an associates degree in drafting and design and 3 years experience in the architecture field I decided architecture is not for me. The wages are low for the responsibility and architects seem to be a dime a dozen (not trying to offend anyone). Anyways I have an interest in either structural engineering or construction management. However, my current schedule doe not allow me to go back to school for another 3-4 years. After extensive internet research I found 2 programs taught through distance learning (online) that may be similar to what I am looking for. The first is a BS in construction engineering technology through university of Southern Mississippi, TAC/ABET and ACCE accredited. The second is a BS in civl engineering technology through Old Dominion University TAC/ABET accredited. Anyways, how are these degrees taught online viewed by the employers in these fields? Would either of these degrees help me advance or would I still be a CAD monkey with a nonrespected online degree? I would also qualify to take the EIT exam with either degree but do not know if they would help much being engineering technology online degrees. Please respond, I am open to all comments!!!

Mar 24, 10 7:34 pm
WinstonSmith

You are smart in the firstplace for avoiding Architecture. THe profession isn't worth a hill of beans these days and probably won't be for a long, long time to come, if it is ever owrth anything ever again.

I myself am a recently Licensed Architect with an MArch. I am unemployed right now. Anyone that I interview with seems to be hiring people for half what was already a relatively low wage for the amount of effort and time put in.

Regarding Construction Management: I was just let go after 2 1/2 years doing this full time. It was a great gig, we just couldn't get any more commerical projects in the door with the economy sucking wind right now. I liked it at least 5x more than all 6 of my previous positions in architecture firms. And I made 4x more (after subtracting 50k/year for cost of living expeses). PLus I had full health insurance coverage for my family of 4, free cell phone, 100% free gas, and an office all to myself with a big window.

My problem with CM is they intend to hire me again once things pick back up, however, I'm not enough of a "meathead"...I am too academic and nerdy to truly thrive in that environment. I did it well and I would do it again if and when given the chance, but as long as I am laid off I am exploring other opportunites outside of Architecture...such as Strcutural Engineering believe it or not.

Regarding Structural Engineering: Upon graduating with a Bachelors in Engineering you can expect to make between 57-90k/year. One of the highest salaries for a Bachelor degree fresh out of school. TO become a structural engineer you will need to take the E.I.T., gain the appropriate supervised experience under a P.E., and then pass the P.E. exam. In some states there is also an additional examination taken called the Strucutral Engineering examination. Even with the architecture economy in the toilet I have had S.E. friends get hired for good positions. THe further architecture falls into the CAD jhockey abyss, others will be willing to so the heavy intellectual lifting, like structural engineers.

Be careful of the online "distance learning" racket. A lot of people in the upper middle class management level know that online degrees are usually not worth jack squat in the real world. THink about it, if this were not the case, don't you think Harvard's business and law school would immediately switch to an online only curriculum?

Mar 24, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: